Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Since you say right wing, it must mean that Kreider isn’t very likely, which sucks.
Would rather get someone with term (hopefully on the right side of 30) if we're going to be paying a hefty price either way.

Little bit of a Catch-22, IF we (presumably) include a D prospect in trade for a winger with term AND lose Krug -- AND then lose a D at the expansion draft AND Chara rides into the sunset (cup in hands). Choose wisely!

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
From my feeling I jumped around capfriendly to look at RWs with term that I felt could at least be possibilities of being traded in general, and would directly impact the Krug contract. Not including Palmieri or Kreider to get some different names to discuss. Some are just names that popped out to me, not saying I'd go for them or if it's realistic.

Although I did not take those other things like DeBrusk and Chara into consideration.

I threw a quick list together, in no particular order.

PlayerCap HitFinal year of contract
Voracek8.252024
Saad62021
Trochek4.752022
Tuch4.752026?
Meier62023
Hertl5.62022
E. Lindholm4.852024
Arvidsson4.252024
Zucker5.52023
Silfverberg5.252024
Rakell3.72022
D. Brown5.82022
Carter5.22022
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I feel like Trochek could be a possibility with the rumors that were out there, though not sure why FLA would trade him, especially in-division. Some of these guys are on the list just because of their teams' situations (SJ, LA, ANA, NSH) this season so you never know.

The other day i played around with capfriendly starting with next year and how trades this year might work out. Maybe I over-simplified things, but I felt it was possible with subtracting Moore, Miller, Backes (granted if he's 100% off the books), extending the RFAs to reasonable contracts, and if the incomming RW was in the 6-7 mil range, Krug in the same area, it left room to fudge those extensions and sign a cheaper backup. I'd post it for an idea of numbers but it timed out and didnt save. Long story short I think it is possible to improve the forward group, but i think it will still be at the expense of the D to an extent. But, with the depth of guys seemingly ready to make a jump, this is probably the season to make the deals.
Kinda thinking along the same lines. The 1st option must be someone with a $6+ million/yr contract if it means Krug’s 6-7 million won’t fit. Unless I’m way off track and Krug is looking for 8+. If that’s the case, Krug should walk. Out of that list Meier stands out with term & cap hit. The others not so much. But what do I know lol

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That's true, Anyway, I think that Anaheim would want Debrusk as the main part of any deal for Rakell. The Ducks are thin at LW. That would hurt, but Boston would have its #2 RW (and a right-shot winger) problem solved, and Bjork could very well equal Debrusk's production if given regular top-six minutes.
Naaah they would LOVE Heinen!!;)

Reactions: TCB and bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Could it be Zucker?

IDK, do you really let Krug walk for next year so you can allocate his cap space to Jason Zucker? Seems like a bad trade-off to me.

If the road they go down is bring in a winger with term knowing Krug is gonzo this off-season, it had better be for a pretty significant player, not a Jason Zucker-type, a non-core level guy.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I've always wondered where in a situation like this, the Bruins could sign Krug as long as the number doesn't put them over the tagging amount for next season/. Then have a trade destination lined up in the off-season for him.

Obviously Krug would give his input on where he wants to go. You'd have to have talks with his picks about what they would give for a signed Krug. The destination team instead of having to bid on him and maybe get him, they instead get a guarantee with him already being locked up to a contract.

I feel like Krug isn't a JAG, and there will be teams lined up for his services.

Hardest part would be signing him to a number that makes him ok with skipping FA bidding but also not too much that scares away other teams. Only catastrophic thing that could happen is he gets a serious injury that scares his destination team away.
If Chara and Backes retire, could be room to re-sign Krug and keep the new RW also.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Sounds like Palmieri is the prize and Toffoli is the fall back.

Maybe they want a 1st and Vaak for Palmieri? And we're offering a 1st and Lauzon? Or they want a 1st and Lauzon and we're offering a 1st and Zboril?

I would normally say yes to any of those deals with this group so close to the end of their Cup window, but hearing that adding a player with term likely means losing Krug makes keeping Vaak that much more important.

Tough choice... I can see why they're haggling.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
IDK, do you really let Krug walk for next year so you can allocate his cap space to Jason Zucker? Seems like a bad trade-off to me.

If the road they go down is bring in a winger with term knowing Krug is gonzo this off-season, it had better be for a pretty significant player, not a Jason Zucker-type, a non-core level guy.
Exactly. Zucker is a great player, but is he worth more to this team than Krug? Krug outproduces him point wise as it is. And Zucker isn’t exactly the big, physical rw bruins need. Might as well go with Toffoli instead. Almost same production.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
If Chara and Backes retire, could be room to re-sign Krug and keep the new RW also.

From my amateur calculations it is possible even if Chara re-signed for the same as this year (1yr/2mil). Trimming Miller, Moore helps.

Going back to recreate what i did in capfriendly, starting off with some guesses at numbers to re-sign RFAs and the team's UFAs, at least a baseline to get figures together...

Chara - 2mil
Krug - 6.5 mil
DeBrusk - 2 mil
Bjork - 1.25 mil
Lauzon - 1 mil

Losing Miller, Moore, and Grzelcyk (for now) and still having Backes, puts the cap space at 8.9 mil. Now, this isn't counting who might be leaving in a trade - if it's Grz, Heinin (2.8), more can come off, and all the roster is left needing is a backup goalie and you have space to put Clifton, Lauzon, Vaak in at D.

So, roughly 8.9 mil to add the 2RW and have the roster mostly intact. Obviously if a trade is happening i'm assuming someone will be on the outs, so there's that money. Figure some adjustments to those numbers.

I think it's totally doable. If Backes can get off the books then i don't see anything else that could hold them back.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Maybe they want a 1st and Vaak for Palmieri? And we're offering a 1st and Lauzon? Or they want a 1st and Lauzon and we're offering a 1st and Zboril?

I would normally say yes to any of those deals with this group so close to the end of their Cup window, but hearing that adding a player with term likely means losing Krug makes keeping Vaak that much more important.

Id rather have Lauzon than Vaak but that's just me.

Either would be a pretty steep price and I'd pass.
Look at what it cost for Coyle a year ago Donato and a conditional 5th, that turned into a 4th.

Lauzon has proven he's an NHL defenseman with top 4 potential and Im not trading him and a first in a deep draft for Palmeiri and I think it would of been a short conversation if that was what Fitzgerald was asking for.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Hi to all the diehards. Wanted to thank Neelynugs for reaching out with a nice note. I will post what I know and hear as reliable. For those worried, fear not on your right wing, he is coming. They have two offers on the table. both players would be very nice upgrades. One with term that the Bruins want but the asking price is a little steep for them, but not too far off where it can't be accomplished. The other is a rental, return from what I have heard is in line with the player's skill. They want the first guy, but next years planning is a primary holdup. Krug really really wants to stay here and the feeling is the same from the Bruins, but it just isnt all that close right now. If they take on the first acquisition, they are going for it this year, and are almost resigned to Krug having to walk at the end of the year and neither side wants that.

Toffoli it is!

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

In my opinion, they may be better off moving that 1st along with Backes to get rid of his cap hit and maybe try to get a useful UFA in return. Then trade for Toffoli and hope that he re-signs. I'm not sure if teams would be willing, but in my opinion, I think the Bruins have players on their roster/farm that they can trade for a 1st if they really want a 1st in this upcoming draft.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
From my amateur calculations it is possible even if Chara re-signed for the same as this year (1yr/2mil). Trimming Miller, Moore helps.

Going back to recreate what i did in capfriendly, starting off with some guesses at numbers to re-sign RFAs and the team's UFAs, at least a baseline to get figures together...

Chara - 2mil
Krug - 6.5 mil
DeBrusk - 2 mil
Bjork - 1.25 mil
Lauzon - 1 mil

Losing Miller, Moore, and Grzelcyk (for now) and still having Backes, puts the cap space at 8.9 mil. Now, this isn't counting who might be leaving in a trade - if it's Grz, Heinin (2.8), more can come off, and all the roster is left needing is a backup goalie and you have space to put Clifton, Lauzon, Vaak in at D.

So, roughly 8.9 mil to add the 2RW and have the roster mostly intact. Obviously if a trade is happening i'm assuming someone will be on the outs, so there's that money. Figure some adjustments to those numbers.

I think it's totally doable. If Backes can get off the books then i don't see anything else that could hold them back.

I was doing the math on CapFriendly as well. They could probably go vet minimum for Chara with bonuses again, but DeBrusk is going to be higher than $2M (Heinen just got $2.8 and DeBrusk is better than him) and if Krug was only asking for $6.5M, he'd already be signed.

Assuming Backes is still here, which seems likely, and they re-sign their RFAs plus Chara and a relatively cheap backup goalie, then they might have $10 million or so for Krug and whatever else they want to add. That doesn't include any carryover performance overages they may have. Chara already has $1.25M in bonuses that aren't included in the current salary cap, with another $250k likely coming for making the playoffs and the possibility of $250k more for winning the Cup (knocks on wood).

Of course, you could save some money if you traded away lower/mid-level contracts like Moore and Heinen, or someone like Grz, but Sweeney hasn't really shown much of an interest in trading roster players, and to actually save money the trades would need to be for picks/prospects, and I'm not sure he would do that either.

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
Hi to all the diehards. Wanted to thank Neelynugs for reaching out with a nice note. I will post what I know and hear as reliable. For those worried, fear not on your right wing, he is coming. They have two offers on the table. both players would be very nice upgrades. One with term that the Bruins want but the asking price is a little steep for them, but not too far off where it can't be accomplished. The other is a rental, return from what I have heard is in line with the player's skill. They want the first guy, but next years planning is a primary holdup. Krug really really wants to stay here and the feeling is the same from the Bruins, but it just isnt all that close right now. If they take on the first acquisition, they are going for it this year, and are almost resigned to Krug having to walk at the end of the year and neither side wants that.

TYVM for posting. It is very much appreciated. :)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Hmmm

Palmeiri but maybe lose Krug

Both can be done

I worked up a roster on Capfriendly for next year. I signed Krug at $7.25, DeBrusk ($3.5) and Gryz ($3) to bridge deals, I had NJ retain on Palmieri and take back Moore, and I let Halak walk, choosing to roll the dice on Vladar or Swayman, and I came in just under the $83m cap. That was with no cap penalties carried over from Chara (oh, I resigned Chara to a the same deal at $2m).

Long story short, it seems possible but everything would have to fall into place perfectly to do it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I worked up a roster on Capfriendly for next year. I signed Krug at $7.25, DeBrusk ($3.5) and Gryz ($3) to bridge deals, I had NJ retain on Palmieri and take back Moore, and I let Halak walk, choosing to roll the dice on Vladar or Swayman, and I came in just under the $83m cap. That was with no cap penalties carried over from Chara (oh, I resigned Chara to a the same deal at $2m).

Long story short, it seems possible but everything would have to fall into place perfectly to do it.

If Backes were to retire, would his entire 6 million (or is the hit 4 million) be available?

Reactions: DKH

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Might have to make a tough decision between Gryz and Krug

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

They want Palmeiri

the question is what goes back ?

Reactions: bbfan419

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If Jason Zucker is our answer I will not be thrilled. Not exactly the physical presence we need. I'd be pretty stoked if we somehow landed Tuch, Meier or Lindholm.
Id take Zucker on my team any day.

Kid can score and IMO he's on a solid contract for what he brings.

Reactions: TCB

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah, I ended up with something similar. By my calculation, with Krug, you can basically afford a 2RW in the $3 million range. If you can trade Moore without getting any salary back, you could get closer to $5 million (since you'd have to replace his roster spot, so you're not savings the full $2.75 million).

I think they're stuck with Backes, but maybe they can retain $2-3 million and not have to pay as much to trade him. That could get you another couple million in space.

I think the problem is that there are so many questions right now.

Of the current roster, you have Bjork, DeBrusk, and Grzelcyk as RFAs that need to be re-signed, plus Chara, Halak, and Krug as UFAs (Nordstrom is an easy let go).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad