Music: All Eighties Music - The MTV Decade

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fascination by The Human League is a monster song, love it to death. I like how they take that sorta awkward synth riff and build a killer song around it.

Back before youtube, when you were at the mercy of MTV to play something you like, I was always fascinated by this video:

When our household finally got cable in December '86, this was played often between programs on Sky Channel:

A man who definitely defined the decade:

Last edited:

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I think the band that has grown on me the most in the last 40 years is the Talking Heads. Rhythm.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I was born in '85 so songs that I actually remember from the 80s is this tune. Still brings good memories because I always associated this song with going to my grandma's place.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think the band that has grown on me the most in the last 40 years is the Talking Heads. Rhythm.
Me too. I liked their stuff in the 80s and love it now. The Talking Heads have separated themselves over the years with a sound that defies description. Their music is way too weird to be considered pop or rock, and way too organic to be lumped with the synth-heavy 80s bands.

I consider this live recording to be THE song of the 1980s:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Me too. I liked their stuff in the 80s and love it now. The Talking Heads have separated themselves over the years with a sound that defies description. Their music is way too weird to be considered pop or rock, and way too organic to be lumped with the synth-heavy 80s bands.

I consider this live recording to be THE song of the 1980s:

I prefer the Muppets version:

Seriously though, the cable channel I mentioned always aired that concert version instead of the official music video. I didn't see that until we got MTV Europe in 1990.

Reactions: Hippasus and Lshap

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You may find yourself sitting in a Tim Hortons, trying not to laugh out loud.
:laugh:

New Kids On THe Block started the modern boy band era in the late 80's, I won't post their videos, because bah gawd they were annoying. But, Youtube recommended me this song from last year, featuring a couple of 80's names:

I have to admit, that is a pretty good song and a really funny video. And full credit to Rick Astley for finally getting recognition for his voice, personality and musical talent. He played AD/DC's "Highway To Hell" at Glastonbury this year, played the drums too.

Edit: and I just found out LATE that two Finns were involved in creating the track.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched a bit of the Wham documentary on Netflix and in tune with that:

I won't post Last Christmas because it's July and because it's Last Christmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad