All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: XXXIV: How can this team be fixed? ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you're looking at d, the Flyers absolutely have to move one, possibly two.

They have 9 NHL d-men once they re-sign MDZ and Erik Gustafsson wants to come back from the KHL which would make 10. Something has to give

Mark Streit - Michael Del Zotto
Yevgeni Medvedev - Andrew MacDonald
Luke Schenn - Nick Schultz
Nicklas Grossmann - Radko Gudas
Brandon Manning

Gustafsson - an RFA makes 10

interesting you brought this up because Woodlief mentioned they also have 3 top end defensive prospects (Sanheim, Morin, Gostisbehere) and said an interesting trading partner could be Boston where the Flyers trade one of the prospects and the 29/30 pick they got from Tampa for the 14th. I doubt you ever get Sanheim and the 29/30 for the 14th but I'd do it if I was Sweeney.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Id be ok experimenting with luke schenn next to chara as a second pair shut down duo but i need a top gun partner for hamilton to make that work.

My thoughts will be considered radical but if we could use lucic and krug to get bouwmeister and oshie, he becomes hamiltons partner top pair partner. Smith and our first might get us the schenn brothers to become charas second pair partner... then try to get justin schultz and luke gadzic back for dennis seidenberg and chris kelly at 1/2 price

A defense of

Hamilton/bouwmeister
schenn/chara
schultz/morrow
Miller

A forward group of

Pastrnak/krejci/eriksson
oshie/bergeron/marchand
Connolly/spooner/schenn
Ferlin/kid/talbot
gadzic

I think the cap works... we keep enough toughness. Improve team speed a bit

Get a little younger

Chara - Schenn would possibly be the slowest d pairing in the history of the NHL

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why are we talking of Schenn?
The goal is to improve this team and get someone who can skate and play defense.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Woof things are bad when the fanbase is considering Luke Schenn as a viable upgrade.

What they need is the guy Seidenberg was 3 years ago. Just an all around solid player who can play in all situations and eat minutes. Doesn't have to be a stud at any one thing.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Woof things are bad when the fanbase is considering Luke Schenn as a viable upgrade.

What they need is the guy Seidenberg was 3 years ago. Just an all around solid player who can play in all situations and eat minutes. Doesn't have to be a stud at any one thing.

Well let's not act like Seidenberg was an average D man. He wasn't flashy at all but his defensive game was exceptional, his positioning and strength on the puck were among the best on our team. He never stood out much because he almost never made a mistake (turnovers, errant passes, caught out of position) but that in itself is a remarkable feat. The price for D man of that stature isn't cheap... just look at how much Minnesota is paying Suter who for all intents and purposes plays a very Seidenberg-like game.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
interesting you brought this up because Woodlief mentioned they also have 3 top end defensive prospects (Sanheim, Morin, Gostisbehere) and said an interesting trading partner could be Boston where the Flyers trade one of the prospects and the 29/30 pick they got from Tampa for the 14th. I doubt you ever get Sanheim and the 29/30 for the 14th but I'd do it if I was Sweeney.

And then pray that DeBrusk is still there.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Well let's not act like Seidenberg was an average D man. He wasn't flashy at all but his defensive game was exceptional, his positioning and strength on the puck were among the best on our team. He never stood out much because he almost never made a mistake (turnovers, errant passes, caught out of position) but that in itself is a remarkable feat. The price for D man of that stature isn't cheap... just look at how much Minnesota is paying Suter who for all intents and purposes plays a very Seidenberg-like game.

I love Seids, but even in his prime, Suter he was not. The cost to the B's for that guy was what a 2nd round pick and a $4M contract?

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

That is interesting but its very risky giving up that 14 in such a good draft for anything short of a very good player coming back, I hope Sweeney is on the phone to Hextall though, they have so much D they can afford to help us out right? :laugh:

Gostisbehere i've always liked but hes a smaller offensive minded guy, we have that in Krug, not to mention he's just had a knee reco this season.

I think we need a big defensive defensemen to play with Dougie and let Dougie move the puck and play offense, Chara is too slow to do that with Dougie and if you pair him with Seids they're too slow together.

Im getting pumped for this draft though!
ps just a thought, does anyone think we'd have the cap space if we dropped Seids and Kelly to sign Sekera?

Dougie Sekera
Chara Krug
Morrow Trotman (probably won't happen, too scary)

thoughts? gives us 7 million in cap[ space, Sekera will get 5 won't he? He'd be an upgrace over Seids and if it only sets us back 1million more thats worth it (I know LA are real high on him and wanna hold onto him though)

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I would also enquire with LA about Toffoli, basically I think its gonne come down to him or Sekera, I don't think they have the cap space to sign both.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

I'd do a lot to get Morin. A whole lot. Don't see them parting with him though.

:dumbo:

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
I love Seids, but even in his prime, Suter he was not. The cost to the B's for that guy was what a 2nd round pick and a $4M contract?

Of course Seidenberg was never as good a player as Suter, I wasn't trying to imply that, but they had similar skillsets and the gap between them (at least defensively) was not massive. Personally I've always found Suter a tad bit overrated and Seidenberg a tad bit underrated on this site (I'm talking about hayday Seids, not last season Seids of course). So when you consider Suter's insane contract (well north of 7 mil, last I heard he was third among D-men in the league) it's clear that even purely defensive defenseman are going to cost an arm and a leg. This might be an extreme example but the trend scales with the skill of the player -- I'd expect to pay north of $5mill for any defenseman legitimately capable of top 4 minutes.

Right now our best bet would probably be Sekera but given the potential offer sheet nightmare with Dougie it's going to be tough keeping what we have, let alone adding. Unfortunately I don't see a way we're gonna be able to sign or trade for anyone significant on the blue line. Going to have to put our faith in Trotman and Morrow, which isn't the end of the world I guess.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014

They have 9 NHL d-men once they re-sign MDZ and Erik Gustafsson wants to come back from the KHL which would make 10. Something has to give

Brandon Manning

Props to the Flyers for getting as many points as they did with that group.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would also enquire with LA about Toffoli, basically I think its gonne come down to him or Sekera, I don't think they have the cap space to sign both.

If they sign Sekera they will shop Martinez. Martinez could be had cheaply and he could be a strong 2nd pairing D for us and give our D prospects time to grow on the 3rd pairing, he is signed for 6 years at 4M, 28y next season.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Interesting you brought this up because I wasn't pulling a rabbit out of my hat ;)

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I don't know if they would do Sanheim/Morin + 29/30th for 14th. I think Boston would have to add for those two. Gostisbehere is a possibility and I like his game, reminds me a bit of Shattenkirk at the NCAA level but with better offense. Still a bit of a work in progress though.

Certainly an interesting scenario. Who do they target at 29/30th? DeBrusk, Sprong, Boeser? Or does someone projected to go mid to late teens/early 20s fall like Chabot, Roy, Bittner, White, Guryanov?

If they walked out of draft day with Gostibehere, one of DeBrusk/Sprong/White/Guryanov, and someone at 37th like Juulsen/Meloche/Dunn/Senyshyn. I'd be a happy Irishpaulie! :nod:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If they sign Sekera they will shop Martinez. Martinez could be had cheaply and he could be a strong 2nd pairing D for us and give our D prospects time to grow on the 3rd pairing, he is signed for 6 years at 4M, 28y next season.

Now there's a good target.

Those are the types of players this team needs to stock up on. Similarly, if the HAwks really do have to dump salary I'd be aggressive trying to acquire either of Hjalmarrson and Oduya. We're looking for d-men who can make strong outlet passes, have some vision and confidence with the puck, but whom can also play solid defense. They don't have to have the speed of Torey Krug, but they have to be better defenders.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I have my doubts on Martinez, he has never played a full season, and has played very sheltered minutes most of his career (finally top 16:01 this year). My guess is LA will be trying to fleece someone and expect a great deal in return. I am unwilling to do that for a guy who is still pretty unproven

I don't know if they would do Sanheim/Morin + 29/30th for 14th. I think Boston would have to add for those two. Gostisbehere is a possibility and I like his game, reminds me a bit of Shattenkirk at the NCAA level but with better offense. Still a bit of a work in progress though.

Certainly an interesting scenario. Who do they target at 29/30th? DeBrusk, Sprong, Boeser? Or does someone projected to go mid to late teens/early 20s fall like Chabot, Roy, Bittner, White, Guryanov?

If they walked out of draft day with Gostibehere, one of DeBrusk/Sprong/White/Guryanov, and someone at 37th like Juulsen/Meloche/Dunn/Senyshyn. I'd be a happy Irishpaulie! :nod:

Gostibehere doesn't do it for me. He is a small guy who needs a good bit of work on his defense, and now he has to try to recover from a torn ACL. Too many red flags for me there. he might be 2 years from being ready to be more than a call up guy, and I have doubts what his long term potential is.

I think it is a pretty big drop from 14 down to the end of the round, and while you can still get a very good player, he will likely be someone you scouts rated 10 spots lower, maybe more. If I am doing that it needs to be to bring a special player in, and someone who fills a Clear organizational need and will be able to do it in the near term. Morin/Sanheim might fit that, Gotisbehere does not

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Move out Kelly and Reilly Smith, this will give us the additional savings that we need. Kelly is nothing but a 4th line talent these days and being slow, doesn't fit the mold of the new GM going forward, as for Smith, another guy who is on the slow side and doesn't fit the new mold. As a bonus we don't get to see him on the point on the PP where he is a disaster. Seidenberg could rebound this year, not ready to dump him off yet.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Now there's a good target.

Those are the types of players this team needs to stock up on. Similarly, if the HAwks really do have to dump salary I'd be aggressive trying to acquire either of Hjalmarrson and Oduya. We're looking for d-men who can make strong outlet passes, have some vision and confidence with the puck, but whom can also play solid defense. They don't have to have the speed of Torey Krug, but they have to be better defenders.

I like Hjalmarrson; young, cost controlled, decent skater. Easily top 4 D upside.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
I like Hjalmarrson; young, cost controlled, decent skater. Easily top 4 D upside.

Eh, he's not that young, 28 years old (though he just had his birthday).

Top-4 upside is understating it. He's a very good #2-#3. Pretty much what Seidenberg used to be.

And no, there's absolutely no way the Hawks would trade him, plenty of other players they'd get rid of before him to solve cap issues.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Brandon Manning

Good points, Dom.

Only issue, I don't like any of those D for the B's, given their situation, except Gudas as a 3rd pair with Krug. That doesn't solve the Top 4, 2-way D issue though.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

He's prime aged at 28, and he's already a legit #2-3. He's the 3# on CHI but easily a number 2 on other teams. Hjammer is not a guy that will come cheaply he fits perfect with CHI

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
He's prime aged at 28, and he's already a legit #2-3. He's the 3# on CHI but easily a number 2 on other teams. Hjammer is not a guy that will come cheaply he fits perfect with CHI

Not a massive fan of Hammer. He wilts when the games ramp up and the physicality intensifies. He coughed up a ton of pucks in the series with Boston two years ago because he was tired of Lucic hitting him and had a similar bad habit versus another physical team in Anaheim in the WCF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad