All Elite Wrestling #4: The road to PPV #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I certainly hope that Jericho beats Rhodes, particularly given the stipulation. Let Rhodes have a long journey before he gets the title where you can make an angle about how he finally gets another title shot. Jericho is also doing a really good job as champion and his stable works better with him holding the gold.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I certainly hope that Jericho beats Rhodes, particularly given the stipulation. Let Rhodes have a long journey before he gets the title where you can make an angle about how he finally gets another title shot. Jericho is also doing a really good job as champion and his stable works better with him holding the gold.

The only way Cody gets back a title show after losing which he will is when he turns heel and abuses his authority reverse the stipulation, this is a great sign of long, long term booking.

As per Brandi, I'm thinking maybe she should eventually get the authority figure type of character which will eventually be needed

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The only way Cody gets back a title show after losing which he will is when he turns heel and abuses his authority reverse the stipulation, this is a great sign of long, long term booking.

As per Brandi, I'm thinking maybe she should eventually get the authority figure type of character which will eventually be needed

That's one possibility with Rhodes. There is a lot of fatigue with heel authority figures though and I hope they avoid that route as much as possible. I think that there is a way to keep Rhodes as a face and have Jericho (or some other heel champ) offer him a title shot down the road. Definitely needs to be a good, slow build though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if the attendance was really bad, but some of the pictures from the event look pretty bad. There is talk that the arena was around 60% full with 5000 people. Not terrible by any stretch but there was always going to be a cooling.

Oct 18, 2011
I thought the MJF back stabbing would be 6 months down the line....not anymore, I think it's happening Saturday, that or Jericho is introducing another member of the IC to screw Cody, Jericho is absolutely the right guy to be champion for the next 6 months

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from pwinsider.com:

Week 5 of the Wednesday Night War:

AEW - 822,000 viewers, up 70,000 from last week
NXT - 813,000 viewers, up 260,000 from last week

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
from pwinsider.com:

Week 5 of the Wednesday Night War:

AEW - 822,000 viewers, up 70,000 from last week
NXT - 813,000 viewers, up 260,000 from last week

NXT was helped by a number of things, but it is still to their credit.

Oct 18, 2011
NXT was helped by a number of things, but it is still to their credit.
2 things probably helped

the exposure the brand got on FOX last week, especially Adam Cole, and second being able to have a guy like AJ styles who's a star and plug him into the show

AEW is mainly hurt by the lack of roster depth right now, I love the top right now but last night the show really fell off after about 45 minutes, until the main event and I think the ratings kinda reflect that

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Attendance last night was really bad, I also believe that TV ratings are dropping as the honeymoon period is ending. They need a big ppv.

I've been saying this for a while but it's All-Elite is Impact without the baggage. The decision for NXT to primarily stay in Full Sail looks pretty wise as well.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Holy hell work in Q4 is getting busssssssssssssssy. Just got through AEW and here I am late to the party again.

This episode was about as average as possible but AEW keeps having at least ONE moment per show that blows you away. That Cody promo wasn't just good, it was great. GREAT. That is right up there with his father's hard time promo. He cut a fantastic meaningful babyface promo. One of the best promos i've heard. Not just from Cody, but period. Fantastic stuff. One that should be remembered for a long time.

Everything else was average. But average is good. It's consistent and fun. It's solid wrestling. So even though it was pretty average, average is good.

Oct 18, 2011
Holy hell work in Q4 is getting busssssssssssssssy. Just got through AEW and here I am late to the party again.

This episode was about as average as possible but AEW keeps having at least ONE moment per show that blows you away. That Cody promo wasn't just good, it was great. GREAT. That is right up there with his father's hard time promo. He cut a fantastic meaningful babyface promo. One of the best promos i've heard. Not just from Cody, but period. Fantastic stuff. One that should be remembered for a long time.

Everything else was average. But average is good. It's consistent and fun. It's solid wrestling. So even though it was pretty average, average is good.
AEW is alot like raw during the attitude era, there's alot of so/so or average/mediocre stuff but there is also 1 or 2 great things every show

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
AEW is alot like raw during the attitude era, there's alot of so/so or average/mediocre stuff but there is also 1 or 2 great things every show
they are trying to get everyone on tv, I respect them for making sure the talent gets a chance but that does come at a price..I would imagine by the new year things will start to change more and hopefully a few more names start to pop up over the next month or so adding that depth we have been talking about.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I've been saying this for a while but it's All-Elite is Impact without the baggage. The decision for NXT to primarily stay in Full Sail looks pretty wise as well.

Impact does not have one talent which compares to Omega, Jericho, the Bucks, Cody or Moxley, hell even Penta and Fenix. AEW is PWG on a bigger scale mixed with WCW production values and announcing, it doesn't get any better for me

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
they are trying to get everyone on tv, I respect them for making sure the talent gets a chance but that does come at a price..I would imagine by the new year things will start to change more and hopefully a few more names start to pop up over the next month or so adding that depth we have been talking about.

Realistically speaking here's who could be added into the roster in the next couple months, Marty Scurll which apparently becomes available in 3 weeks from now. From ROH, Bandido, RUSH, Dragon Lee and Brodie Lee also expire by the new year and I'd say all 4 are strong possibilities and all 4 are excellent additions.

Then we have Luke Harper and the Revival from the E which become free agents this spring and seem to be fully open to the idea of leaving.

Will all these guys join? I'd say it's over 50/50 that they all will. But we're talking about high end talent, every single one of them. The roster needs to expand for sure but with 2 hours a week it will be hard to keep everyone happy.

Reactions: AmericanDream

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
AEW is mainly hurt by the lack of roster depth right now, I love the top right now but last night the show really fell off after about 45 minutes, until the main event and I think the ratings kinda reflect that

My 2 cents is the show has way to many 15 minute matches that shouldn't be 15 minutes. The also need to find a way to get everybody like 1-2 minutes of promo time. Maybe instead of a 15 minute match that has a commercial break during it have a 8 minute match, 3 minute commercial break then come back after the break and give the person 2 minutes to give a promo.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Realistically speaking here's who could be added into the roster in the next couple months, Marty Scurll which apparently becomes available in 3 weeks from now. From ROH, Bandido, RUSH, Dragon Lee and Brodie Lee also expire by the new year and I'd say all 4 are strong possibilities and all 4 are excellent additions.

Then we have Luke Harper and the Revival from the E which become free agents this spring and seem to be fully open to the idea of leaving.

Will all these guys join? I'd say it's over 50/50 that they all will. But we're talking about high end talent, every single one of them. The roster needs to expand for sure but with 2 hours a week it will be hard to keep everyone happy.
I am sure there are a lot of guys out there that can be brought in that are still names... plenty of the ones you said, but also guys a few years back that were bigger names like Aries, Storm, Magus, etc..none of these guys are coming in to fight for a World Title, but they certainly add legit depth to a promotion pretty thin right now. AEW Dark can help usher in new faces as well, and yeah have to be careful with only 2 hours per week..

but what made Monday Night so special was the unpredictability of who would show up out of nowhere...obviously contracts prevent that from happening now and social media as well...but they will have to balance bringing in new guys/gals while still trying to fit in the core they have..

I would almost like to see AEW have a working agreement with Impact Wrestling..or ROH...like WWE did years back with ECW...help promote both promotions, share some talents, and potentially be able to set up invasion angles or whatever...AEW is obviously the main league but if done right it could be pretty cool.

I agree with not every match should be 15 minutes from boredmale..I get it, AEW wants to be different and actually wrestle...but when your top guys are going 15 minutes and your bottom guys are going 15 minutes kind of loses its impact IMO. The best matches should go 15 minutes, but the others can start getting cut at least 4-5 minutes to allow for more promos or even additional matches. AEW has a smaller roster right now, no reason why we shouldn't be seeing 90% of them each and every Dynamite.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I've got no time for Orange Cassidy. AEW has handled him decently though. I enjoyed Pac taking his head off last week.

My 2 cents is the show has way to many 15 minute matches that shouldn't be 15 minutes. The also need to find a way to get everybody like 1-2 minutes of promo time. Maybe instead of a 15 minute match that has a commercial break during it have a 8 minute match, 3 minute commercial break then come back after the break and give the person 2 minutes to give a promo.

I agree. AEW is overly optimistic with some of its roster and some of the matches are overlong. AEW has done a pretty good job with promo work, it would be a good idea to mix some more in.

Regarding impending free agents, the Revival to AEW would be awesome. Revival gets to be in an actual tag team division, AEW gets a sorely needed different kind of tag team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I also did not know Dynamite replays were being aired on Tru TV...that seems a bit odd to me, but sure as shit there it was 1 hour before Wed's Dynamite on TNT...hope that helps bring in more fans as well..

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I am sure there are a lot of guys out there that can be brought in that are still names... plenty of the ones you said, but also guys a few years back that were bigger names like Aries, Storm, Magus, etc..none of these guys are coming in to fight for a World Title, but they certainly add legit depth to a promotion pretty thin right now. AEW Dark can help usher in new faces as well, and yeah have to be careful with only 2 hours per week..

but what made Monday Night so special was the unpredictability of who would show up out of nowhere...obviously contracts prevent that from happening now and social media as well...but they will have to balance bringing in new guys/gals while still trying to fit in the core they have..

I would almost like to see AEW have a working agreement with Impact Wrestling..or ROH...like WWE did years back with ECW...help promote both promotions, share some talents, and potentially be able to set up invasion angles or whatever...AEW is obviously the main league but if done right it could be pretty cool.

I agree with not every match should be 15 minutes from boredmale..I get it, AEW wants to be different and actually wrestle...but when your top guys are going 15 minutes and your bottom guys are going 15 minutes kind of loses its impact IMO. The best matches should go 15 minutes, but the others can start getting cut at least 4-5 minutes to allow for more promos or even additional matches. AEW has a smaller roster right now, no reason why we shouldn't be seeing 90% of them each and every Dynamite.

I absolutely agree that certain matches souldn't take as long, no reason why some of these matches go 15, last's week's Spears vs Janela went well below that but it still should have lasted 4-5 tops. I still love a 12-15 minute matc way more than a 5-6 one which is the norm in the WWE, so while I agree with that I would simply be more selective. I have no issues with Pac and Trent? going 15 but I do when it's Britt vs a Nyla let's say or a Spears vs a Cutler.

Ideally, I'd target 10-12 to be the average match, 15 the high caliber one and 15-20 for matches I want showcased. After all there's definitely a ton that is taken from NJPW/PWG which made me watch wrestling again and both rarely have short matchups.

Reactions: AmericanDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad