Proposal: ALL Bruins rumors/proposals VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would anybody entertain the idea of locking up Byfuglien long term? He is a top defenseman in the league whether some think it or not. I would. I think it will ease the pain of Chara's steady decline.

I would do it. Even if he regressed into a 2nd pairing guy during the contract, you will have Chara and Seids coming off the books and a growing cap. 7 million will be a smaller portion of the cap as that contract goes on.

Chara Buff
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg C. Miller

That looks like a legit group to me.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
As much as I hate to say it, on the subject of Buff....errherm....Eklund seems to believe his 'sauce' (obviously tomato, or ketchup for you yanks) that the Bruins are in on him. *cringe post*

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
I was thinking Fayne could slot in above Seids. But I hear you on the Don and Chiarelli trade not happening.

Fayne was on waivers.They could have grabbed him already had they wanted him.As far as Byfuglien goes,the Jets tried weeks ago to move him to Islanders.So you know who they want to keep.Only issue with him is the cost.He is available.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would do it. Even if he regressed into a 2nd pairing guy during the contract, you will have Chara and Seids coming off the books and a growing cap. 7 million will be a smaller portion of the cap as that contract goes on.

Chara Buff
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg C. Miller

Problem is I think he regresses far further than to a second defenseman during the deal. I think at some point by the middle of the deal he becomes an absolute disaster as a player

A guy who has had massive conditioning problems his whole life is not likely to improve those as he progresses to his 30s, especially after he signs his last contract for an absurd amount of money

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Problem is I think he regresses far further than to a second defenseman during the deal. I think at some point by the middle of the deal he becomes an absolute disaster as a player

A guy who has had massive conditioning problems his whole life is not likely to improve those as he progresses to his 30s, especially after he signs his last contract for an absurd amount of money

I cannot see Buff and Whitesides working well together ;)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

This is all ifs and hindsight though. I'm sure plenty said the same about Chara.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Colorado seems to be going nowhere fast. I can see them selling off Iginla & some other vets & looking to retool. As of now they may be a finalist for Austin Mathews. Wonder if they'd consider moving Erik Johnson? Sweeney can offer a solid package of picks & prospects

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Colorado seems to be going nowhere fast. I can see them selling off Iginla & some other vets & looking to retool. As of now they may be a finalist for Austin Mathews. Wonder if they'd consider moving Erik Johnson? Sweeney can offer a solid package of picks & prospects

I mean, their problem is not enough D, can't see why they would trade off Johnson. If anything, they would be looking to move one of the forwards for a D. Like EDM.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
These next 10 games will help the Sharks decide whether to blow it all up. 1 point in their last six games and these next 10 don't get much easier.

Evolutionary change. GM's will be circling the Sharks for their next feast and Wilson will be in over his head this time around.

I'd be watching this situation very closely.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Chara Buff
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg C. Miller

I wouldn't. Given Buff's past fitness and attitude issues, I could see him regressing into far worse than a 2nd pairing guy. If he shows up to camp 330lbs in year three of a long term contract, he'll be an overpaid third pairing D.

He'd also eat up the cap space for what we really need right now -- a younger #2 or 3 who will ultimately be a *reliable* #1 once Chara exits.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
These next 10 games will help the Sharks decide whether to blow it all up. 1 point in their last six games and these next 10 don't get much easier.

Evolutionary change. GM's will be circling the Sharks for their next feast and Wilson will be in over his head this time around.

Who of anybody would you think Sweeney/ Neely would target if SJ does flop? Burns? Owning the SJ 1st gives Sweeney an advantage.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
If it wasn't for that serious knee injury, Chara would not have fallen this far.

That is arguable but the why is irrelevant, aging is something only a select few can overcome. In the present state of the NHL, players are getting exposed at a younger age than ever. Taking a guy like Buff, who is already beating the odds given his conditioning, not what I'd call a good candidate to beat those odds in a few years.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Who of anybody would you think Sweeney/ Neely would target if SJ does flop? Burns? Owning the SJ 1st gives Sweeney an advantage.

Well, I have to give you this answer:

It all depends on who is pulling the strings in San Jose if they do blow it up.

A new GM (or someone above telling Wilson what to do) will look at it and see that they have one draft pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft in 2016. (no first and no third). They need to replenish their picks. But they do have three seventh rounders!!

Then they have to worry about their cap. They have $60 million tied up for next season with 15 players on the roster and only 23 players in total under contract. So moving contracts may be needed for the Sharks.

Like we saw in Hamilton and Thornton before him (and others around the league I might add) there were GM's that didn't know players were available.

Myself, I wouldn't wait until a name became available, or when it's too late. I'd be opening a channel now to Wilson, if one already hasn't been established.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

More interesting will be does management let Wilson stay at the helm and retool after not winning a cup? He also doesn't have his own first round pick....

Can't see them finishing behind Vancouver either. They are very much in a situation similar to where the Bruins were last year. They have some good pieces and need a retool more than a rebuild. These Couture and Vlasic injuries are huge. I see Marleau wanting out and them begging Thornton to leave by the end of season. Burns will be 50/50?!? He is a weird duck in his personal life and I'd guess he wants to stay in Cali and there isn't much reason to deal him from a retool point.

Id say likely and best scenario is they finish anywhere between 5-8 as the aforementioned scenario takes place. If Jones gets hurt they could plummet further but I won't hope injuries to see them suck and always had a soft spot for SJ following Thornton.

From a far I can't see anybody that SJ will be willing to deal being a good fit for the Bruins.

Guessing NYR - Thornton and Marleau Pitt - Marleau Phil - who aren't they interested in outside chance on Islanders Strome would be a great return and Dallas possibly.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

you think there's anything there that can help the Bruins? (I mean besides their 1st lol)

edit: nevermind, someone beat me to it

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Is Byfuglien playing top pairing minutes for Winnipeg? Only played 21 minutes against Chicago last night.

Myers (26), Trouba (22), and Enstrom (22) all played more.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is Byfuglien playing top pairing minutes for Winnipeg? Only played 21 minutes against Chicago last night.

Myers (26), Trouba (22), and Enstrom (22) all played more.

Personally, I wouldn't be hitting "F5" repeatedly to get updates on Buff to Boston.

But if that's where everyone wants to lead the conversation then so be it. It just seems to be a debate on whether someone (Buff) would be a fit here or not, and what his role would be in the future, is futile, since I have a better chance of winning Lotto Max. ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is all ifs and hindsight though. I'm sure plenty said the same about Chara.

So Buff is now Chara?
I thought Chara was a fitness beast and Buff to be the exact opposite.

I hope/can't see him fitting into Sweeneys' plans, he's decline will start too soon.

I have been following them for awhile and brings entertainment to this season.
Losing Couture again won't help them.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
That is arguable but the why is irrelevant, aging is something only a select few can overcome. In the present state of the NHL, players are getting exposed at a younger age than ever. Taking a guy like Buff, who is already beating the odds given his conditioning, not what I'd call a good candidate to beat those odds in a few years.

I doubt it. He was already showing signs of aging. For how long have his minutes been an issue? Not just last year.

Both are fair arguments. But both can be countered. It's all about the ifs on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad