All Elite Wrestling #4: The road to PPV #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I've got no time for Orange Cassidy. AEW has handled him decently though. I enjoyed Pac taking his head off last week.

I agree. AEW is overly optimistic with some of its roster and some of the matches are overlong. AEW has done a pretty good job with promo work, it would be a good idea to mix some more in.

Regarding impending free agents, the Revival to AEW would be awesome. Revival gets to be in an actual tag team division, AEW gets a sorely needed different kind of tag team.

The revival would be great, to be honest, I'e only watched them in NXT and was a fan, have not watched anything on the main roster but I'd love to see them with Tully as manager and in a 4 horsemen type of stable with Spears and MJF.

But from all the impending talent which will be available soon, no one would have me more excited than RUSH/Dragon Lee and Marty Scurll. Scurll will get a massive pop whenever he finally shows and the heel turn will be a slow build, I'm sure of that. Dragon Lee is a top 5 talent in the world and he vs Omega could have 5+ star matches when given the chance. Rush/Dragon vs Lucha Bros could be another masterpiece in the making.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I agree. AEW is overly optimistic with some of its roster and some of the matches are overlong. AEW has done a pretty good job with promo work, it would be a good idea to mix some more in

I know I can't speak for everybody but when I was a kid in the mid to late 80s my favorite part of wrestling was those 1 minute promos they had between matches. The fact I lived over 1000 miles away from Detroit and had 0 chance to see the "payoff" to those promos made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment listening to them

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I absolutely agree that certain matches souldn't take as long, no reason why some of these matches go 15, last's week's Spears vs Janela went well below that but it still should have lasted 4-5 tops. I still love a 12-15 minute matc way more than a 5-6 one which is the norm in the WWE, so while I agree with that I would simply be more selective. I have no issues with Pac and Trent? going 15 but I do when it's Britt vs a Nyla let's say or a Spears vs a Cutler.

Ideally, I'd target 10-12 to be the average match, 15 the high caliber one and 15-20 for matches I want showcased. After all there's definitely a ton that is taken from NJPW/PWG which made me watch wrestling again and both rarely have short matchups.
yeah, I am glad you understood what I was saying..opening matches are typically the best and those can stay 15 minutes if they are between the right guys..Pac vs Trent was damn good, I enjoyed that...but it is that middle area where they are struggling like you illustrated...plenty of areas to cut from 2-3 matches in that middle area that can allow more growth for promos or even an additional match...minor complaints here, they are learning on the fly - so far if those are the worst of my complaints I will be a very happy wrestling fan again!

Reactions: Doublechin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
anyone been catching Brian Cage in Impact Wrestling?? I have come away pretty impressed with him the few times I watched him...for a bigger dude, he is extremely athletic and takes some big bumps..he would be a guy I wouldn't mind in AEW when his contract ends there...

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
yeah, I am glad you understood what I was saying..opening matches are typically the best and those can stay 15 minutes if they are between the right guys..Pac vs Trent was damn good, I enjoyed that...but it is that middle area where they are struggling like you illustrated...plenty of areas to cut from 2-3 matches in that middle area that can allow more growth for promos or even an additional match...minor complaints here, they are learning on the fly - so far if those are the worst of my complaints I will be a very happy wrestling fan again!

Well exactly and so far to every complaint they've answered, apparently the PPV will be 3 and a half hours this weekend instead of 4 and a half which many said was too long, same thing with lack of promos, the Cody promo and the Inner Circle video were gold and I'm usually one of the people fine with all wrestling and zero promos and stuff like this.

I stopped watching the WWE around 12 years ago or so because my complaints were too many, matches are too short, too generic, the pace is dreadful, the product was predictable and the wrong talent was shoved into our throats. Now I'm a wrestling fan again but still can't stand the company and mainly it was for signing my favorite wrestlers (AJ, Nakamura, Steen, Zayn, Punk) and forcing them to adapt to their dreadful and boring style of matches. The moment they graduate from NXT is when I say bye. But I'm just trying to compare here, these are big complaints that I have but with AEW every negative right now is minor to me

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well exactly and so far to every complaint they've answered, apparently the PPV will be 3 and a half hours this weekend instead of 4 and a half which many said was too long, same thing with lack of promos, the Cody promo and the Inner Circle video were gold and I'm usually one of the people fine with all wrestling and zero promos and stuff like this.

I stopped watching the WWE around 12 years ago or so because my complaints were too many, matches are too short, too generic, the pace is dreadful, the product was predictable and the wrong talent was shoved into our throats. Now I'm a wrestling fan again but still can't stand the company and mainly it was for signing my favorite wrestlers (AJ, Nakamura, Steen, Zayn, Punk) and forcing them to adapt to their dreadful and boring style of matches. The moment they graduate from NXT is when I say bye. But I'm just trying to compare here, these are big complaints that I have but with AEW every negative right now is minor to me
yep...I tried as well to watch WWE when Samoa Joe, AJ, Roode, Eric Young, etc all went there...I just couldn't do it. I can't stand the WWE and outside of being a kid and loving Ultimate Warrior, I have always supported their competion like NWA/WCW, TNA/ROH, and now AEW...

they (AEW) certainly offers a different alternative that this industry desperately needs. I can't stand the McMahon's and what they did to this industry..when they crushed WCW and closed them down, that was it for me - I have hoped for doom for them ever since lol...still f***ing waiting!!! come on AEW take the Giant down!! and no, not talking about Big Show aka the Giant!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I stopped watching the WWE around 12 years ago or so because my complaints were too many, matches are too short, too generic, the pace is dreadful, the product was predictable and the wrong talent was shoved into our throats.

I gave up wrestling roughly the same time. My 2 biggest problems where it was the same match all the time(ie how many time can Cena face Orton and I should care) plus I was sick of guys winning like 60% of the time(ie win one week, lose the next, win the following week). the second you see people losing more then 10% of the time they just lose their luster that they are people I should care about(except in rare cases they might have a gimmick that is enjoyable say like Santino Marella)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know I can't speak for everybody but when I was a kid in the mid to late 80s my favorite part of wrestling was those 1 minute promos they had between matches. The fact I lived over 1000 miles away from Detroit and had 0 chance to see the "payoff" to those promos made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment listening to them

There are several benefits to having short promo periods. You avoid overexposing some of the wrestlers in ring, you push forward the angles, you get good promos or at least you give younger wrestlers the chance to practice their promos. There are still many ways for AEW to go at this point, but I would be happy if that was part of the direction it ends up taking.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My 2 cents is the show has way to many 15 minute matches that shouldn't be 15 minutes. The also need to find a way to get everybody like 1-2 minutes of promo time. Maybe instead of a 15 minute match that has a commercial break during it have a 8 minute match, 3 minute commercial break then come back after the break and give the person 2 minutes to give a promo.

I will give you a little credit here. Pac's match was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too competitive. Way too competitive.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice for Rock to give Rhodes a shout out. That's a few times he's given AEW some attention. Now with the PPV tonight I hope that AEW does the right thing and keeps the belt on Jericho.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Unreal f***ing promo. Unreal response. Between Orange Cassidy and that promo - holy heck. Wrestling on Wednesday, folks. A+ stuff on both sides.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
None of the matches stand out as an obvious great match, but most of them have solid potential. Moxley and Omega could be interesting, hopefully it is more of a Moxley match than an Omega match given the context. Jericho - Rhodes is the match that has my attention most from a storyline perspective.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Setting looks very different, like this is a bigger or at least different show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad