Speculation: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XII:Yes this is the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Who on here even said that? Who are you targeting with that?

The advanced stat mafia in general that overvalue a player like Kessel, Mason Raymond or Stephen Weiss and think players like McQuaid or Thornton bring nothing to the team and are a liability.

acr*

The advanced stat mafia in general that overvalue a player like Kessel, Mason Raymond or Stephen Weiss and think players like McQuaid or Thornton bring nothing to the team and are a liability.

Careful, man. These walls have ears.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Not sure by what metric anyone would overvalue Kessel, if anything advanced stats would point to a pretty mixed evaluation for Kessel. Aside from PDO thanks to his high quality shot and helped out by high on Ice Save %, his numbers are pretty gruesome.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
to me, pastrnak's arrival has called off the dogs for the time being. it's a nice thing, since i feared a panic trade from the GM was imminent. this at least buys him some time to see what the story is...but i do believe they will land another top-9 forward at the very least.

I was bracing for a bad deal as well. So happy that Pasta has at least given them a little breathing room before doing anything drastic. I just have very little faith in the scouting abilities of this staff at this point, despite Pastrnak looking like a keeper.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.

I agree. The problem with the CORSI stat is that its not a worthwhile statistic. Hockey tried to jump on the advance stat bandwagon without evaluating the statistics effectiveness. Someday someone will come up with a valid Advanced Stat for hockey but it hasn't happened yet.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He's at best a very good third pair guy. At worst he's an oft injured defenseman.

Look McQuaid is a great warrior and good piece on our team, but let's not pretend he's more than he is. He's NOT a long term top 4 defenseman solution. As long as he is and stays paid as a bottom pairing defenseman, I'm all for keeping him. All of the other pros you listed are true. But I'll be damned if we continue to overpay depth role players to keep them in Boston. McQuaid's a warrior, no doubt. But many of the Bruins cap problems lie with overpaying depth players that can't consistently produce/be effective/play up to the contract. McQuaid had a great week, hell, he's been good most of the season. But let's not forget Adam McQuaid has NEVER played a full season, he is NOT a top 4 defenseman skillwise, and he is what he is (which is neither negative nor positive). I'm all for paying him appropriately in relation to team needs, but we can't be throwing a few extra bucks here and there to every depth guy we have. That's why we have this cap situation.

Got to agree with most of this. I keep Quaider, but he isn't cut out for a 2nd pairing. 3rd pair and reliable PKer, added toughness, fantastic.

To me that's the most obvious spot for an upgrade. Another sneaky Seidenberg type move to bring in a nice steady, jack of all trades, type guy. Don't need flashy but a RH #3/4 who can bump Quaider back to 3rd pair and Miller as your 7th.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I agree. The problem with the CORSI stat is that its not a worthwhile statistic. Hockey tried to jump on the advance stat bandwagon without evaluating the statistics effectiveness. Someday someone will come up with a valid Advanced Stat for hockey but it hasn't happened yet.

Any stat used in isolation and without qualitative analysis and context is useless.

FWIW all 3 of those "overrated" players mentioned have absolutely abysmal CORSI's over the past 3 years.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
PC would look genius like if he can sign JB in the summer.
I think it happens and he ends up renting #55 for 2 - 2nd round picks. :)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
to me, pastrnak's arrival has called off the dogs for the time being. it's a nice thing, since i feared a panic trade from the GM was imminent. this at least buys him some time to see what the story is...but i do believe they will land another top-9 forward at the very least.

What scares me about your observation nugs is that a) PC would have to get to such a point before panicking whereas he should have seen the need to make a move months earlier, and b) he now has more "time". How much friggin time does this guy need???!!!

I am as excited as anyone about Pastrnak, but the reasonable assumption is that he either gets hurt, wears down or is a fraction of what he was last night when the playoff game rolls around. It's part of the process for an 18-year old, let alone a tiny one. So to me, he's a nice additional piece, but he doesn't solve a problem. The needs this team has had since Montreal beat them remain the same, and the GM remains equally inactive.

I didn't want a panic trade, but I did want some sign he was still on the job. The GM should show he has the pulse of the team and an idea of their needs...I legitimately think he is now riding the coattails of his coach and the core of this team. I don't think he has a plan, I don't think he knows what type of player(s) this team needs, and I think he's falling back on the safe route of going with the guys who got him here in the past.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If everyone plays up to their ability, I see 3 potential holes on this team.

1. Middle six RW. We need a guy that can ideally play on a line with Loui/Soda, but step up into a top six role if there was an injury or a line change needed to be made.

2. Second pairing defensemen that can play solid in his own end and make more of an impact on the transition game that Seidenberg. Seids is our guy on the second pair and should be able to focus on shutting down other teams. Pair him up with a dependable guy that will be able to take the reigns moving the puck up the ice.

3. 4th line RW. In a perfect world, Kelly is the 4C and Campbell moves on. Paille and Kelly would form the 4th line, but I think we need someone a bit bigger on the 4th line than Cunningham. Truthfully, and flame away, while I love Cunningham, I think Caron's body size gives the Bruins a better look. I would like to see Jordy be told that spot is his if he can bring 100% physicality every night. See what he does by the deadline and if doesn't cement a spot, look at a deal for a player like Clifford or maybe even Matt Hendricks.

Loui's been playing the right all year, has he not?

acr*

Loui's been playing the right all year, has he not?

He has, but given his versatility and our need for more R shots up front, I think if we get a forward they will be an RW and Loui would shift to the left. I think the logic would be that in spite of Pastrnak looking like the real deal, we would need to hedge a bit and fear that there will be regression to the mean at some point. If that occurs, the need for a middle six guy that could move up, either to Bergy's line or higher, on the RW would be needed. Just my two cents though.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I don't think Claude's intention is to let Loui finally get comfortable on the right, only to move him to the left. Just doubt that's the plan.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not sure by what metric anyone would overvalue Kessel, if anything advanced stats would point to a pretty mixed evaluation for Kessel. Aside from PDO thanks to his high quality shot and helped out by high on Ice Save %, his numbers are pretty gruesome.

Yeah, I hate it when people dump on advanced stats and then cite off a bunch of crap that just isn't true.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Chia should go hard after Sekara. If you look at the rest of the UFA D-men, all have question marks or are playing for contending/playoff teams.

Sekara is a decent puck-mover who can defend. While he isn't a bone-crusher he's pretty solid all-around player. He can play left or right side D even though he's a left shot. There are multiple combinations with the Bruins existing D-core that he could fit with.

But the sooner they can acquire him the better. Julien's defense system is a tough adjustment. Most of the D-men that have been acquired at the deadline haven't had a smooth transition into the Julien system, the only exception being Seidenberg in 2010. The more time a potential D acquisition has to get comfortable in the Julien system the better the results should be.

What would the cost be? Given the lack of reliable UFA D-men I would say pretty high.

acr*

I don't think Claude's intention is to let Loui finally get comfortable on the right, only to move him to the left. Just doubt that's the plan.

I think he has seen a few looks on the left, like on the PP, and when Smith shifts down. All things are possible with the clodefish.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I think he has seen a few looks on the left, like on the PP, and when Smith shifts down. All things are possible with the clodefish.

I will give you that. Nobody expects the Clodefish.

The Clodefish's chief weapon is surprise. Fear and surprise. His two weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency. His 3 weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency.

AMONGST his weapons are such elements as

-Fear
-Surprise
-Ruthless efficiency
-Willingness to play young guys!

monty-python-spanish-inquisition.png

acr*

I will give you that. Nobody expects the Clodefish.

The Clodefish's chief weapon is surprise. Fear and surprise. His two weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency. His 3 weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency.

AMONGST his weapons are such elements as

-Fear
-Surprise
-Ruthless efficiency
-Willingness to play young guys!

monty-python-spanish-inquisition.png

You know a good free photoshop program? I want to take the picture from ET of everyone on the bikes and ET in the basket and insert the clodefish in the basket with players on the bikes. Someone needs to make this happen.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
What scares me about your observation nugs is that a) PC would have to get to such a point before panicking whereas he should have seen the need to make a move months earlier, and b) he now has more "time". How much friggin time does this guy need???!!!

I am as excited as anyone about Pastrnak, but the reasonable assumption is that he either gets hurt, wears down or is a fraction of what he was last night when the playoff game rolls around. It's part of the process for an 18-year old, let alone a tiny one. So to me, he's a nice additional piece, but he doesn't solve a problem. The needs this team has had since Montreal beat them remain the same, and the GM remains equally inactive.

I didn't want a panic trade, but I did want some sign he was still on the job. The GM should show he has the pulse of the team and an idea of their needs...I legitimately think he is now riding the coattails of his coach and the core of this team. I don't think he has a plan, I don't think he knows what type of player(s) this team needs, and I think he's falling back on the safe route of going with the guys who got him here in the past.

i don't have much faith in the GM to make a good move. basically, i'm expecting him to either, 1) trade for a guy that doesn't fit in here...or...2) to overpay for whatever piece he acquires. or possibly 1 & 2. 3 would be acquiring the right guy but totally bending over to the opposing GM. also a possibility, although not sure if there's even a "right guy" out there.

my guess is he makes a move in early february, regardless of what pastrnak is doing at the time. i don't believe #88 will be playing a very big role (if he has a role at all) come playoffs. DKH is probably close here, a guy like stafford who fits in a few different line combos, and is well-rounded enough to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad