Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Trade away the plugs then wait until next year.

Bring up youth and let it roll, dont trade away picks for useless vets.

Its the new NHL, not the old slow NHL.

BruinsHockey

Jun 9, 2008
Rhode Island
I always hear how much Claude is loved throughout the NHL, so why don't they trade him?

(I know its out there but if he has value than try to get something for him.)

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Pains me to say it, but I think Krejci may be one of the passengers. He has shown a few flashes of brilliance, but on a night to night basis he has been largely unnoticeable.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The Bruins should just go along with the flow as they will not immediately become a playoff team with 1 or 2 additions.

Get rid of some of the dead wood such as Liles, Morrow, Hayes, etc.

Two of the biggest mistakes Sweeney has made are signing Belesky and an aging Backes.

Sit pat with the defense as a lot of young talent is available in the next couple of seasons.

Tuuka has not been making a important save at opportune times as he was previously. See what could be obtained for him via trade and bring in a couple of capable goaltenders. Not all Tuuka's fault but he is not coming up with big saves at this time and this has happened in previous seasons as well.

I agree that I Clode's coaching techniques have become stale and a capable replacement would be a recommended option.

As far as management goes, a mastermind could not repair this state of affairs.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If Tuukka wasn't here wed probably be fighting with Colorado for worse record too.

Let's actually get this team some help instead of playing so many stiffs all the time.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
If Tuukka wasn't here wed probably be fighting with Colorado for worse record too.

Let's actually get this team some help instead of playing so many stiffs all the time.

But who are the stiffs?

Krejci - Laziness?
Nash - Just not that great. Decent 4th liner.
Rask - Overpaid and inconsistent?
Chara - Not enough of a difference maker?
Hayes - Duh. But has been scratched lately.
Spooner - Suffers lapses in hockey IQ, can't get rid of the puck timely, can't shoot/finish.

Beleskey - too small a sample size, has been hurt all season.

Not really sure where else to point the finger...

Bergy, Marchy, and Pasta may be under producing a bit, clearly aren't the problem.

Moore and Schaller have been pleasant surprises, and are excellent 4th liners and decent 3rd liners. Similar for Czarnik, except more of a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential. These guys all bring it every game, too.

Backes...? He isn't making or breaking the team. Like what he brings. Not the problem.

The reason this team is losing is because not enough of them can do remotely what Vatrano can, which is shoot the puck. Part of it is talent/skill, and part of it is mental and coaching/system. The other reason we are losing is because of defensive lapses and mental mistakes. That is either because our D is too untalented as a whole, or again, coaching or system problems.

I don't know if Claude is the problem. This team controls the puck so well. Their breakouts are the best they've been in years. They are using their speed. But now they just can't finish, and can't stop making stupid mistakes.

Perplexing.

Long story short... where do you point the finger? Who are the stiffs and why?

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
But who are the stiffs?

Krejci - Laziness?
Spooner - Suffers lapses in hockey IQ, can't get rid of the puck timely, can't shoot/finish.

Bergy, Marchy, and Pasta may be under producing a bit, clearly aren't the problem.

Moore and Schaller have been pleasant surprises, and are excellent 4th liners and decent 3rd liners. Similar for Czarnik, except more of a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential. These guys all bring it every game, too.

Backes...? He isn't making or breaking the team. Like what he brings. Not the problem.

The reason this team is losing is because not enough of them can do remotely what Vatrano can, which is shoot the puck. Part of it is talent/skill, and part of it is mental and coaching/system. The other reason we are losing is because of defensive lapses and mental mistakes. That is either because our D is too untalented as a whole, or again, coaching or system problems.

I don't know if Claude is the problem. This team controls the puck so well. Their breakouts are the best they've been in years. They are using their speed. But now they just can't finish, and can't stop making stupid mistakes.

Perplexing.

Top 6 is fine. Goaltender is fine. Where the Bruins lack is bottom 6 speed/talent and defense outside of Carlo and Krug, and Carlo is a rookie prone to a lot of mistakes.

The Bruins' strength in 2011 was that they could 'roll 4 lines'. They had one of the soon to be best players in the game on their 3rd line most of the time, and a solid scorer in Ryder down there as well. The Bruins are not anywhere close in their bottom six that they can keep up with the deeper top teams in the league or help the top 6 when they have an off night.

Tuukka has had a great year, and Claude's system has masked how bad this defense really is.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shooting Neely
Speaks to McKinnon's not accepting less than full effort from all his teammates. That's what he has always expected and worked extremely hard on being able to deliver himself. His motor constantly revs on high at work. He has a burning desire to win and always pushing to be the best he can be. He doesn't hang with Crosby merely because of the home town connections. He wants Sid to push him to get to the next level. No shortcuts allowed in his mind.

Isn't that approach of holding yourself and teammates accountable exactly what you want in any player let alone in a budding superstar like McKinnon? Maybe the coach and his teammate need to follow that example not turn it/him into a spectacle. Allowing the environment associated with losing to take root is in no way in McKinnon's, Sakic's or the Av's best interest. Letting it fester will bring about lots of pain for that organization. When you reach that point, players simply want out.

Response to the above from Over the Volcano in the previous version of this thread:
"I don't know, it speaks more to a young player who blames his teammates and refused to listen to his captain or his coach. He's a great player but that sort of thing can be toxic to a team."

You could draw that conclusion in a one off situation without knowing his history. However, it would not be anywhere near consistent with his behaviour as a leader himself on every team he has been part of leading up to his arrival in the NHL. Often hear of a player being a cancer in a room, he would actually be the cure for that in a hockey environment. Confident it is entirely about accountability and his efforts to address it head on. Could very well be the current captain was perhaps struggling to get that message through to his teammates so he became frustrated and that compelled him to step up. When compliancy sets in, creating adversity can be a good thing when the situation is the right time to create it. Compliancy would be a moniker that McKinnon would have no part of wearing at any point in his career. Hope for the Av's and McKinnon's sake it does get addressed.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I'd propose becoming sellers now...but what do we have to sell? It's not like they've got a Loui Eriksson-type pending FA who'd return a prospect or decent pick.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'd propose becoming sellers now...but what do we have to sell? It's not like they've got a Loui Eriksson-type pending FA who'd return a prospect or decent pick.

Even if they did, they'd let him walk without getting anything anyway.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006

This. We won't make the playoffs and if by miracle we do, we won't get far. So instead of buying like the last two seasons and losing picks, let's get some more picks and prospects while selling our redundant players.
Beleskey, K. Miller, McQuaid, Spooner, the whole 3 & 4th line should be available.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
But who are the stiffs?

Krejci - Laziness?

Perplexing.

The entire season we've basically played with only 2 lines.

I was actually extremely happy to see Backes finally moved to a 3rd line center as it gave our team so much more depth.....but then you see a guy like Nash playing the RW with him and Spooner. That to me is a waste.

As much as I like Schaller this year, he should not be playing the LW with DK and Pasta.

Yes, I understand injuries didn't help (Belesky being out of our top 9) but we need help scoring goals.....more so then keeping the puck out of the net.

Trading is difficult in the NHL today, but I don't understand how we could not acquire a top 9 forward to help with this squad......guys like Moore, Nash, Schaller, Hayes, Blidh, and even to some extent Czarnik can all be improved upon. (And I have no problem keeping Moore above everyone on that list).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
Vatrano
Backes
Czarnik

Chara
Krug
Carlo
Colin

Rask
McIntyre

Ship out anyone else 24 or older currently on this roster. So bye-bye to Krejci, Spooner, Belesky, Nash, Moore, Schaller, McQuaid, Kevan, Liles, Khudobin, and Morrow and Subban. Obviously this won't happen overnight, and you need some of these guys for expansion.

Fill in the gaps with young players as often as is realistic. Find a happy middle ground between what the Leafs are doing running half a line-up of rookies, and what Claude Julien wants (i.e. as few young players as possible).

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
There has been far too much re-arranging of the desk chairs the last few seasons. We keep saying that 'the top 6 is fine' when clearly they aren't getting it done. They seem to keep getting it wrong on the bottom 6. They seem to not think the defensive core is much of an issue. This is an organization that doesn't seem to know what their gameplan is.

They've made quite a few GOOD to GREAT draft choices over the last few years, miles better than the last few years under Chiarelli. The way it "SEEMS" to be is that they've signed players that are plugging in roles while younger players develop and eventually start to take spots in the lineup. What you would call a transition. The problem is, the voices at the top want this team to make the playoffs at the same time. Which isn't happening with the roster you're icing. If you want to get the talent needed to make the playoffs, you have to trade those draft choices that you've made and let them develop elsewhere, but that defeats the purpose of trying to develop them. I think that Sweeney and Neely had a plan, but the Jacobs' voice is clearly overpowering that and causing an overall cluster**** that Sweeney and Neely do not know how to handle, causing them to try and appease their bosses and making weird, non-sequitur moves like trading for Zac Rinaldo, not trading away Soderberg or Eriksson and letting them walk for nothing, trading away assets for marginal players like Stempniak and Liles and Connolly that didn't actually make the team any better. Their talent evaluation of players outside the organization is horrendous. And what is amusing about all of this is that they could have held those assets, or acquired assets (via Eriksson, Soderberg, and others) to acquire better talent. And the thing is, they STILL wouldn't have made the playoffs in those prior years, but they'd be MUCH better off, and STILL have the much of the talent pool they have in their system right now.

The disconnect between the management and the head of the operation (the Jacobs) is mind bogglingly stupid and simply shouldn't be happening. This organization right now is in a bad state of flux that they can't seem to get themselves out of, and I'm worried it might be this way for quite a long while.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I was actually extremely happy to see Backes finally moved to a 3rd line center as it gave our team so much more depth.....but then you see a guy like Nash playing the RW with him and Spooner. That to me is a waste.

As much as I like Schaller this year, he should not be playing the LW with DK and Pasta.

Yes, I understand injuries didn't help (Belesky being out of our top 9) but we need help scoring goals.....more so then keeping the puck out of the net.

Trading is difficult in the NHL today, but I don't understand how we could not acquire a top 9 forward to help with this squad......guys like Moore, Nash, Schaller, Hayes, Blidh, and even to some extent Czarnik can all be improved upon. (And I have no problem keeping Moore above everyone on that list).

Defending is this teams problem right now, and has been since mid-November. Something tells me Rask would agree.

Offense is less of a concern now that your getting production from Krejci, Krug, and Vatrano that wasn't there in Oct/early Nov.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Defending is this teams problem right now, and has been since mid-November. Something tells me Rask would agree.

Offense is less of a concern now that your getting production from Krejci, Krug, and Vatrano that wasn't there in Oct/early Nov.

I dunno..I tend to disagree.

We're currently 17th in the league for GF and 22nd when you factor in GPG. Prior to our outburst against the Blues/Detroit, we were in the bottom 5 of the league.

When you then look at our GA/GP we're 7th in the league.

Now, I agree...our defense needs help, but they haven't been the problem this year.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I'm with you, that was a head scratcher and that line was brutal.

Backes and Spooner were on the ice for 4 of the 5 goals scored and Czarnik 2 of the 4 goals scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad