All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I wonder when Mauro's NXT deal is up. My guess is he's happy what he's doing and HHH would damn sure make certain he's kept well compensated.

Oct 18, 2011
It won’t really set in for another man, but I’m excited. Finally legitimate competition, a billionaire owner, a legit TV deal on prime time.

God damn.

And if they did end up landing Dean that would be nuts too. Those are two big North American names (Jericho, Ambrose) to build around, and the hardcore fan base recognition of The Bucks and Kenny.
Yeah im just a little worried that they're starting live right away. TNA had opportunities to be competitive and squandered it... you only get 1 first impression so they've got to nail this. I do think in terms of viewership they can challenge WWE if they do this right. Not saying revenue wise or brand wise they can challenge them but the audience is not hungry for something different

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah im just a little worried that they're starting live right away. TNA had opportunities to be competitive and squandered it... you only get 1 first impression so they've got to nail this. I do think in terms of viewership they can challenge WWE if they do this right. Not saying revenue wise or brand wise they can challenge them but the audience is not hungry for something different
TNA had Hogan to f*** everything up.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wonder when Mauro's NXT deal is up. My guess is he's happy what he's doing and HHH would damn sure make certain he's kept well compensated.
I went and checked the Observer archives.

He apparently signed a two-year deal when he came back to do NXT, and that was reported June 2017. So he'll be a free agent right in time for AEW to try and get him...

He'd be the single most important guy AEW would have if they got him. More important than any wrestler they could sign, and it's not even remotely close. So I fully expect WWE to give him anything he wants to stay. Even with his limited roll in NXT, it's far more important that no one else has him.

But I hope he stays. NXT is my favourite weekly show and he's no small part of it.

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
yeah Mauro is a big voice in boxing. it almost makes sense IF they end up doing HBO PPVs, etc.
but im also selfish and want him to stay in NXT cuz i love that show.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I saw Cole and I was convinced that was a takedown of Maggle.

Ross will be better in a situation where he's calling storyline matches and not just being "I'm Jim Ross working for AXS voicing over NJPW matches". He's lost a bit of his fastball but I'd pop for a vintage "mah gawd" when Pac drops Page on his head at Down Or Nothing.

Don't think Ross is in an announcer role, or at least a full time one. Think their announce team is Alex Marvez and Excalibur.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
in the road for double of nothing videos they confirmed for the PPV (NOT the weekly show)
  • Alicia A (Atout) – Backstage Correspondent
  • Alex Marvez – AEW Commentator
  • Excalibur – AEW Commentator
  • Justin Roberts – AEW Ring Announcer
  • Jim Ross – AEW Commentator & Senior Advisor

Oct 18, 2011
3 man's booths rarely work .The only one I ever really liked was Tony, Bobby, and Tenay

They didn't give JR a big contract to be a role player

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m under the impression JR will call the PPV’s while Marvez will call the weekly shows

Reactions: Fro

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I only know Marvez as a football reporter but I've known he's a big wrestling fan. I'm curious to see what he can do.

What I don't really like is when two people talk over each other to call a match. I've liked when Excalibur worked with Kevin Kelly during the NJC or when Ian worked with Kevin for G1 Supercard but it was weird when they'd alternate calling sequences in a match. It doesn't sound natural to me. I like it when one voice calls the match and one or two others respond and analyze what's going on.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They also owned WCW which was hemorrhaging money, they will just be a broadcast partner here

Exactly.

Obviously, the ratings compared to Raw weren't there for Nitro, but the ratings for the time slot were fine.

But, I think the estimates for the last year's losses for WCW was like 80 million before WWE bought the company.

The other issue is this coincided with the AOL and Time Warner merger was happening. The only one who ever cared about WCW, beyond the bottom line, was Ted Turner. When the original merger with Time Warner happened in 1996, WCW wasn't hemorrhaging money, but it's kind of hard to justify continuing a 80 million dollar cash drain with declining TV ratings and market share.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i havent watch the BTE episode. but i keep seeing a screencap of the show where it says they signed "old rivals"
thats totally Super Smash Bros. Evil uno and Stu right??? my men from Gatineau! wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad