Confirmed with Link: All contracts settled. Buyout window open for 48 hrs

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hathaway is the perfect 13th forward. Gritty, plays with a lot of energy. Can provide a bit of offense too. No real flaw to his game.

Outside of a massive lack of skill.
But yeah, if he suits up 15-23 games or so and gives you good energy, then money.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Outside of a massive lack of skill.
But yeah, if he suits up 15-23 games or so and gives you good energy, then money.
I think in your 13th and 14th forwards, you want a 5th center and an energy winger that stands up for teammates. Hathaway is very much the latter and I'm good with him in that role and keeping him under 25-30 games, will allow his body to handle the physical style he plays.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah. Hathaway always looks great when he first gets into the lineup, but after 5 or 6 games he starts to get worse every night so keeping him a substitute is best I think

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
2018 salary arbitration schedule

July 23 - Brett Kulak
July 27 - Mark Jankowski
July 28 - David Rittich
July 30 - Garnet Hathaway
August 1 - Elias Viktor Zebulon Lindholm

How awesome would it be if these were streamed live?

No, not awesome. Boring. That's the word I was looking for.

I think Janko and Elias Viktor Arvid Zebulon Nilsson will get their deals done way before the arbitration.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If any go to arbitration a 2nd buyout window opens up for 48 hours on August 3rd

I believe the second buyout window became available the second the arbitration process was started. (I read that somewhere in the last month... Don't ask me where.)

Maybe Brouwer is bought out.

Found it:

Sun

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Per the CBA a contract has to be awarded through arbitration for the buyout to be used; if the Flames sign contracts prior to the hearing no window opens.

Actually may be just the hearing has to take place but it sounds like an arbitration award has to happen.

But yes, even if the window opens Brouwer won't be bought out this off-season.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Brouwer won't be bought out this year. We have the cap space to sign Lindy and Hanifin (and Janko). Next year with Tkachuk we might need it, but the penalty will be easier to swallow cause it is only 2 years instead of 4. We really don't need to buy him out this year even though I'd like too because I don't want him on the team at all.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Per the CBA a contract has to be awarded through arbitration for the buyout to be used; if the Flames sign contracts prior to the hearing no window opens.

Actually may be just the hearing has to take place but it sounds like an arbitration award has to happen.

Could we use the second buyout opportunity to trade for and buyout a player?

I'm thinking of the Ryan Murphy buyout idea.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Brouwer won't be bought out this year. We have the cap space to sign Lindy and Hanifin (and Janko). Next year with Tkachuk we might need it, but the penalty will be easier to swallow cause it is only 2 years instead of 4. We really don't need to buy him out this year even though I'd like too because I don't want him on the team at all.

Though I think it is highly unlikely, I don't think Tre was counting on getting his entire wish list on July 1 so there maybe the desire to shed Troy because of the depth on the roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

NHL Buyout Rules - A Refresher

The second is a window related to arbitration, and it carries some extra restrictions. For this window to open, the team has to have a player that filed for arbitration. This window opens on the third day after the team's last arbitration is concluded (or settled, if it doesn't make it to a hearing) and is open for 48 hours. There are also restrictions on which players can be bought out - First, the player has to have been on the reserve list as of the last trade deadline (so no buying out that off-season signing you regret until the next trade deadline). Second, there is a minimum cap value for a contract to be eligible for this - $2.75m AAV initially, but the value goes up based on the average league salary each year. The notable absence in those restrictions is that it has nothing to do with who went to arbitration, any player who meets those two restrictions can be bought out. There's one last catch, though - this can only be done three times by each team. Not three times per year - three times over the entire length of the current CBA.

So yes, we do have the 2nd window and it is open from August 3rd to 5th.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
NHL Buyout Rules - A Refresher

So yes, we do have the 2nd window and it is open from August 3rd to 5th.
No, not yet. With all due respect to sports writers, they're not subject matter experts in contract law.

This is straight from the CBA - Exhibit 1, Standard Player Contract.

13. The Club, in addition to other rights hereunder, at its option, by written notice delivered to the Player in accordance with Exhibit 3, may terminate this SPC on the following conditions:

(a) The Club shall offer the Player on Unconditional Waivers, either before or promptly after the notice of intention to exercise the Ordinary Course Buy-Out option (herein called "notice of termination") is given. 318 EXHIBIT 1

(b) Termination pursuant to this Paragraph shall be effective upon receipt by the Player of the notice of termination and the Player clearing Unconditional Waivers pursuant to Paragraph 13(a) above.

(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as CBA Exhibit 20, with a copy to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:

(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of:
(i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or
(ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).

13(c)(i) is the standard buyout window
13(c)(ii) is the supplementary buyout window

Settlement is the key term here. It is interpreted in this section as starting/completing the arbitration process (hearing) with an award (contract noting salary, term) being granted.

Under 13(c)(ii)(ii) Arbitration being settled (through the arbitration process, naturally) means that the window opens. If there is no hearing, there is no settlement, thus the window does not open.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brouwer wasn't bought out before because there was no guarantee they'd land Neal/Czarnik/Ryan.

But now they're kind of pushing against the ceiling. The worst thing they could do now is bridge Hanifin (because they're too cheap/shortsighted to buyout Brouwer) and then have him break out and ask for 7M+ in two to three years (versus signing him for ~5M now for say six years).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Before FA and the Dougie trade, I said there's a 50-50 chance it happens this summer. Now it's more like 55-45. I think Treliving would still rather trade Stone:

1. 3.5 M caphit vs. 3M in savings for two years
2. Wouldn't hurt to get a draft pick or two
3. Andersson's ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad