All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: XXXI: Chia you got some splainin to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Can't believe that for a 3rd straight year, the "prices were too high". The NHL is very lucky to have GM who are ready to make trade because if the league was full of Chiarelli, there's was not one single trade who would happen.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Can't believe that for a 3rd straight year, the "prices were too high". The NHL is very lucky to have GM who are ready to make trade because if the league was full of Chiarelli, there's was not one single trade who would happen.

When your team is on the bubble, other GM's know that. By starting the season off behind the 8 ball with a few needs that went unaddressed, he put himself in a hole when it came time for negotiations. I'm sure his prices he had to pay for certain players were higher than others.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
When your team is on the bubble, other GM's know that. By starting the season off behind the 8 ball with a few needs that went unaddressed, he put himself in a hole when it came time for negotiations. I'm sure his prices he had to pay for certain players were higher than others.

I just don't think he understands value in the NHL.

Prices were apparently "too high" last year, yet the Kings got Gaborik for Frattin, a 2nd, and a conditional 3rd. They were only like 7th in the Conference yet Columbus was stilling willing to accept that.

The Boychuk trade was awful value. The Seguin trade was awful value. The Wheeler and Kaberle deals ultimately got us a Cup but weren't very good value. He reportedly offered Spooner + 2nd for Stewart.

He's made a couple of good ones like the Recchi and Seidenberg deals, but I just don't trust him in terms of making trades right now.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007

Prices were apparently "too high" last year, yet the Kings got Gaborik for Frattin, a 2nd, and a conditional 3rd. They were only like 7th in the Conference yet Columbus was stilling willing to accept that.

The Boychuk trade was awful value. The Seguin trade was awful value. The Wheeler and Kaberle deals ultimately got us a Cup but weren't very good value. He reportedly offered Spooner + 2nd for Stewart.

He's made a couple of good ones like the Recchi and Seidenberg deals, but I just don't trust him in terms of making trades right now.

I agree with this but to be fair, the Wheeler deal was a salary dump to make room for Kaberle so they knew they weren't getting anything great in return in that deal (Pevs sure helped that year but once he was re-signed he wasn't effective) so that one shouldn't really count in this list.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I agree with this but to be fair, the Wheeler deal was a salary dump to make room for Kaberle so they knew they weren't getting anything great in return in that deal (Pevs sure helped that year but once he was re-signed he wasn't effective) so that one shouldn't really count in this list.

I understand that it was a move to make salary cap space for Kaberle. While it did result in a Cup, I still felt like picks should have been added by Atlanta to even out the value we were giving up.

Boychuk, Seguin, and Spooner + 2nd for Stewart are the best recent examples.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

then what's the excuse for only adding Meszaros last year? They were the best team in the East at the time of the deadline. By your logic he should have had leverage to get something better than Mez

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
then what's the excuse for only adding Meszaros last year? They were the best team in the East at the time of the deadline. By your logic he should have had leverage to get something better than Mez

You have to understand that there is never a good circumstance for Chiarelli to actually do **** with this team. There is always an excuse.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Chiarelli was on the phone discussing the "Edler deal" with Vancouver last year. Fitting Edler's $5 million cap hit onto this team, which was already going to have cap problems the very next season, made zero sense. Me thinks that there was no potential deal, but rather a BS PR move by Chiarelli to try and cover his arse for doing nothing. Funny how the talks that he supposedly "laid the groundwork on" never came through in the summer.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Chiarelli was on the phone discussing the "Edler deal" with Vancouver last year. Fitting Edler's $5 million cap hit onto this team, which was already going to have cap problems the very next season, made zero sense. Me thinks that there was no potential deal, but rather a BS PR move by Chiarelli to try and cover his arse for doing nothing. Funny how the talks that he supposedly "laid the groundwork on" never came through in the summer.

Chiarelli doesn't report to the public. He's not an elected official. Saying that he's intentionally leaking false stories just so he looks better (which he doesn't) makes no sense.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Lots of wrong in this post.

Boychuk trade was essentially one year of Boychuk for 3 years of RFA Connolly. On a team that drafted poorly from 07-09 and needs young cheap guys, thats a good swap if you ask me...especially...ESPECIALLY...given that Krejci ended up being out all year and Chara got hurt. Boychuk gets too much love around here. He is playing minutes closer to the level of difficulty of Krug than Chara in NY. And since Leddy went down, he has been a tire fire.

Did the stuff he gave up for Kaberle amount to anything?

Was anyone crying about Wheeler going anywhere? IIRC, people were wondering what it would be like to not be offsides all the time. Wheeler developed into an OK player, but the Bruins needed to win now...and would not have w/o Peverley.

Gaborik had 9 goals over two years when that deal was made. Lets not play revisionist history. Come on.

Kings paid a lot for a guy who had been made of paper. They got lucky.

Spooner + 2nd is highly comparable to Frattin + 2nd + conditional 3rd. With Spooner's improvement since, its clearly a better offer than what Gaborik went for. Bruins were hoping to get lucky with Stewart. Sabers wanted even more, Chia said no. Sabers ended up settling for less.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

10000% disagree. What this team needs is a low end #1 to bridge the gap between Chara and Hamilton. Trying to buy low on Edler last year was the right move and I'm still annoyed it didn't work out. Obviously grabbing Edler wouldn't have been the only move for the cap reasons you cited.

Its hard to follow up on laid ground work when the GM is fired and replaced with your assistant GM, sport.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

Fitting in Edler made a heck of a lot of sense. They were knowingly & actively sacrificing 2014/15 for the sake of 2013/14, and a middle-pairing D was the biggest hole. One could argue that they failed, or that there was a better option than Edler, but the strategy absolutely made sense.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

Boychuk trade was essentially one year of Boychuk for 3 years of RFA Connolly. On a team that drafted poorly from 07-09 and needs young cheap guys, thats a good swap if you ask me...especially...ESPECIALLY...given that Krejci ended up being out all year and Chara got hurt. Boychuk gets too much love around here. He is playing minutes closer to the level of difficulty of Krug than Chara in NY. And since Leddy went down, he has been a tire fire.

Was anyone crying about Wheeler going anywhere? IIRC, people were wondering what it would be like to not be offsides all the time. Wheeler developed into an OK player, but the Bruins needed to win now...and would not have w/o Peverley.

Gaborik had 9 goals over two years when that deal was made. Lets not play revisionist history. Come on.

Spooner + 2nd is highly comparable to Frattin + 2nd + conditional 3rd. With Spooner's improvement since, its clearly a better offer than what Gaborik went for. Bruins were hoping to get lucky with Stewart. Sabres wanted even more, Chia said no. Sabres ended up settling for less.

The problem with this is had Chiarelli hung on to Boychuk at least until the deadline like most believed he should have, two things would have happened:

1) he would have seen that Seids was trashed and probably re-evaluated his decision to keep Seids over Boychuk (even with the knowledge that re-signing him could cost the 6 he ended up geting)

2) he would have gotten more for Boychuk at the deadline than he did at the beginning of the season

It's hindsight at this point, but even at the time I think most people believed that holding onto him would have been the better play, and those people were right. Chiarelli gambled that Seidenberg would be back to form and Boychuk wouldn't end up being worth more than those two seconds. He was wrong. It was underpayment then, and it's underpayment now.

Same principle with the Connolly trade. It doesn't matter if Connolly turns into Ovechkin 2.0. The fact is, Connolly for two seconds was bad value.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA

Spooner + 2nd is highly comparable to Frattin + 2nd + conditional 3rd. With Spooner's improvement since, its clearly a better offer than what Gaborik went for. Bruins were hoping to get lucky with Stewart. Sabres wanted even more, Chia said no. Sabres ended up settling for less.

So, you're OK with the Bruins offering more for Chris Stewart than what the Kings offered for Marian Gaborik?

What those draft picks turned into in the Kaberle trade should be irrelevant when evaluating the Bruins. Chiarelli gave up a player, a first, and another pick for Kaberle. That's all that should be evaluated from the Bruins side. For what its worth one of those picks was Rickard Rakell on the Ducks who I remember people wanting to go for at the deadline.

I don't even like Boychuk as a player that much, but his perception around the league is a lot higher and he should have commanded more value than 2 2nds. Coburn got Gudas, 1st, and a 3rd. Yandle got Moore, Duclair, a 1st, and a 2nd. Sekera got a 1st. Franson was the primary piece of a trade that got a 1st. Sekera and Franson are also both UFAs. I think Connolly was a bit of an overpayment but hope he can turn into a good player.

The Seguin trade was and still remains an absolute robbery.

I'm willing to let the Wheeler and Kaberle trades slide because of what they ultimately brought in a Cup.

I completely disagree with Boychuk, Seguin, and 2nd + Stewart being fair value though.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The problem with this is had Chiarelli hung on to Boychuk at least until the deadline like most believed he should have, two things would have happened:

1) he would have seen that Seids was trashed and probably re-evaluated his decision to keep Seids over Boychuk (even with the knowledge that re-signing him could cost the 6 he ended up geting)

2) he would have gotten more for Boychuk at the deadline than he did at the beginning of the season

It's hindsight at this point, but even at the time I think most people believed that holding onto him would have been the better play, and those people were right. Chiarelli gambled that Seidenberg would be back to form and Boychuk wouldn't end up being worth more than those two seconds. He was wrong. It was underpayment then, and it's underpayment now.

Same principle with the Connolly trade. It doesn't matter if Connolly turns into Ovechkin 2.0. The fact is, Connolly for two seconds was bad value.

So lets play this out.

Say you don't trade Boychuk before the season. You have to move Kelly or McQuaid + Campbell or something like that before the season.

Kelly coming off two straight injury filled seasons is damaged goods. McQuaid was also coming of injury. Damaged goods. Campbell just sucks. You would have to pay someone to take them.

Calgary was rumored to be willing to take on bad contracts for a 1st. That would have been Pastrnak. Obviously thats a disaster. Lets say Chia talked them down to a 2nd to take Kelly and Campbell. Smooth move, Chia. The fans are happy! We have Boychuk!

Now you go into the season with Boychuk and your D is way better. You probably are securely in the playoffs right now as a 6 seed or something. But, with the injuries/regression to Chara, Seidenberg, and Krejci you are not a Cup contender. BUT, you are too good to deal Boychuk at the deadline.

So now you come to this offseason. You have no 2nd round pick. You have no Connolly. Boychuk is walking. You are in a far far worse long term position are you not?

Dealing Boychuk was a calculated risk. You still had picks to go grab more assets if things broke right. IF Krejci hadn't been hurt all year and Seids was back to himself and Chara was himself and Pastrnak was playing well and Spooner was playing well, and Eriksson rebounded and if if if...Chia would have had the chips to be aggressive at the deadline.

Things didn't break right, so he made a couple of moves for the future. Dealing Boychuk then gave them flexibility depending on how things broke.

Connolly is a shooter. When the deal was made his goal output would have been good for 2nd line minutes on this team. He is cheap. Talbot at 50% retained gives you a versatile veteran who can play all three forward positions for half the price of Campbell and babysit the kids, while being a Kelly/Thornton type in the locker room. The best part is that Talbot means the Paille and Campbell and maybe even Kelly can be moved out.

So whats better? One year of Boychuk and no 2nd round pick this year or 3 years of a middle 6 scoring forward at RFA prices plus having a 2nd round pick this year? Doesn't sound like a disaster to me.

Chia doesn't always make the right move. The Seguin trade was a disaster. But he is playing chess while the people on this board are playing checkers.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So, you're OK with the Bruins offering more for Chris Stewart than what the Kings offered for Marian Gaborik?

What those draft picks turned into in the Kaberle trade should be irrelevant when evaluating the Bruins. Chiarelli gave up a player, a first, and another pick for Kaberle. That's all that should be evaluated from the Bruins side. For what its worth one of those picks was Rickard Rakell on the Ducks who I remember people wanting to go for at the deadline.

I don't even like Boychuk as a player that much, but his perception around the league is a lot higher and he should have commanded more value than 2 2nds. Coburn got Gudas, 1st, and a 3rd. Yandle got Moore, Duclair, a 1st, and a 2nd. Sekera got a 1st. Franson was the primary piece of a trade that got a 1st. Sekera and Franson are also both UFAs. I think Connolly was a bit of an overpayment but hope he can turn into a good player.

The Seguin trade was and still remains an absolute robbery.

I'm willing to let the Wheeler and Kaberle trades slide because of what they ultimately brought in a Cup.

I completely disagree with Boychuk, Seguin, and 2nd + Stewart being fair value though.

I'm glad as ***** that the Stewart trade didn't get made. That being said, Spooner's value was LOW, and Stewart was more of a sure bet than Gaborik was. I'm also glad that Chia didn't go any higher and held his ground.

Seguin deal sucked. Yup.

See post above on Boychuk deal. I don't see why people think that we would have dealt Boychuk at the deadline. If he is on the team in February, he is still on the team now.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I'm glad as ***** that the Stewart trade didn't get made. That being said, Spooner's value was LOW, and Stewart was more of a sure bet than Gaborik was. I'm also glad that Chia didn't go any higher and held his ground.

Seguin deal sucked. Yup.

See post above on Boychuk deal. I don't see why people think that we would have dealt Boychuk at the deadline. If he is on the team in February, he is still on the team now.

Question is if he's still on the team , is Claude still playing Seids and Chara 20-25 mins per game. Boychuk wasn't valued as much by Julien clearly by his lack of minutes over the years _ i'm not sure that would have changed even with the injuries.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still have zero problem with the Boychuk deal in a vacuum.

The timing of it was just stupid, especially when we didn't know what we had on the blue line yet.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Question is if he's still on the team , is Claude still playing Seids and Chara 20-25 mins per game. Boychuk wasn't valued as much by Julien clearly by his lack of minutes over the years _ i'm not sure that would have changed even with the injuries.

Boychuk is playing less than 30 seconds more on Long Island than he did in his last season here. And he is being given zone starts and quality of competition closer to Krug's rates than Chara's rates.

And since the All Star break, Boychuk has been a minus player on one of the best teams in the league.

Boychuk wouldn't be a savior here. He is a low end #2, ideal #3. The weaknesses in his game are skating and puck moving. You know. The weaknesses the rest of this team has.

If you have Boychuk, your lines are:

Chara Hamilton
Seidenberg Boychuk

Siedenberg and Chara are still playing the same minutes. And your top 4 has even less puck moving ability than before. You are probably a 6 seed, and you have way fewer futures to be able to make real moves this summer.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The timing of it was just stupid, especially when we didn't know what we had on the blue line yet.

Yes, the timing was questionable. Right before the season started. Heartbreaking in the room. You have the think the deal with the Islanders was like plan Q, right? I've always bought into the theory that Chia was trying to make a bigger deal with the Oilers and couldn't pull it off*

*and if you want to ***** about Chia, this is where you can do it. The fact that he is only one of like 3 GMs in the game that wasn't a player or at least related to a player/former front office person has to hurt him when he is trying to make deals, right? I can't imagine he has the same repore that other GMs have.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Yeah, i do wonder. Did Chia have the Islander deal in his back pocket, and spend the month of September waiting for the Oilers to give in? Or did he spend much of the summer trying to deal Boychuk, and it wasn't until right before opening day when the Isles finally gave in.

Personally, I spent the summer expecting Boychuk to be gone so I was not the least bit surprised when he was, but the timing does make you wonder

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chiarelli been bad at the draft table without question and its reason now the defence stinks.

Yup 2007 to 2009 was just a pile of epic fail, but the guys in charge of those drafts are gone and things are looking up in the past 5 drafts.

Spooner, Trotman, Dougie, Koko, Ferlin, Subban, Grzelcyk, Griffith, Arnesson, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Pastrnak, Donato, and Heinen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig