Music: All Eighties Music - The MTV Decade

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

My Best-Carey

Yeah, certainly missed that one. In my defence, it was no "Jessie's Girl", hit-wise.

I see it's (also) from 1985, so why were songwriters going on about 'the power of love' so much in the mid-80s? Coincidence is the best answer I could come up with so far.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, certainly missed that one. In my defence, it was no "Jessie's Girl", hit-wise.

I see it's (also) from 1985, so why were songwriters going on about 'the power of love' so much in the mid-80s? Coincidence is the best answer I could come up with so far.
The Second Cold War had just ended (82-84). It was a moment of relief in 84-87before the real moment of joy that was 88-89 (Second Summer of Love).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
A lot of cheesy crap in this decade that's hard to dig through, but some holds up and some was even ahead of its time.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This is 80s related because MTV and music videos started in the 80s.

10 Most-Watched Music Videos

1. “Despacito” – Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee (7 billion views)
2. “Shape of You” – Ed Sheeran (5 billion views)
3. “See You Again” – Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth (4.7 billion views)
4. “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars (3.9 billion views)
5. “Gangnam Style” – PSY (3.8 billion views)
6. “Sorry (PURPOSE: The Movement)” – Justin Bieber (3.3 billion views)
7. “Sugar” – Maroon 5 (3.3 billion views)
8. “Roar” – Katy Perry (3.1 billion views)
9. “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran (3.1 billion views)
10. “Counting Stars” – OneRepublic (3 billion views)

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the longest burning questions is whether Quebec is part of Latin American. The answer is: sometimes yes?

Continuing on the Latin Freestyle tip. . .

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I always found it funny around '87, when I saw thas video a lot on cable channels, how it literally spoils the whole "Ruthless People" movie. :laugh:

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Did someone say a cappella? Even if not, here are a couple of those, both covers, originally by the Isley Brothers (well, sort of) and Yazoo, respectively.

Speaking of Yazoo... as a kid, I couldn't believe that Alison Moyet's voice belonged to a woman.

A similar case, but reversed, was Jimmy Somerville, of course. Bronski Beat with their tragic tale and video:

Reactions: Mescaleroman

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Donna Summer still had it in the '80s; certainly not just a product of the Disco era. Co-wrote/wrote some of her material too.

A cover of a Vangelis & Jon Anderson song

w/ Stock—Aitken—Waterman (who else!)

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Some of Nile Rodgers' magic touch, as a producer and often songwriter (also w/ Bernard Edwards).

Much of the Rodgers-produced Bowie/Duran Duran/Madonna stuff was already posted, so I left those out.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad