Proposal: All Bruins Trade Talk - MOD warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
no doubt we will miss McAvoy in 6-7 years

does the deal help us enough in the next 3 years to make sense?

when we traded Wesley... we missed him... but did the trade work for us?
when we traded mccrimmond we missed him... and maybe the trade didn't work

not all trades work... some do... you don't just tell yourself its impossible to trade good looking kid dmen

if LA held onto berg or if carilina held onto pitkanen or if montreal held onto komasarek or if Winnipeg held onto the guy they traded to buffalo... how do those decesions effect those teams fortunes?

Detroit held onto joly for awhile... and Ottawa held onto phillips… did that make a difference?

I could give a list of 50 names of dmen who come into the nhl… end up on the first pair in their rookie season... and basically fade off into the woodwork

and lots of dmen that play on the 3rd pair for a few years and then become studs

how did seth jones do his first couple years... or victor hedman… what were brent burns and dustin byfuglin doing in their first couple years?

im sorry... but knowing how a dman will develop is pretty tricky stuff

im not sure the bruins have an appetite to pay a 21 year old 6 mill a year and cross their fingers

With this logic everyone should trade their 20 year old dmen for 35+ players because history says so. McAvoy should be in zero trade talks. NONE. ZIP. ZEERROOOO....

We traded Seguin for scraps and now he scores on us every game. We have no pieces left from that trade and now have a small window for a cup with no sure thing center ready to go in the system, but a good number of prospects who COULD step in one day.

We trade McAvoy for a run or 2, we then have no #1D in the system ready to go when Chara (and according to your proposal Keith) retires. IF and only IF we have to trade Mc for some reason it's for a #1C of similar age (Point, Dria, Mack, Eichel, etc.)

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
no doubt we will miss McAvoy in 6-7 years

does the deal help us enough in the next 3 years to make sense?

when we traded Wesley... we missed him... but did the trade work for us?
when we traded mccrimmond we missed him... and maybe the trade didn't work

not all trades work... some do... you don't just tell yourself its impossible to trade good looking kid dmen

if LA held onto berg or if carilina held onto pitkanen or if montreal held onto komasarek or if Winnipeg held onto the guy they traded to buffalo... how do those decesions effect those teams fortunes?

Detroit held onto joly for awhile... and Ottawa held onto phillips… did that make a difference?

I could give a list of 50 names of dmen who come into the nhl… end up on the first pair in their rookie season... and basically fade off into the woodwork

and lots of dmen that play on the 3rd pair for a few years and then become studs

how did seth jones do his first couple years... or victor hedman… what were brent burns and dustin byfuglin doing in their first couple years?

im sorry... but knowing how a dman will develop is pretty tricky stuff

im not sure the bruins have an appetite to pay a 21 year old 6 mill a year and cross their fingers
You still aren't selling moving McAvoy at all whatsoever. If anything it's even more reason to keep him. I appreciate that you try to keep your deals cap compliant and you obviously have a lot of passion and thought towards these moves, but I just philosophically think the team is not at the place they need to be to make moves like this. McAvoy is the defacto #1 in the upcoming years. Yes, he could regress. Or he could get better. If I had to guess one or the other, I'd pick the latter. Keith's best days are behind him. Let's not add more aging pieces to a core that needs more prime time players instead of 30+'s.

This team as constructed, adding Keith/Saad and subtracting McAvoy+whatever, I still don't think does much different. I'd rather suffer the growing pains and continue to build upwards. We aren't a top tier team. Honestly, in my opinion, look at the deals made 2007-2010, we're closer to the 2008/2009 teams than we are the 2011-2013 teams. We should be moving guys out that aren't in the plans, and getting players that will be hitting their prime within a few years. Build forward, I think it's an awful idea to add vets by giving up high end youth.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I will agree he wouldn't be traded for those reasons... if he is going to be traded its because Jacobs hates paying guys under certain circumtances. the last very talented kids we paid before they were well established was seguin. we see that the brain trust was very mixed feelings about him in that behind the bs show. they all realized he was talented but he wasn't a typical bruin

thornton was in the same boat once upon a time

Hamilton/kessel were a bit different. maybe Hamilton wanted out? maybe we were willing to keep him? people don't agree on the details there

kessels situation might have more to it too

but theres no denying that the history of the bruins and how they trade extremely talented young players 3-4 years into their careers is pretty much the worst in the nhl

as fans we don't need to like it... but to deny that it ever happens is just wrong

If you want to compete in this league you need franchise talent, Pasta& McAvoy are easily, by far the best bets from the u25 group.
Even with those 2 they are lacking 1 from the Center group.

Let's not go backwards when the goal should be to go forwards.

With this logic everyone should trade their 20 year old dmen for 35+ players because history says so. McAvoy should be in zero trade talks. NONE. ZIP. ZEERROOOO....

We traded Seguin for scraps and now he scores on us every game. We have no pieces left from that trade and now have a small window for a cup with no sure thing center ready to go in the system, but a good number of prospects who COULD step in one day.

We trade McAvoy for a run or 2, we then have no #1D in the system ready to go when Chara (and according to your proposal Keith) retires. IF and only IF we have to trade Mc for some reason it's for a #1C of similar age (Point, Dria, Mack, Eichel, etc.)

Not to mention McAvoys is better player today than Keith.

Bruins wouldn't be getting the Stanley Cup MVP Keith anymore, just the past his prime Keith.

Keep McAvoy and send Heinen something for Saad instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
One random player I’m interested in is right wing Pontus Åberg of the ducks. He is leading their team with 11 goals and isn’t even in their starting lineup..there is no place for him. I’ve watched some of his highlights, which is really all I have time for and the kid has some serious skill...itching for an opportunity in a top 6 spot.

He’s shooting at a high percentage so you could look at that but I wonder if he could be had for a pick, it may be worth a gamble for now and in the future.

I think of like how the Caps got Kempny last year for like a 3rd. It’s not always about the big deal but the schrewd ones.

Last edited:

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
One random player I’m interested in is right wing Pontus Åberg of the ducks. He is leading their team with 11 goals and isn’t even in their starting lineup..there is no place for him. I’ve watched some of his highlights, which is really all I have time for and the kid has some serious skill...itching for an opportunity in a top 6 spot.

He’s shooting at a high percentage so you could look at that but I wonder if he could be had for a pick, it may be worth a gamble for now and in the future.

I think of like how the Caps got Kenpny last year for like a 3rd. It’s not always about the big deal but the shrewd ones.

I like this idea. I was also thinking Pirri from Vegas could be a simar option. Guy has been up and down 6 times just today for the minors and is sitting on 11 points in 9 games. Problem is he shoots lefty but same situation where there isnt a good spot for him and he's just juggled around the line up.

Reactions: CellyHard and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

I think of like how the Caps got Kenpny last year for like a 3rd. It’s not always about the big deal but the shrewd ones.

Aberg would be perfect as a 3rd line center. He played super for the preds in their playoff run a couple of years ago when injuries hit them. He stepped up and played extremely well. Couldn't believe when the Oilers actually put him on waivers earlier this year. I was hoping he'd slide and Boston would pick him-up then.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like Ferland a lot and think he would be a great addition, he is a complimentary player in that he needs to be placed with decent offensive players to produce. He did so with Gaudreau and Monahan last year in Calgary and was doing so this year in Carolina when I was paying attention to them. He is not going to create his own offense but he has a wicked shot and release and is average to a little above in hockey IQ. HE does look to make big hits and take himself out of position with those but I'm ok with that.

The LW left shot is an issue with Marchand and DeBrusk as the top two LW for the foreseeable future, they have tried DeBrusk on RW and I am not a big fan of him playing his off wing. He is physically inconsistent on occasion and not as engaged as I would like all the time (I use the O'Reilly scale though so it really isn't a fair measure) but was a monster a few years ago in the playoffs with Calgary. He can also fight and does so very well.

So what would I do if Donny Danger added him. I would look at it as a step, Schenn needing to be the next. This doesn't fill the 2RW gap but does create three scoring lines.

Heinen (Sorry GD) for Ferland, resign ASAP at 3/4 for 3/4 years. Cap should increase by that amount and so far no one besides Carlo has shown that a huge raise should be awarded to them.

Donato, Nordstrom and Griz for Schenn.

Cherlarik for McQuaid to add D depth.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Ferland-Schenn-Backes
Wagner-Kuraly-Blidh

Not perfect but you might be able to do something in this playoff with that group and if you resign Ferland you build around it next year.

I don’t dislike Ferland, but he’s a UFA, and I can see him looking for a big pay day. As I already said, I’m getting a Beleskey vibe here and the B’s don’t need another contract like that.

As far as Heinen goes, I hope he stays, but if he goes, I want someone better than Ferland coming back. Move him (plus) for Anderson or maybe even Wood, because both of those guys are younger than Ferland.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
wow really hmm...Heinen trade...going back to trade it was for 30yr.old for our 29 yr.old help out the baby bruins I think...my guess

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Re Ferland

Pretty high cost for a player that may be looking to make bank in his next contract.

This is highway robbery a first rounder and a prospect for a 3 month rental???
Ferlund is a 20 goal scorer and 40-45 point guy and a UFA at the end of the year.
At these prices, what would Heinen and JFK get us.....a top 10 first round draft pick for either one?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Ferlund is a 20 goal scorer and 40-45 point guy and a UFA at the end of the year.
At these prices, what would Heinen and JFK get us.....a top 10 first round draft pick for either one?

Prices always begin high. In the end Ferland will probably go for a second and a mid level prospect. What is a shame if your a Cane fan, considering what Wadell gave up to get him. He totally got fleeced on that deal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn’t hurt to ask

Carolina could get back in the race

2nd and decent not elite prospect is what I see

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I still honestly don't see the Bruins making an impact move. They'll trade for their typical mid 30's depth guy and call it a day.

Reactions: maxl7

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
michaels crazy idea of the day

brandon saed {1/2 contract retained}
Duncan keith {1/2 contract retained}
for
Charlie McAvoy

obviously the immediate knee jerk reaction is we cant give up our 21 year old future Norris winner... but maybe we are jumping the gun calling him a future Norris winner. I mean mattias ohlund entered the league as a future Norris winner. brad stuart did the same. peter svoda was the next bobby orr and so was jay bouwmeister.

whether McAvoy is going to be a guy that dominates the nhl for 15 years or not... he will cost a huge cap hit. in my trade proposal we are picking up chara's replacement {a vet dman that can play 3-zone hockey 22-24 mins a night with cup winning pedigree and leadership} and we are getting a 26 year old power forward with 3 years left on his deal which would only be 3 mill a season after my suggestion

2 cup worthy spots in the lineup filled for under 6 mill cap hit would be HUGE

im loath to let mcavy go but a top7defense of
keith/krug
carlo/chara
miller/moore/gryz
looks pretty damn ok... with Urho and lauzon hanging around to replace chara when needed
I think keith would be a partner for krug that could really cover up a lot of krugs weakness
This trade is awful. McAvoy is a young buck. Keith is cooked even at 50%. Saad is a 20 goal scorer who makes 6m per. Saad can be had for much less than McAvoy. And there’s zero need for Keith, he’s a cap dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad