AEW All Elite Wrestling #7: An Anxious Millennial World Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
No. Orange Cassidy is a sideshow.

An entertaining, popular and needed one, but not someone you build around.

I'm not sure I agree. I know he's mostly a comedy character but his character can be easily tweaked a bit to be a serious contender. He's had world title matches and I bought him as a contender in those.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm not sure I agree. I know he's mostly a comedy character but his character can be easily tweaked a bit to be a serious contender. He's had world title matches and I bought him as a contender in those.

He is an important part of the program, sure. But he is not a main event talent.

I mean, I like the guy, but let's be realistic.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well when you think of the pillars, it's interesting if those are your four guys then why isn't Hangman on that list? Age?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
As of right now I can see orange Cassidy being a TNT champ but I don’t know if I view him as AEW champ.

Who knows a lot can change in the future and maybe he will look like one. You just never know.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
There's been a lot of recent talk in TV of the 4 pillars of AEW: MJF, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara.

Does anyone else think Orange Cassidy should be in that conversation? Those are the 5 guys that are really over that I hadn't even heard of before AEW.

I gotta say, I don't get the Jungle Boy appeal at all. Maybe it's the gimmick? Or that he's not that good a promo? IDK just can't explain it. The other 3 I'm all aboard the hype train with.

Cassidy is already 37 so not really in that age range to be a "pillar" and while great, his gimmick is upper midcard at most.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I gotta say, I don't get the Jungle Boy appeal at all. Maybe it's the gimmick? Or that he's not that good a promo? IDK just can't explain it. The other 3 I'm all aboard the hype train with.

Cassidy is already 37 so not really in that age range to be a "pillar" and while great, his gimmick is upper midcard at most.

Oh shit. Well this answers my question. For some reason, I thought OC was under 25. Forget I brought it up guys.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Well when you think of the pillars, it's interesting if those are your four guys then why isn't Hangman on that list? Age?

Don't know if I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure either JR or Schiavone said the pillars are all under 25. Hangman is 30. Which is still very young for wrestling.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Don't know if I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure either JR or Schiavone said the pillars are all under 25. Hangman is 30. Which is still very young for wrestling.

I'm wrong about this. Just checked and Darby is 28.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

had no idea he was 37!! I thought he was under 30.

Reactions: Megahab

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
When was Billy Gunn ever over? When he was in the NAO pre-DX it was Roaddogg on the mic that got them over. When he was with DX he was over because DX was over, which is like saying Vincent was over because the NWO was over.
Billy & Chuck was over

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
When was Billy Gunn ever over? When he was in the NAO pre-DX it was Roaddogg on the mic that got them over. When he was with DX he was over because DX was over, which is like saying Vincent was over because the NWO was over.

I catch bits and pieces of AEW Dynamite and when I seen the graphic advertising Billy Gunn this week I couldn't believe he was still actively performing. Can you imagine the reaction in 1998 if you said Billy Gunn would still be appearing on a mainstream pro wrestling TV program in late 2021 you would of gotten some awful strange looks.
Vincent is still over, so bite your tongue.

Reactions: iamjs and BruinDust

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

his hairline reminds all the women of his dad, so he's huge in the milf and gilf demo

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

I think he comes across a great underdog babyface and he has consistently strong matches. I'm not sure if he's world title material.

Actually, of the four pillars, MJF is the only one I can see as world champion. Not just today (I could buy MJF as world champion today) but I'm talking about future outlook as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think he comes across a great underdog babyface and he has consistently strong matches. I'm not sure if he's world title material.

Actually, of the four pillars, MJF is the only one I can see as world champion. Not just today (I could buy MJF as world champion today) but I'm talking about future outlook as well.

Yeah, I think Jungle Boy is a good face and his matches are solid (though I think there are better performers). I'm tired of Jurassic Express though and would rather he went out on his own I'd even make him a heel at some point, but can't spoil that idea in case I draft him next year. Even have his valet picked out, though one of his peers would probably not be too pleased about that.

I could see them all as World Champion at some point. Question would be when. Definitely not today and that goes just as much for MJF as it does anyone else. I like MJF, but I think he's been pushed too much too early. He should have been feuding with the other three pillars before getting over Cody or Jericho. That said with the age of the other guys I can see why you might save those sorts of feuds for later on down the line. Anyway, I just think MJF has been pushed a bit much and I'd find him being given the belt annoying. Again though, you have another belt out there and you can start with that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Love Danielson going heel

Edit: Also after seeing MJF’s feuds with Pillman Jr and Darby and now the start of one with CM Punk it is pretty apparent to me that Chris Jericho has turned into a black hole lately. He carried the company at its inception but it’s been pretty terrible since the face turn and he’s not what he once was in the ring

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Love Danielson going heel

Edit: Also after seeing MJF’s feuds with Pillman Jr and Darby and now the start of one with CM Punk it is pretty apparent to me that Chris Jericho has turned into a black hole lately. He carried the company at its inception but it’s been pretty terrible since the face turn and he’s not what he once was in the ring

MJF really hasn't missed with anything yet. His matches only have to be watchable, because the build is so f***ing good that it puts the match over before the bell rings.

Jericho is mailing it in now but I'm ok with it. We are allowed to appreciate the work he did to get AEW off the ground and still rag on his current work. I hope they faze him out even more as they move forward.

Reactions: CDJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jericho is supposed to be going on tour at some point soon.

Otherwise, I see a lot of the stuff he does is retirement parting gifts.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The crowd singing Judas will be missed but yeah Jericho is running out of time. I would also like to see Matt Hardy take a bow. The focus should be on "younger" guys. Though as pointed out, not as young you think.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The crowd singing Judas will be missed but yeah Jericho is running out of time. I would also like to see Matt Hardy take a bow. The focus should be on "younger" guys. Though as pointed out, not as young you think.

Hardy is basically a manager of a YouTube stable at this point so I’m fine with him, if Jericho wants to do that too then fine

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Why did Matt Hardy stop doing the broken gimmick? He debuted in AEW with it but I'm not sure what the real-life and storyline explanation for dropping it was.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Why did Matt Hardy stop doing the broken gimmick? He debuted in AEW with it but I'm not sure what the real-life and storyline explanation for dropping it was.
It didn't work without crowds. Now that crowds are back, he could bring it back. But probably needs something big storyline wise to trigger a mental breakdown to bring the character back. Not sure that HFO turning on him is that significant. Maybe he needs Jeff Hardy to join AEW.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

His "Money" Matt Hardy is weird. Especially since I think he's still doing this because he needs the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad