Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I believe this rumor was already mentioned in the other rumors/proposals thread, but why not mention it again for discussion sake:
The question is, what return would satisfy Bruins general manager Don Sweeney?

Realistically, a player of Spooner's ilk could net a serviceable veteran, or a young, third line forward or a fifth or sixth defenseman.

The next question is, which team would be a candidate to be a trading partner with Sweeney?

Two teams that immediately come to mind are the New York Islanders and the Colorado Avalanche. Neither team is enjoying the kind of season that was expected and ironically (not really), each team has spent the last several weeks scouting Bruins games at TD Garden and when Boston has been on the road.

Other Eastern Conference teams have scouted the Bruins but it customary for teams within the same conference to keep an eye on each other, not to mention, those are teams that are at, or near, the top of the conference and are not actively seeking a trade.

According to those who are in the know, the handwriting is on the wall for Spooner and he knows it. It is just a matter of when will he leave Boston and whose uniform will he wear when it is all said and done.
To be clear, Shawn Hutcheon is speculating that the Islanders and Avalanche could be interested and not that those two teams are interested. In my opinion, I think the Avalanche could be a fit because of the rumors that they are thinking of changing up their core and possibly deal Duchene for a top-pairing defenseman so Spooner would make sense to target if they believe Spooner can be a #2C behind MacKinnon. I'm not sure who the Bruins would want in return from the Avalanche or who on the Avalanche is available. We do know from rumors about a month ago that the Bruins were looking to package Spooner for a top 6 winger. What team does everyone here believe could be a potential trade partner for the Bruins in a trade involving Spooner? What return would you be looking for? Do you think the Bruins should hold on to Spooner?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cracks me up unless the Bruins aren't the odds on favorites to win the Stanley Cup they want the team blown up

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Run away.

2 more years at 4.5 million a year. No way.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of cap magic that could be used to get him at a fraction of the cost. He's a bad starter but would be a good backup and an upgrade over Khudobin (as much as it pains me to say because I like Dobby).

Guessing the Isles won't want to retain salary for him. Does he get paid AHL money if he clears waivers or do they still have to pay him his NHL salary?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm wondering if there's some kind of cap magic that could be used to get him at a fraction of the cost. He's a bad starter but would be a good backup and an upgrade over Khudobin (as much as it pains me to say because I like Dobby).

Guessing the Isles won't want to retain salary for him. Does he get paid AHL money if he clears waivers or do they still have to pay him his NHL salary?

Unless it is a two-way deal, I am pretty sure they are on the hook for his NHL salary- I would guess that is one of the big reasons Hayes hasn't been waived and sent down.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I know you asked me on Twitter, but I'll respond here as well.

If Halak was on his last year of his contract, I'd consider it seriously. Since the cap is calculated daily, and half the season is almost gone, half his cap hit would count towards the Bruins and the other half towards the NYI.

Problem is, that second year and the only way to reduce that second year is to trade for him (as opposed to claiming him) and having the Islanders retain salary.

Sometimes, players are put on waivers to gauge interest, and that might be the case here. It's possible the Isles want to see if anyone is interested and are willing to retain.

A personal no thanks from me though.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

So you're saying we should trade something/somebody for him and have them retain salary? Not sure why either team would do that.

Edit: Dom already explained it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The crazy thing is... if healthy... And on our airtight team... my belief is halak puts up great numbers. I could easily see halak looking like a second coming of regie lemelin or manny fernandez

That contract though is killer. At the very least we need them to take Jimmy hayes but even that's not enough

Hayes, khubodin, and a conditional pick based on wins maybe?

We pay an extra 1.5 mill for our backup but we get a much better backup. And once he's rehabilitated he might have trade value next year if McIntyre is ready to replace him.

Waivers no... but trade maybe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The crazy thing is... if healthy... And on our airtight team... my belief is halak puts up great numbers. I could easily see halak looking like a second coming of regie lemelin or manny fernandez

That contract though is killer. At the very least we need them to take Jimmy hayes but even that's not enough

Hayes, khubodin, and a conditional pick based on wins maybe?

We pay an extra 1.5 mill for our backup but we get a much better backup. And once he's rehabilitated he might have trade value next year if McIntyre is ready to replace him.

Waivers no... but trade maybe

Shane McIntyre

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Looking at the trade board, Eklund also says the Bruins are one of a few teams talking to Winnipeg about Trouba. There isn't much in the rumor mill so if anything, it looks like Eklund is looking for those clicks.

Just curious, but at what point did Eklund become a reliable source? Several years ago on these boards it was prohibited (heavily discouraged?) to bring up his "rumours" as they were all B.S. Not knocking him now if things have changed, but just wondering.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Just curious, but at what point did Eklund become a reliable source? Several years ago on these boards it was prohibited (heavily discouraged?) to bring up his "rumours" as they were all B.S. Not knocking him now if things have changed, but just wondering.
I still don't believe anything he puts out there. I've equated some of his rumors in the past as him taping teams names on a dart board and him throwing darts to see which team(s) his darts land on to make a rumor about or even him picking teams out of a hat and tying those teams to players on the rumor mill. I think for someone to be considered a source on this website, one would need to be verified by the moderators and that individual also having his/her sources verified which Eklund may have. I'm definitely sure a moderator or someone that knows more about this kind of stuff can provide a more accurate explanation.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I reeeeeaaaaallllly hope the Bruins don't trade Spooner.

I see the flaws and I understand the way they're handling him, but I think he's going to emerge from this a heckuva player. Talented and competitive.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Could be a major mistake if they move Spooner. Our history of shipping out talent is not in the Bruins favor. Bad trades and letting talent walk out the door.

Smith for Hayes
Loui for nothing
Soderberg for a 6th
Seguin for Morrow

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
But they'll have to pay the new coach. So they'll only save if they sign a lower echelon guy, say a new entrant or a guy like Cassidy (just an example).

OK, I'll explain it in simpler terms:
1. Fire current coach. No savings
2. Hire new coach. More money spent
3. Old coach signs with new team. Money saved.

Hope you understand this. I'm not advocating CJ getting fired. Never have. Just predicting it.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016

I see the flaws and I understand the way they're handling him, but I think he's going to emerge from this a heckuva player. Talented and competitive.

I would agree, but then again if you dont want to use the kid in his natural position to take advantage of his passing skills.....Then trade him. Biggest mistake Julien has mad this season is not having him as the 3rd center on this team in my opinion.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would agree, but then again if you dont want to use the kid in his natural position to take advantage of his passing skills.....Then trade him. Biggest mistake Julien has mad this season is not having him as the 3rd center on this team in my opinion.

So your saying guys can't take advantage of their passing skills while playing the wing?

Do tell. :shakehead

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'm in the same place I was with Spooner before his recent run.

You don't give him away by any means. But for the right deal, you move him.

Emphasis on the right deal. Which likely isn't coming so he stays. And if he stays and he can put up decent numbers (say 0.75 PPG), then it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad