All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Having him just destroy mid-carders and never doing that to the upper card is just as dumb. And, I'll assume he won't sign without being able to do that anyway.

Not really.

Goldberg will bring some attention, but he really shouldn't be facing a company's top stars, because his "thing" is to destroy them.

Like if WWE brought back Goldberg, I would have him go against like, Jeff Hardy. An older, mid-carder, who can handle the loss, but isn't just a throw away opponent.

So AEW just needs to do something similar.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not really.

Goldberg will bring some attention, but he really shouldn't be facing a company's top stars, because his "thing" is to destroy them.

Like if WWE brought back Goldberg, I would have him go against like, Jeff Hardy. An older, mid-carder, who can handle the loss, but isn't just a throw away opponent.

So AEW just needs to do something similar.

Instead of going back-and-forth discussing how dumb (or not) crushing mid-carders and never moving up is, I'll just stick with doubting Goldberg agreeing to sign with a new startup and not being their champion, at least at the start.

Reactions: Fro

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But that's his thing. What do you do with Goldberg if not have him destroy people in 2 mins.
Sign an agreement with New Japan and have him face Okada.

Okada could get 20 minutes out of him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If that's what Goldberg wanted, I would hope AEW politely walks away. They don't need someone like that.

Goldberg being AEW’s first champion would cause me to lose interest.

Goldberg I would assume would just be like a part-time attraction. He shouldn’t be in title matches.

Reactions: ColePens

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
AEW sounds like a very ambitious venture...I'll reserve judgment until it sees the light of day. Cody is going for it...I give him credit for that.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Goldberg being AEW’s first champion would cause me to lose interest.

Goldberg I would assume would just be like a part-time attraction. He shouldn’t be in title matches.

I also hope they don't slap a title on Cody right away either, though. Unless he wants to build himself up as power-hungry and overly narcissistic, that is.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im sure the Elite are aware of the hazards of them booking themselves too strong

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think HHH is get massively underrated there.

On Cody I'd agree more, he's not great but is solidly good at everything. Except he's fantastic at the single most important part of being a wrestler, and that's being a star.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think HHH is get massively underrated there.

On Cody I'd agree more, he's not great but is solidly good at everything. Except he's fantastic at the single most important part of being a wrestler, and that's being a star.

Most HHH stuff is skippable for me, but he isn't necessarily bad I guess. I mean how he has done NXT is great, I am not including that part, just him as an active wrestler I never really got into.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really like the way Cody Rhodes carries himself on camera. He has done very well in appropriating and updating the way old school champions carried themselves. He really threw himself into whatever WWE gave him and generally elevated it to a notch above what it should have been. The unfortunate thing is that he started his career with WWE, and you have to be pretty much a wrestling savant to develop into a high quality in ring performer coming through the WWE system. He would have been much better off wrestling in different places against a variety of opponents in his formative wrestling years. As it is now he's good but not great, and you can see that he's too WWE in his matches outside of that domain. He plays the villain part a bit too "big" sometimes as well, but overall I enjoy his character work whether inside or outside of WWE.

I haven't liked most of the stuff I've seen of him outside wrestling, but I hope for the best if he really does go for his own promotion. If he does play up being a cocky heel at the beginning of it, I hope he doesn't go the TNA Jarrett route.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Most HHH stuff is skippable for me, but he isn't necessarily bad I guess. I mean how he has done NXT is great, I am not including that part, just him as an active wrestler I never really got into.
You can like bad things, and you can dislike good things. Doesn't make the good thing bad or the bad thing good.

HHH often gets an unfair look because people dislike his matches, when often they are disliking his style of matches. The extreme example would be Zack Sabre Jr. He the best in the world as his style of match, it is factually incorrect to say he's bad. But it's very reasonable to dislike the style of match he has, not everyone like it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want NOTHING to do with Goldberg. I understand the business move here, but it would turn me away if he's going to be a prominent figure in that ring.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Pre-quad tear HHH was amazing. The run in the middle has some good and bad, and his only bad recent performances since about 2010 have been against The Undertaker in 2018, but the only one who’s gotten a good match out of Taker in the last 5 years has been Lesnar.

HHH’s mind for the business is clearly great too, considering what he’s done in the NXT, and it seems it’s always been that way going back to the 90s when he was sitting in on production meetings (even if he used it to politic his way to spots, but who wouldn’t do that?). I’ll never say a bad thing about my future BFF, Triple H, anyways.

Agreed on Cody, though. Spectacularly average, good for him for what he’s done, but I’m not too sure his happens if his last name is anything else. Not too many can hop right into The Bullet Club/Elite and ride shotgun like he has. Not knocking his hustle cause he clearly has it, but his last name afforded him many opportunities that anyone else wouldn’t have for someone in his position after leaving WWE imo.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If Cody wasn't his father's son, then there are too many "what if" questions.

He isn't the son of Dusty, he doesn't walk into WWE for training when he's starting out, then goes to the indies and comes up right in the middle the recent indy boom we've had.

Who's to say he doesn't work his way to the top anyway? It's not like he hasn't worked extremely hard since he's left WWE. Yes he's gotten extra opportunities, but opportunity is nothing if you don't work hard to build on it. Else it's just an opportunity to publicly fail.

I find it extremely hard to fault him at all for being his father's son. Especially when it's something he can never do anything about.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Not faulting him for being Dusty’s son, and he has worked hard, but he’s still average at pretty much everything for me to believe that he’d be in this spot if not for who his dad is.

There are too many what if questions when it comes to him for sure.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If Kenny goes with AEW...that's the credibility they need. I think he'd have a lot of creative freedom with his character on a similar level what he had in Japan. I really fear he'd be a watered-down version of himself in WWE. He probably can't work as stiff as he works in Japan.

If he goes to WWE, you want to see him work again with Bryan and Rollins like they did in ROH. You'd have Owens and Zayn. Obviously there's A.J. and Gallows and Anderson and Balor. WWE has some of the best wrestlers in the world on their roster but they're still pushing themselves as an entertainment product. Kenny could do the entertainment thing but his in-ring work is why I'd watch whatever brand he goes to next.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If I were NJPW, I’d honestly hope Kenny signed with WWE instead of AEW. With no working agreement, AEW getting Kenny Omega (and likely Chris Jericho) would be bad for NJPW’s North American expansion prospects imo.

Now if there is a working agreement that comes out between NJPW and AEW, they’ll be alright if they still have access to Omega, Bucks, Cody, Jericho, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad