Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
My worry about Chara this year is that he'll run out of gas again. It's still early in the year and he is being used quite a lot but we don't have anyone close to being a LD first pairing guy. I would like to see us get 2 first pairing players, one for each side, then move both he and Carlo to the second pairing. That would cut their minutes plus reduce the quality of the opposition they play against making it easier on the rookie.

Good idea, why hasn't Sweeney thought of that? Get 2 top line studs and bump Chara/ Carlo to 2nd pairing.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Good idea, why hasn't Sweeney thought of that? Get 2 top line studs and bump Chara/ Carlo to 2nd pairing.

I like it. But while he's at it, Sweeney should go after 2 30 goal scoring wingers. One for each side.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That's just not something you can do. You don't empty the cupboard like that for a player like Trouba I'm sorry. If Krug keeps struggling and once Chara is done you are back to square one, only now would be on the left side.

Having no prospects has left us in the position we are today, Sweeney would be dumb to put himself in the position he so desperately is trying to turn around.

BP, I've heard this argument before but it conflicts directly with what other here are telling me. I'll ask you first but here are the two thoughts:

1. Bruins prospect pool is overflowing with talent that we should not part with.
2. Trading two prospects depletes the prospect pool.

It's a conflict of ideas. If I say the cupboard has:

McAvoy Pj3 G0 A2 Pts2 -1 NCAA
Frederic Pj4 G2 A4 Pts6 +2 NCAA
Lindgren Pj2 G0 A0 Pts0 +3 NCAA
Koppanen Pj11 G7 A9 Pts16 +5 Jr A
Clarke Pj4 G0 A0 Pts0 -2 NCAA
Steen Pj8 G1 A0 Pts1 0 SHL
Zboril Pj6 G2 A3 Pts5 +4 CHL
Debrusk Pj3 G0 A1 Pts1 -1 AHL
Senyshyn Pj5 G4 A0 Pts4 0 CHL
JFK Pj3 G1 A2 Pts3 0 NCAA
Lauzon Pj2 G1 A2 Pts3 +1 CHL
Gabrielle Pj6 G5 A4 Pts9 0 CHL
Hugues Pj4 G1 A3 Pts4 -9 NCAA
Becker Pj7 G2 A1 Pts3 -7 USHL
Bjork Pj4 G5 A5 Pts10 +3 NCAA
Johanssen Pj7 G0 A2 Pts2 -5 SHL
Arnesson Pj3 G0 A1 Pts1 +1 AHL
Fitzgerald Pj4 G1 A2 Pts3 +1 NCAA
Blidh Pj3 G0 A1 Pts1 +1 AHL

...then how is moving 2 of them depleting it?

If that is the case then the cupboard is indeed still bare, the drafting is poor and the Bruins only have two prospects.

So, in your opinion, how many prospects do we have in your version of the cupboard? (Again, not an attack but rather a gauge as to where you see this prospect pool.)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
My worry about Chara this year is that he'll run out of gas again. It's still early in the year and he is being used quite a lot but we don't have anyone close to being a LD first pairing guy. I would like to see us get 2 first pairing players, one for each side, then move both he and Carlo to the second pairing. That would cut their minutes plus reduce the quality of the opposition they play against making it easier on the rookie.

Good partners and chemistry has a way of making each other better. Great case in point is Chara - Carlo. They are making each other look better. I believe a player like Trouba makes Krug that much better and they take over the top pairing. I know people shudder at the thought of Krug on the top pairing but chemistry and pairings go a long way.

Get the perfect partner for Krug and you get your Chara - Carlo as the second pairing.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I feel like it's a little early to predict that Rask could pull a Price and carry us alone to the playoffs but he is playing amazing right now. Likely the best stretch of games in his entire career with the weakest D-core in front of him.

I'm thinking instead of all the Trouba/Shatty/Fowler talk, we focus on getting some guys for Krejci to play with. When Backes is back, we need to evoke the pairings that we've come to know from the offense, so my best crack is:

Marshy-Bergy-XXX
XXX- Krejci-Pasta
XXX-Spooner-Backes
Schaller-Moore-XXXX

We are stuck with Beleskey and his contract so we need him to be on with Krejci/Spooner. I like a Beleskey-Spooner-Backes line. I think they can chip in for some serious points with some favorable d-matchups. Pasta has to go to Krejci's line or we're wasting Krejci. Once Vatrano is back, I think we stick him with Bergy/Marshy. Then I think we're a top 9 forward short as I don't think Heinen/Czarnik are ready for top 9 duties. Send them down and let them light it up in the AHL. Stick Hayes/Nash on the 4th, whoever plays better. Who could we target for a top 9 forward on the cheap:

JVR-Tor
Skinner-Car
Jenner-CLB
Neal-Preds

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
BP, I've heard this argument before but it conflicts directly with what other here are telling me. I'll ask you first but here are the two thoughts:

1. Bruins prospect pool is overflowing with talent that we should not part with.

If that is the case then the cupboard is indeed still bare, the drafting is poor and the Bruins only have two prospects.

So, in your opinion, how many prospects do we have in your version of the cupboard? (Again, not an attack but rather a gauge as to where you see this prospect pool.)

Agree CP.

This team has enough in the system to afford to move 2-3 young assets, heck even 4 if it gets the deal done for the right guy, provided they are the right assets (i.e. not McAvoy) in a package to bring back a player who can play right now like a Trouba.

Not every prospect will make the show. But at the same time, there is only so much room in the line-up as well.

You could argue that moving forward, especially up front, there won't be enough room even as it stands today.

Heck, they got 37/42/46/63 all locked up at a minimum 5 years. That's 1/3 your forward line-up right there. Not to mention Pastrnak whose likely to be extended this summer.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I feel like it's a little early to predict that Rask could pull a Price and carry us alone to the playoffs but he is playing amazing right now. Likely the best stretch of games in his entire career with the weakest D-core in front of him.

I'm thinking instead of all the Trouba/Shatty/Fowler talk, we focus on getting some guys for Krejci to play with. When Backes is back, we need to evoke the pairings that we've come to know from the offense, so my best crack is:

Marshy-Bergy-XXX
XXX- Krejci-Pasta
XXX-Spooner-Backes
Schaller-Moore-XXXX

We are stuck with Beleskey and his contract so we need him to be on with Krejci/Spooner. I like a Beleskey-Spooner-Backes line. I think they can chip in for some serious points with some favorable d-matchups. Pasta has to go to Krejci's line or we're wasting Krejci. Once Vatrano is back, I think we stick him with Bergy/Marshy. Then I think we're a top 9 forward short as I don't think Heinen/Czarnik are ready for top 9 duties. Send them down and let them light it up in the AHL. Stick Hayes/Nash on the 4th, whoever plays better. Who could we target for a top 9 forward on the cheap:

JVR-Tor
Skinner-Car
Jenner-CLB
Neal-Preds

I think Beleskey or Backes goes with Krejci and Pastrnak. The other stays with Spooner and one of the rookies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Agree CP.

This team has enough in the system to afford to move 2-3 young assets, heck even 4 if it gets the deal done for the right guy, provided they are the right assets (i.e. not McAvoy) in a package to bring back a player who can play right now like a Trouba.

Not every prospect will make the show. But at the same time, there is only so much room in the line-up as well.

You could argue that moving forward, especially up front, there won't be enough room even as it stands today.

Heck, they got 37/42/46/63 all locked up at a minimum 5 years. That's 1/3 your forward line-up right there. Not to mention Pastrnak whose likely to be extended this summer.

See BD, I am with you. I choose to buy into the philosophy that Sweeney has done a great job drafting prospects in the later rounds and now has a glut of talent to choose from to move for tangible assets.

If you told me five of the guys above would be gone except for McAvoy and in return the Bruins would have a top pairing defenseman and a third line winger that scores 20 goals I'd be more than happy with the moves Sweeney made.

If anything came from the loss of two playoff rounds, Lucic, Hamilton and Eriksson walking away it is a prospect pool deep enough to dip into to acquire players needed today to end the playoff drought while still developing the core and giving prospects (Carlo, O'Gara, Heinen, Czarnik, Pastrnak, Vatrano) a chance to crack the roster.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Expectations are so high with Vatrano.
Not sure he's a top 6 yet ?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
See BD, I am with you. I choose to buy into the philosophy that Sweeney has done a great job drafting prospects in the later rounds and now has a glut of talent to choose from to move for tangible assets.

If you told me five of the guys above would be gone except for McAvoy and in return the Bruins would have a top pairing defenseman and a third line winger that scores 20 goals I'd be more than happy with the moves Sweeney made.

If anything came from the loss of two playoff rounds, Lucic, Hamilton and Eriksson walking away it is a prospect pool deep enough to dip into to acquire players needed today to end the playoff drought while still developing the core and giving prospects (Carlo, O'Gara, Heinen, Czarnik, Pastrnak, Vatrano) a chance to crack the roster.

I'm glad you brought those guys up. Because it only re-enforces the fact Boston is deep enough it appears long term to be able to part with a package of young assets and not feel the pain.

Carlo has made it so it appears.

Colin Miller has made strides towards a full-time gig. Rob O'Gara looks like he has at least an NHL future.

McAvoy is arguably Boston's best non-pro prospect.

Czarnik appears to have NHL potential. Vatrano based on last year should be a very good player. Acciari gets over-looked but is still young.

Heinen just got a nice cup of coffee and it would be surprising if he's not an NHL player at some point. Kuraly is still here with Heinen demoted and shows the management and the coaching staff like him, impressive for a 1st year pro.

Who knows what the future holds for Spooner and Morrow.

And I haven't even touch on a lot of the Providence guys or the guys in NCAA/CHL/Europe outside of McAvoy.

Bruins have more than enough darts to throw at the dartboard, they are going to hit some bulls-eyes, that they can afford to part with a few of those darts.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Expectations are so high with Vatrano.
Not sure he's a top 6 yet ?

I agree, I love his shot release and he is very smart about finding seems to get open and has a nice physical component but he isn't fast and is still very unproven. A pure shooter like him with Krecji and Backes should work well though but there have been a lot of AHL superstars who never made it, I think counting on a guy with less than 40 regular season NHL games to be in your top 6 is stretching things.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Guys I highlighted would have to command a very high price to obtain, no one on that list is untouchable. If any of them are deemed key to acquiring an established top 2 D with a controllable contract you move them yesterday. Team has a young NHL base right now at forward and for the foreseeable future, a top end Defenseman is still desperately needed, regardless of well Carlo looks.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
I agree, I love his shot release and he is very smart about finding seems to get open and has a nice physical component but he isn't fast and is still very unproven. A pure shooter like him with Krecji and Backes should work well though but there have been a lot of AHL superstars who never made it, I think counting on a guy with less than 40 regular season NHL games to be in your top 6 is stretching things.

I agree with this. I don't think he's another AHL superstar who can't hack it in the NHL, but he isn't going to be on Krejci's wing right after he comes back either. They'll probably have him play in the AHL for a few weeks to get back up to speed and then put him on the third line to start.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

I don't know that is overflowing with talent, let's hope it is. But you didn't say, 'let's move 2 of the 20 prospects we have', you said let's move our 2 top ld prospects. It's not exactly the same thing right?
When I say empty the cupboard I'm referring especifically to the d prospects(I should have said that). Mainly because we are in a transition phase, I'd say, and it's only my opinion, that we will need all the prospects we can get to build a good enough defense in the next few Years, like we know not all will pan out.

Now, I'm all for Trouba, I just don't think you should trade your 2 top ld prospects when you'd probably have a completely filled out right side, Trouba is asking for a trade for this exact issue. I would trade forward prospects much faster btw.
And I don't think Winnipeg is in a situation to ask for the world(which would be your proposal imo). Maybe you think we should go all in with a proposal that blows them away, I just don't think Trouba is a player you do that, especially in our current situation. It's not like he's gonna put us over the top, imo.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The eye test told you that Griffith was an AHL superstar, Vatrano looks like something different. Whether that's an offensive 3rd liner who needs to add a defensive element to his game or a 30 goal guy or somewhere in the middle, who knows. But I'd bet top 6.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
In regards to the whole Trouba/Carlo etc etc rumour.

I personally don't think Carlo is/should be untouchable, and wouldn't hang up the phone over the Carlo ask, but I think Carlo plus a reasonably valuable asset in Spooner AND a 1st on top of it is way overpayment in total.

Carlo and a top 10 or 15 protected 1st, I'd think about it. Spooner/1st/lesser prospect, sure. But for me those 3 assets packaged are too much (sounds like Sweeney and Co have the same outlook).

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't know that is overflowing with talent, let's hope it is. But you didn't say, 'let's move 2 of the 20 prospects we have', you said let's move our 2 top ld prospects. It's not exactly the same thing right?
When I say empty the cupboard I'm referring especifically to the d prospects(I should have said that). Mainly because we are in a transition phase, I'd say, and it's only my opinion, that we will need all the prospects we can get to build a good enough defense in the next few Years, like we know not all will pan out.

Now, I'm all for Trouba, I just don't think you should trade your 2 top ld prospects when you'd probably have a completely filled out right side, Trouba is asking for a trade for this exact issue. I would trade forward prospects much faster btw.
And I don't think Winnipeg is in a situation to ask for the world(which would be your proposal imo). Maybe you think we should go all in with a proposal that blows them away, I just don't think Trouba is a player you do that, especially in our current situation. It's not like he's gonna put us over the top, imo.

I think it puts you over the top. May not be popular to say that, but it's how I feel.

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo
Liles - K. Miller

****. Looks pretty nice to me. Carlo has put us in this curious place where we may no longer NEED that top four guy... But to get one would take our defense from passable, to pretty stinkin good.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it puts you over the top. May not be popular to say that, but it's how I feel.

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo
Liles - K. Miller

****. Looks pretty nice to me. Carlo has put us in this curious place where we may no longer NEED that top four guy... But to get one would take our defense from passable, to pretty stinkin good.

I think that's a LEGIT top 4. If it takes a McAvoy to do it, do you pull the trigger?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Think Bruins would need to move McQuaid to open up enough cap space for Trouba around the same 5.25-5.4 his peers are getting

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I think that's a LEGIT top 4. If it takes a McAvoy to do it, do you pull the trigger?

Can't think just short term. ... Chara most likely is gone in 2 - 4 years. Then what is left is Krug, Carlo, Trouba.
Personally would rather have that plus McAvoy. Would cover the next 8 - 10 years. Plus hopefully one or two of the LH D prospects, not used in the trade, exceed expectations and fill in around Krug.

So need to find another way to acquire Trouba. (I know I'm greedy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad