Aug 2, 2005
Boston 2016 1st
Boston 2017 1st
Joe Morrow
Kelly (for cap)

for

Edler

Pros:
Edler has experience playing on both sides.
He is 29 and signed for 3 more years at 5 million. Thats a solid term and a solid affordable cap hit.
He can move the puck, and skate, but also is capable of playing against top lines on the top pairing (with Chara for instance)
Is the right age to act as a bridge for our younger D

Cons:
Expensive in terms of assets
Soft
A Cancuck
Isn't a true RHD

Chara Edler
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg CMiller

2x 1st rounders for Alex Edler? AND Morrow. Subtract a 1st and maybe it's a fair deal. 2 first is a severe overpayment. 2x 1st rounders is Shattenkirk territory. Even Hamilton couldn't get back 2x 1st round picks, and he's several years younger than Edler.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not great at these, but IMO that's a package you offer for Shattenkirk or better, not Edler.

You won't get #1/2D's early in their prime with 2 1sts.

But I don't like that for Edler.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
2x 1st rounders for Alex Edler? AND Morrow. Subtract a 1st and maybe it's a fair deal. 2 first is a severe overpayment. 2x 1st rounders is Shattenkirk territory. Even Hamilton couldn't get back 2x 1st round picks, and he's several years younger than Edler.

Edler is also far superior to Hamilton and on a cheaper contract. You could go Bos 1st, Edm 2nd and Morrow, but I don't think that gets Vancouver to move a top pairing D in his prime on a good contract.

Morrow, to me, maxes out as a #4. He can move the puck, but he doesn't have great offensive instincts and his size for defending is only OK. Morrow looks good skating, but he has barely outscored Zach Trotman in Providence. I think he maxes out as a better Matt Bartkowski. If you have Edler, and you have a lot of LHD in the system, where does Morrow fit?

With SJs first and two seconds, including EDMs which should be very early, I don't think the Bruins would miss their own 1st, to be honest. At some point you will have too many prospects and not enough places to play them and develop them.

I don't love Edler per say. But he does check off a lot of check boxes and is someone that actually could be had and be had without worrying about EDM swooping in and offering RNH and taking him away from us.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Boston 2016 1st
Boston 2017 1st
Joe Morrow
Kelly (for cap)

for

Edler

Pros:
He is 29 and signed for 3 more years at 5 million. Thats a solid term and a solid affordable cap hit.
He can move the puck, and skate, but also is capable of playing against top lines on the top pairing (with Chara for instance)

Cons:
Soft
A Cancuck
Isn't a true RHD

Chara Edler
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg CMiller

Way too much. Bos 1st 2016 (lottery protected), Morrow, Kelly and mid pick/prospect is about right. Edler is lh, so I cant' see him and Chara together:

Chara - C.Miller
Edler - Seidenberg
Krug - McQuaid

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
If you're putting two 1st round picks on the table, I'd want more than Alex Edler for 2.5 seasons. I think that's the way you have to look at it. That's two big assets. Would much rather target a younger defenseman in the 21-25 range that could realistically be a core piece on the back end for 7 or 8 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brodin is someone I'd like Sweeney to go after, they need offense, he'd replace Seids for 10 years potentially, this days shutdown D with strong skating/passing and signed at 4.16M for 5 more years after this, #2/3D.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Boston 2016 1st
Boston 2017 1st
Joe Morrow
Kelly (for cap)

for

Edler

Way way too much for Edler. Benning would accept that deal in a heartbeat. Edler has really tailed off offensively the last few years and is a combined -36 ( including a scary -39 in 2013-14 ) over the last 4 seasons. I see Edler play a lot for the local team and I don't think he would be a good fit on the Bruins and certainly not at that price. If Sweeney pulled off that deal it would set back the rebuilding process by at least 2 or 3 years. :thumbd:

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Ok so what teams do we see as sellers at the deadline. Then take those teams and eliminate their #1 defenseman. Then delete their Defensemen that don't fit what the bruins are looking for. Then eliminate whos affordable. Really no one left.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Boston 2016 1st
Boston 2017 1st
Joe Morrow
Kelly (for cap)

for

Edler

Pros:

Cons:
Soft
A Cancuck
Isn't a true RHD

Chara Edler
Krug McQuaid
Seidenberg CMiller
That is a ridiculous overpayment for Edler.
Edler is not even that good anyway.

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010
Ok so what teams do we see as sellers at the deadline. Then take those teams and eliminate their #1 defenseman. Then delete their Defensemen that don't fit what the bruins are looking for. Then eliminate whos affordable. Really no one left.

Don't forget, you also have to eliminate the teams that aren't looking for futures when they deal. There are many teams, like Edmonton for instance, looking to turn extra forwards into defense, but the last thing they want or need is more picks.

The teams in the hunt or on the cusp are looking for elite players back for their own elite players. (Seth Jones for RyJo for instance). Unless Boston can find a team dumb enough to spend their elite currency on spare parts and futures (like the Bruins did with Seguin and Hamilton), then they are really looking for old teams that need to rebuild.

The Bruins best chips right now are futures and picks, so the teams who might want to deal with Boston are probably too old or too stale and need futures to help turn over the roster. Teams that are in "win now" and teams that have already turned their roster over are not great partners for the Bruins. So, I believe we are really looking at Vancouver, Toronto, Carolina, Philly, New Jersey, San Jose as the teams most likely to consider trades of first rounders for their talent. Now, look at how many of those teams are not great fits for what we need. It's pretty depressing...

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
In the last proposal thread, DKH mentioned that JFJ scouted the Jets - Predators game last Thursday. Since we are looking for defensemen, my best guess would be looking at defenseman on the Jets the Bruins would target.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Brodin is someone I'd like Sweeney to go after, they need offense, he'd replace Seids for 10 years potentially, this days shutdown D with strong skating/passing and signed at 4.16M for 5 more years after this, #2/3D.

I do find your Brodin proposals on the main board interesting.

Spooner + 1st for Brodin + something or other.

Brodin can play the right side, he is a new age defensive defenseman, and he is Spooner's age. He can move the puck and he is one of the few high minute D in the NHL who actually gets harder zone starts than Chara.

The con is that he is literally no offense. Like Adam McQuaid has more points in fewer games and less ice time levels of offense. It also means the Bruins go from having one of the very best top 3 centers to having ????? as their 3rd line center. Spooner to Talbot/Kemp is a HUGE downgrade. A top 30 scoring center to an AHLer. Ugh. And it would probably expose our lack of depth at wing. If Koko had been showing anything...

Still though, its a tempting thing.

I wonder if you could expand to Eriksson + Spooner + EDM 2nd for Brodin + Coyle?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do find your Brodin proposals on the main board interesting.

Spooner + 1st for Brodin + something or other.

Brodin can play the right side, he is a new age defensive defenseman, and he is Spooner's age. He can move the puck and he is one of the few high minute D in the NHL who actually gets harder zone starts than Chara.

The con is that he is literally no offense. Like Adam McQuaid has more points in fewer games and less ice time levels of offense. It also means the Bruins go from having one of the very best top 3 centers to having ????? as their 3rd line center. Spooner to Talbot/Kemp is a HUGE downgrade. A top 30 scoring center to an AHLer. Ugh. And it would probably expose our lack of depth at wing. If Koko had been showing anything...

Still though, its a tempting thing.

I wonder if you could expand to Eriksson + Spooner + EDM 2nd for Brodin + Coyle?

Like I said this trade would be longterm trade, get a prime Seids replacement and someone who could honestly limit Charas minutes and give him a chance to play at higher level for longer.
Getting a #3C for this season if must is much easier than finding someone of Brodins level.
We have our top6C's signed longterm which makes this easier.

We'd also have a young u25y D-group developing with Brodin-Krug-Colin in which Krug and Colin bring up the offense like as you say Brodin hasn't, but he has around 25 point potential with top level D-game and strong puck moving/skating.
Then maybe, hopefully next year have
Brodin-Colin
Krug-Carlo /x
Chara and MQuaid(Floridas style) no 3rd pairings, all play 18-22mins per night, penalty kill with Chara-McQuaid, Brodin-Carlo.

Would also be a cheap top6 allowing to spend cap towards forwards.

5 1/2years left at 4.16M.
I've been a fan of Brodins game since he won a roster spot in Minny.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Like I said this trade would be longterm trade, get a prime Seids replacement and someone who could honestly limit Charas minutes and give him a chance to play at higher level for longer.
Getting a #3C for this season if must is much easier than finding someone of Brodins level.
We have our top6C's signed longterm which makes this easier.

We'd also have a young u25y D-group developing with Brodin-Krug-Colin in which Krug and Colin bring up the offense like as you say Brodin hasn't, but he has around 25 point potential with top level D-game and strong puck moving/skating.
Then maybe, hopefully next year have
Brodin-Colin
Krug-Carlo /x
Chara and MQuaid(Floridas style) no 3rd pairings, all play 18-22mins per night, penalty kill with Chara-McQuaid, Brodin-Carlo.

Would also be a cheap top6 allowing to spend cap towards forwards.

5 1/2years left at 4.16M.
I've been a fan of Brodins game since he won a roster spot in Minny.

I'm buying what you are selling if we can get a GOOD short term #3C that can bridge to one of the young prospects, but I think we might underestimate how much the PP will suffer without Spooner on that half wall. Bergeron, Krejci, Krug, Eriksson have all been part of the PP before, and it wasn't like this...

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The fascination with Yandle has always boggled my mind. Everyone who loves the guy has not watched him play for awhile. He really hasn't been all that good for years. The Coyotes absolutely fleeced the Rangers in that deal.

the team needs a defensemen but giving up Eriksson for one, and it being of the Yandle variety is a backward step.

It's truly amazing. I've never liked the guy. He's Joe flip'n Corvo.

And every time I see him play, most recently a few games ago, my feeling is only strengthened.

He's a offensive defenseman with the classic defensive short-comings.

For years people just ignored it because "he plays in ARZ."

I don't care how bad the team is, you can't be a -123 for the season and have a clue defensively. You're part of the problem.

We got rid of Hamilton, we don't need to bring back the same problem.

We have plenty of C. Millers, Morrows, etc. We need someone who can play defense and not be a problem.

Playing Seidenberg with one of these problem children is what we need to fix. The days of Chara and Seidenberg covering for young guys are over - now they need help to be their best.

Play them together...and bring in a guy to anchor the 2nd pair.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm buying what you are selling if we can get a GOOD short term #3C that can bridge to one of the young prospects, but I think we might underestimate how much the PP will suffer without Spooner on that half wall. Bergeron, Krejci, Krug, Eriksson have all been part of the PP before, and it wasn't like this...

True, and I get that, but I don't consider us contenders this year so I'm willing to take that loss for this season, and the pp has looked pretty nice with Colin on point.

I'm trying to look at the team for 5+ years potentially, how to have a longterm contender and not just how it affects this season, would be huge if we could replace prime Seids and fit into Sweeneys style, and build from the blueline up.
They take the longest to develop and Krug and Brodin would be in their early prime bridging that Chara- prospects age difference.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Edler is also far superior to Hamilton and on a cheaper contract. You could go Bos 1st, Edm 2nd and Morrow, but I don't think that gets Vancouver to move a top pairing D in his prime on a good contract.

Morrow, to me, maxes out as a #4. He can move the puck, but he doesn't have great offensive instincts and his size for defending is only OK. Morrow looks good skating, but he has barely outscored Zach Trotman in Providence. I think he maxes out as a better Matt Bartkowski. If you have Edler, and you have a lot of LHD in the system, where does Morrow fit?

With SJs first and two seconds, including EDMs which should be very early, I don't think the Bruins would miss their own 1st, to be honest. At some point you will have too many prospects and not enough places to play them and develop them.

I don't love Edler per say. But he does check off a lot of check boxes and is someone that actually could be had and be had without worrying about EDM swooping in and offering RNH and taking him away from us.

Edler even if he is superior to Hamilton (perhaps today, Hamilton certainly has higher upside) is debatable whether he is a top pairing D.

Now if your talking one 1st rounder (Non SJ), and perhaps Morrow, and that's not too bad. I agree he likely maxes out as a No.4, but I'd gladly take that for Morrow if he became a No.4.

Your right if you bring in Edler there probably doesn't leave much room for Morrow.
Sounds about fair. I'd even throw in a mid-to-low range prospect out of Providence, maybe someone who needs a change of scenery (Camara perhaps?) that's about it.

So Non SJ 1st + Morrow + Camara and that's a fair deal. It's the additional 1st rounder that puts the proposal in over-payment territory. Sounds like something Chiarelli would do.

In all honesty if Edmonton would offer up RNH for Edler the Canucks should take that deal immediately and run.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Edler even if he is superior to Hamilton (perhaps today, Hamilton certainly has higher upside) is debatable whether he is a top pairing D.

Now if your talking one 1st rounder (Non SJ), and perhaps Morrow, and that's not too bad. I agree he likely maxes out as a No.4, but I'd gladly take that for Morrow if he became a No.4.

Your right if you bring in Edler there probably doesn't leave much room for Morrow.
Sounds about fair. I'd even throw in a mid-to-low range prospect out of Providence, maybe someone who needs a change of scenery (Camara perhaps?) that's about it.

So Non SJ 1st + Morrow + Camara and that's a fair deal. It's the additional 1st rounder that puts the proposal in over-payment territory. Sounds like something Chiarelli would do.

In all honesty if Edmonton would offer up RNH for Edler the Canucks should take that deal immediately and run.

To me, first plus Morrow is the kind of package I'm hoping to get for Loui, if he is moved. 3.5 years of a fairly signed Edler who is clearly one if the top 60 D in hockey would cost something significantly more than that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To me, first plus Morrow is the kind of package I'm hoping to get for Loui, if he is moved. 3.5 years of a fairly signed Edler who is clearly one if the top 60 D in hockey would cost something significantly more than that.

Even if Edler is one of the Top 60 D, if it cost significantly more (i.e. an additional 1st) than a 1st + Morrow + a mid-range prospect to get him then the Bruins should just say no.

He's a quality defender, don't get me wrong, but he's not a game-breaker or someone I would build a D around to bridge the gap from Chara to the young D Boston has coming up in the system. To me he's what Seidenberg was 4-5 years ago, a guy who can play in a top-pair and be effective, but a complimentary piece all the same. If he was on say a Chicago, Nashville, or St. Louis, he'd be a No.3 guy. The list of teams where he'd be the No.1 D-man is fairly short.

Like a few of said here, if your coughing up two 1st rounders I want someone along the lines of a Shattenkirk or on that level. At least someone better than Edler, two 1st rounders and Bruins better be getting back a game-breaking D-man.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Loui's going to be rather expensive to resign given the year he's having. I think unless we're willing to trade marchand Loui is out of the question. he should be traded as soon as possible to gain whatver haul he can get us. hopefully some assets we can use to gain a top pairing RH dman via trade at the draft. I can see DS moving the remaining pieces of the seguin deal (loui/morrow). I think Loui gets us a nice return and then we can use some of his money and the others coming off the books to look for a legit top pairing dman via trade or FA and a RW.

seids needs to go now or immediatley in the offseason, cap his is decent and if they can't make a trade work with someone like Dallas who could use him for a playoff run they should move him for picks at the draft. we have a lot of serviceable Dmen that are clearly going to get snagged if we run them through waivers but we need to clear some of the log jam if we want to bring in a Rh and maybe LH dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad