Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not just you. I always thought it was lame to be named after the state. I think the Kansas City Chiefs and St. Louis Blues sound better than the Missouri Chiefs or Missouri Blues. The Michigan Red Wings, Massachusetts Bruins and Red Sox, etc. That's just me though.
It's probably too late to switch back. People would throw a fit.

I think it really depends on the city/state and team name itself. It's also probably a situation where you're so used to the way it is and has been, that the alternative sounds weird. Missouri Blues actually sounds pretty good, but we're used to St. Louis Blues so it's just a little weird. St. Paul Wild sounds weird to me. Raleigh Hurricanes isn't as good. Miami or Sunrise Panthers also doesn't work to me. Phoenix Cardinals is super weird (although I wouldn't be opposed to the Cardinals rebranding into something else entirely that's more relevant to the state).

Most sports teams are named after the city though, and I personally do prefer Phoenix Coyotes over Arizona Coyotes, but I think they both work.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Isn't there some thinking that Tucson folks are more supportive of a team named Arizona rather than Phoenix?

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Phoenix definitely and not the Coyotes. We will be scavengers no more.

Well in 6 to 8 years lol

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think it really depends on the city/state and team name itself. It's also probably a situation where you're so used to the way it is and has been, that the alternative sounds weird. Missouri Blues actually sounds pretty good, but we're used to St. Louis Blues so it's just a little weird. St. Paul Wild sounds weird to me. Raleigh Hurricanes isn't as good. Miami or Sunrise Panthers also doesn't work to me. Phoenix Cardinals is super weird (although I wouldn't be opposed to the Cardinals rebranding into something else entirely that's more relevant to the state).

Most sports teams are named after the city though, and I personally do prefer Phoenix Coyotes over Arizona Coyotes, but I think they both work.
Do you not know we have Cardinals in this state?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do you not know we have Cardinals in this state?

Or course I know that, but when you think of Arizona imagery, outside of the football team, how far down the list does the cardinal fall? Sun, snakes, coyotes are all relatively close to the top.

It's still a name that followed them from the midwest, as opposed to being homegrown, and all I'm saying is I wouldn't be upset if they rebranded.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Or course I know that, but when you think of Arizona imagery, outside of the football team, how far down the list does the cardinal fall? Sun, snakes, coyotes are all relatively close to the top.

It's still a name that followed them from the midwest, as opposed to being homegrown, and all I'm saying is I wouldn't be upset if they rebranded.
A lot of folks came from the midwest, including myself, I like it. Also, the Cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL, I think keeping the tradition is a good thing.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A lot of folks came from the midwest, including myself, I like it. Also, the Cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL, I think keeping the tradition is a good thing.

Fair enough. There are definitely more people that feel like you than feel like me.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
So Seravalli is again pouring cold water on Daly’s and Bettman’s comments, stating that he is more focused on what they didn’t say versus what they did.

He mentions the following:

- Bettman and Daly did not say that the Coyotes were for sure playing in Mullett Arena next year. He hints that this potentially provides a chance for them to try and force a sale back to the league so that the league can profit from the sale and a relocation fee from Ryan Smith/SLC.

- States that according to his reporting behind the scenes, the NHL may be exploring the way they can legally obtain the team back from Meruelo. Says one way they could do this is make Meruelo “whole” by replacing every dollar he has spent as the owner.

- States that he believes the NHL does not want to partner with Meruelo anymore.

- States that the NHL would need to make this decision within the next 70 days or it will become too late for them to not give AM the chance to win the auction and see where that goes

- States that he believes there have been talks of relocating the team this year, and granting an expansion team to Arizona in 2 years once an arena is built, but also mentions that he believes the NHL would not want to do that with AM. Would prefer another owner do that (doesn’t make sense though, as AM is most likely the only bidder that has plans to build an NHL arena within 2 years.)

Start at 21:10

Last edited:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
then we transition from Seravalli to Friedman. Friedman does hint at some on the same, but states he believes the likelihood is that the NHL waits to see the result of the auction. Says the idea of the NHL opting to move the franchise is a “tin-foil hat” idea. SEE BOLDED IN QUOTE BELOW

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly admitted Wednesday there was probably not enough time to relocate the Arizona Coyotes should everyone wait until June’s scheduled land auction to determine the franchise’s future.

By now, we’ve learned not to assume anything when it comes to this story. There are always twists, nothing ever happens as scheduled or expected. That said, to those present, it sounded like we should prepare for the possibility — if not likelihood — the Coyotes play in Mullett Arena in 2024-25. And I do believe that is a potential outcome.

It’s definitely what the NHL prefers. A long, healthy future in a state it has fought for like Mamma Bear protecting her cubs.

“We would have preferred to be in a new arena by now,” Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “We would have preferred the referendum in Tempe went the other way, but it didn’t. So we deal with what we can deal with. Having said that, we believe that Arizona, particularly the greater Phoenix area, is a good NHL market.”
Bettman said he has a good idea of the auction date. Multiple sources have advised to wait for auction details, because those could reveal what the winner must do with the land. If it is directed for arena use, it will be interesting to see if owner Alex Meruelo faces competition.

Some of my tin-foil-hat wearing friends took time away from their Kate Middleton watch to say they interpreted Daly’s comment to mean that, if the NHL sees any concern prior to June, they might decide on a move before the auction date. I include that because I do think the league is working on contingencies in case something strange happens.

In the meantime, employees wait for clarity and players investigate their options, which may be limited to asking for a trade if they don’t like the outcome.

But I do believe the preferred path is to see how the auction unfolds — what must be done with the land, if Meruelo faces competition, and if he wins, as he is determined to do.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seravalli is a complete hack. Everything he does and says is strictly for more views=more money. Of course he's suggesting there's a good chance they relocate, it's what's popular right now.

I don't doubt the league is exploring contingencies should things go terribly sideways, I just don't believe they will step on any toes to make their contingencies a reality. But any good company/corporation/organization has contingencies for the big things. I think certain people are reading too much into the NHL having those.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

Long time pet peeve of mine. Panthers, Kings, Giants, Rangers, & Cardinals with multiple franchises sharing these names. How 'bout some uniqueness and originality? AZ Cardinals would be on the short list for needing a rebrand.

Reactions: AKL

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So Seravalli is again pouring cold water on Daly’s and Bettman’s comments, stating that he is more focused on what they didn’t say versus what they did.

- Bettman and Daly did not say that the Coyotes were for sure playing in Mullett Arena next year. He hints that this potentially provides a chance for them to try and force a sale back to the league so that the league can profit from the sale and a relocation fee from Ryan Smith/SLC.

- States that according to his reporting behind the scenes, the NHL may be exploring the way they can legally obtain the team back from Meruelo. Says one way they could do this is make Meruelo “whole” by replacing every dollar he has spent as the owner.

- States that he believes the NHL does not want to partner with Meruelo anymore.

- States that the NHL would need to make this decision within the next 70 days or it will become too late for them to not give AM the chance to win the auction and see where that goes

- States that he believes there have been talks of relocating the team this year, and granting an expansion team to Arizona in 2 years once an arena is built, but also mentions that he believes the NHL would not want to do that with AM. Would prefer another owner do that (doesn’t make sense though, as AM is most likely the only bidder that has plans to build an NHL arena within 2 years.)

Good luck with that lawsuit. Muerelo ain't going quietly and not at a break-even price.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Good luck with that lawsuit. Muerelo ain't going quietly and not at a break-even price.
I believe this is it. The NHL has been questioning AM moves and probably have tried to buy him out. (All-star break) AM said FU and lawyered up. Now it's in NHL court, increase the money, force the sale and prepare for legal battle or give AM rope and hopefully build a case. Everything hinges on franchise agreement and sale contract. The wording is so critical. I believe the NHL wants AZ market but do not want AM 6 to 8 years tank in a college barn.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I believe this is it. The NHL has been questioning AM moves and probably have tried to buy him out. (All-star break) AM said FU and lawyered up. Now it's in NHL court, increase the money, force the sale and prepare for legal battle or give AM rope and hopefully build a case. Everything hinges on franchise agreement and sale contract. The wording is so critical. I believe the NHL wants AZ market but do not want AM 6 to 8 years tank in a college barn.
Why would the NHL be against a thorough rebuild? And it's not gonna be 6 to 8 years in a college barn.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Note that with Seravalli he's always saying he "believes" or "thinks" something. That's isn't reporting.... it's editorial content.

He's editorializing because he knows that panders to his followers and pays his bills.

If Meruelo pulls this off it'll be interesting to watch how he reacts.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Frank Seravalli is the David Shoalts of Gary Lawless's.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Live look inside the Daily Faceoff headquarters:

1711051338009.png

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I believe everything you wrote was just a lead up to once again express your disdain for the rebuild. lol

Reactions: Kai Yo T
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad