TBN: All-American Prospects game returning to Buffalo 2014 and 2015

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It is a significant announcement. For USA Hockey.

you don't see the CHL doing press conferences like this to announce who gets the BMOTP game, to use USA Hockey's words "this is a significant announcement". I don't really care that much regardless because I am not from the area, but good for the Sabres I guess.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Buffalo, such a great hockey town we barely blink when we get rewarded for it.

Drives me nuts.

Pegula is doing everything he said he would do to try and make Buffalo a premier hockey destination. And the grumpy jerks around here don't think it's good enough.

Some of us are fans of HOCKEY, not just the Buffalo Sabres.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
you don't see the CHL doing press conferences like this to announce who gets the BMOTP game, to use USA Hockey's words "this is a significant announcement". I don't really care that much regardless because I am not from the area, but good for the Sabres I guess.

The CHL doesn't need to because TSN spends 20 hours that week talking about it.

What the hell is the hangup with people and press conferences?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Drives me nuts.

Pegula is doing everything he said he would do to try and make Buffalo a premier hockey destination. And the grumpy jerks around here don't think it's good enough.

and no one here is saying anything against Pegula, we know how much he has done. But I guess you hear what you want to hear

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Drives me nuts.

Exactly! Not only that, but some of us are fans of USA hockey. This is great news.

For those that only follow Sabres and only follow the NHL this will be a non story.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The 2014 and 2015 CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game will be held at First Niagara Center in Buffalo, N.Y., home of the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres, USA Hockey announced today. The 2014 edition will be played Sept. 25. The date for the 2015 game will be announced next year.

"We're extremely pleased to be returning to Buffalo, the site of the inaugural CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects game in 2012," said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey. "The enthusiasm and support for hockey in Western New York will provide a great environment for the future stars of the NHL who will play in this game. It's terrific to be working with the Sabres organization and we appreciate their continued commitment and support of hockey at all levels."
http://www.allamericanprospectsgame.com/news_article/show/327423?referrer_id=641381

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
and no one here is saying anything against Pegula, we know how much he has done. But I guess you hear what you want to hear

I see people griping that the Sabres 'hyped' this announcement. (They didn't.) That the announcement is not significant. (It is.)

So yeah, I guess I do.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I see people griping that the Sabres 'hyped' this announcement. (They didn't.) That the announcement is not significant. (It is.)

So yeah, I guess I do.

Nobody said the sabres hyped it, just that this announcement was made up to possibly be something major with that "significant" tag with it, and I'm sorry, but I don't see the Prospect Game as something that warrants that tag. Is it nice to have, yeah, is it something fun, sure, but I would not deem it as significant.

The game in 2012 was attended by 5500 fans, that's sure not a significant number.

With all the possible build up of this announcement being something like a USHL team, the U18s tourney, or the USNTDP moving to Buffalo (which I thought was highly unlikely from the start), the announcement of the PG is a little underwhelming.

So yeah, sorry if some of us deem this as not being worthy of a "significant announcement" tag. Like I said, it's nice, it's fun, and it is noteworthy, but no where near significant in my mind.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
The Harbor Center/Buffalo tryout for the entire development program

Honestly, this doesn't seem very far-fetched at all. Given Pegula's penchant for big plans, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't one of the the long-term goals of hosting the prospects game.

"If you build it [and let them play in it, and they really like it], they will come"

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nobody said the sabres hyped it, just that this announcement was made up to possibly be something major with that "significant" tag with it, and I'm sorry, but I don't see the Prospect Game as something that warrants that tag. Is it nice to have, yeah, is it something fun, sure, but I would not deem it as significant.

The game in 2012 was attended by 5500 fans, that's sure not a significant number.

With all the possible build up of this announcement being something like a USHL team, the U18s tourney, or the USNTDP moving to Buffalo (which I thought was highly unlikely from the start), the announcement of the PG is a little underwhelming.

So yeah, sorry if some of us deem this as not being worthy of a "significant announcement" tag. Like I said, it's nice, it's fun, and it is noteworthy, but no where near significant in my mind.

TBF
With tickets being free for STH I'm sure the turnout will be much higher

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Not quite press conference worthy but Ill be at both games.

The Harbor Center/Buffalo tryout for the entire development program

That is my take on it. Everyone gets to see how it works without committing anything beyond two years. You also get to build relationships that may come into play down the road. Hockey Heaven wasnt built in a day.

Deleted member 27798

Does anyone know if the seating at the HarborCenter rinks is being designed with any expansion in mind? Would seem to be short sighted if not.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Post Press Conference Interviews

[NHL]537371[/NHL]
Pat LaFontaine speaks with Brian Duff following Tuesday's USA Hockey press conference.

[NHL]537369[/NHL]
USA Hockey Director of Hockey Operations, Jim Johannson, speaks with Brian Duff following Tuesday's press conference.

[NHL]537363[/NHL]
USA Hockey executive director, Dave Ogrean, speaks with Brian Duff following Tuesday's press conference.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they can continue to draw in these sort of events, excellent. I'd love to see them gun for a U-18 or U-17 for the viewing possibilities alone. Granted, would anyone come out? That's the question. Is Buffalo going to show they are a hockey city or just a Sabres city?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Does anyone know if the seating at the HarborCenter rinks is being designed with any expansion in mind? Would seem to be short sighted if not.

There's an 18000+ seat arena next door that I believe the Harbor Center owners have enough pull to arrange ice at for larger draws.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If they can continue to draw in these sort of events, excellent. I'd love to see them gun for a U-18 or U-17 for the viewing possibilities alone. Granted, would anyone come out? That's the question. Is Buffalo going to show they are a hockey city or just a Sabres city?

It's hard to imagine Southern Ontario not descending down in full force for such events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad