All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
They also signed Martin. Still their season rest on 1.- Health, 2.- Progression from some of their younger guys to make up for regression from the older ones, and 3.- Jones playing like a #1.

If Jones falters then they're in for another showing like last year.

Good assessment.

My sense is that Joe Pavelski and Couture were as good last year as they are going to get, while the key to their "core" is just older, slower: Thornton, Marleau.

I think their D is weak and that Martin/Jones is not going to solve the problem.

Zac Rinaldo*

sign semin if only to witness the consequent backpedaling on this board if he manages to pot some goals.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I wouldn't get rid of any first pic. Things can unravel pretty quickly. We may tank without wanting to. I'm not thrilled with what's out there to plug that 3-4. On a normal day, nobody would say any of these players are a3-4 player.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Serious question:

If you think the Bruins are in the 7-8 pick without Oduya or Franson in the lineup, where do you think they would end up with one of them in the lineup? How many "extra" wins do you think one of them would add?

That's a good question. I don't think B's are necessarily 7-8. I think with a D add like Franson they are around where they were last year, a marginal playoff team at the deadline. With the present D, we miss the playoffs. Not an optimistic assessment, but I think it's realistic in light of how bad our D was last year, and just lost our #2D.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This post will not be a revelation to anyone.
I know everyone rags on our defence but I am not too worried. It would be nice to land a top 2 or 4 guy to compliment our group but I feel our young guys are ready.
They have experience and need to build on it.

Chara needs to be better than last year.
Ditto for Sieds
McQuaid is a solid 5/6 guy
Krug is best partnered with McQuaid and eats up a lot of PP time.

For the other 2 spots - if we don't acquire one in a trade:
I thought Morrow looked ready last year - so I am guessing he makes the jump.
Trotman, from what I have read seems very close. A lot of people have him penciled in beside Chara.

Of the above 6, 3 have good transitional/foot speed and the old guys need to rely on their experience.

We also have Matt Irwin, Colin Miller and Kevan Miller who will push for a spot.
Matt and Colin have a higher ceiling than 5/6. Kevan - not so much.

What's so bad about this group? I think the competition in camp will raise the level of a few of these guys and it may even make Seids expendable.

Trotman is almost certain to make the team as Jacobs won't pay a guy 800k to play in the AHL. Irwin's skating and defensive play are not up to par for the NHL, which is why his role is mostly shooting the puck on the PP. K.Miller has at least shown that he can be a regular NHL defenseman, albeit a bottom-pairing one. That leaves C. Miller and J. Morrow in the AHL, or traded, which sucks because Morrow should make the team before Trotman, Miller or even McQuaid.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
sign semin if only to witness the consequent backpedaling on this board if he manages to pot some goals.

That won't happen. He was starting to be a punk in Washington, never mind after he left. Lazy player. Selfish.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I wouldn't get rid of any first pic. Things can unravel pretty quickly. We may tank without wanting to. I'm not thrilled with what's out there to plug that 3-4. On a normal day, nobody would say any of these players are a3-4 player.

It would be franchise suicide to trade 1st picks when we're already stuck with multiple 30+ y.o. making big money.

Zac Rinaldo*

Take him to a pub, get him drunk, and "sign" him to an oral contract.

If things go badly, the entire contract can be plausibly denied. :)

1b6260a8f9280e2804a19e896e922419.png

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Buffalo doesn't seem like a good fit at all for Franson. They have Bogosian and Ristolainen on the right side. They also just re-signed Pysyk, another RH shot, to a two year deal at $1.2M. They seem pretty flush on the side of the D.

Dallas could certainly use another proven defenseman. Although I take it most of their PP needs will be taken care of by Klingberg (RH shot). Looking at their still apparent struggles defensively on paper, it's no wonder they are targeting Oduya though.

What other teams are out there? Maybe Pittsburgh a darkhorse?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
BB88;105232887 Dallas with Sharp and Oduya are close to playoffs and better than us said:
With Oduya they might be above us. But their defense is currently atrocious and I don't think Oduya on his own will help that much. Again, that was a rough list. They could definitely end up above us.

So San Jose is better than us now? Hhmmmm, I don't agree. In fact I feel there are a few other teams (Detroit, Ottawa, Colorado to name 3 more) who will also be under us at the end - even if we don't do anything else.

I am good with the rest of your list.

I'm torn on San Jose. I think they got better than last season but still have a lot issues. Wouldn't be surprised if they were below us. I don't think Colorado or Detroit will be worse than us. Ottawa I'm not sure but as we currently stand I wouldn't bet on us finishing above Ottawa.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's a good question. I don't think B's are necessarily 7-8. I think with a D add like Franson they are around where they were last year, a marginal playoff team at the deadline. With the present D, we miss the playoffs. Not an optimistic assessment, but I think it's realistic in light of how bad our D was last year, and just lost our #2D.

I found the play from our forwards far worse than that from a D who was like one big band-aid job all season

jokerboysmith

May 5, 2003
Planet Nebula
Visit site
Not sure about Franson anymore...he is holding out for term and or dollars.
Would rather Sweeney tried for Ehrhoff on a 1 or 2 year max contract at less dollars, leaves some flexibility with the cap.
Seidenberg and Ehrhoff might be a decent second pairing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I found the play from our forwards far worse than that from a D who was like one big band-aid job all season

My biggest problem with the team last year was that 75% of the time or more, they simply looked like they were going through the motions.

Hopefully, some new blood will inject some enthusiasm and hustle into the lineup and at least make them be a team that you want to see play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad