Alfredsson?

Detroit Sports*

This is good news. He is over. No more old players. You can have vets but they don't have to be over 40 years old. We should have signed Iginla TWICE over him. Last year and this year. We only did this because he is a Swede. Hands down Jarome is the better player...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This is good news. He is over. No more old players. You can have vets but they don't have to be over 40 years old. We should have signed Iginla TWICE over him. Last year and this year. We only did this because he is a Swede. Hands down Jarome is the better player...

Did Jarome even want to come here over the places he chose?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I disagree, i think we should have signed Stamkos over both of them.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I do not think Iginla wanted to come to Detroit.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Plot twist?

Linus Hugosson @linushugosson
Enligt mina källor har TSN fel om Alfredssons avbrutna comebackförsök. Fortsättning följer.

"According to my sources TSN is wrong about Alfredsson's interrupted comeback attempt. To be continued."

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch ✔ @SunGarrioch
Can confirm @DarrenDreger report that Daniel Alfredsson retirement is expected to be announced Dec. 4 in Ottawa. #Sens

Just posting this here for you guys.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Good then we can forget about him finally, and look forward on how to build the team instead. This makes the Cleary signing less awful too.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah. I run out of words, when I see responses like that...

To be fair as Red Wings fans many don't have the same...endearment as in Ottawa. I wish I could have seen more of him but to be honest only got to see him in random games and the playoffs. I loved every game he was here and glad he was meant to spend his last season in the D.

But yes, moving on Detroit can focus on the future and the hockey world can commemorate one of the greatest to ever play the game, Daniel Alfredsson.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I get it, when someone says that he'd rather not see him returning for this season, 'cause of his age and him being more injury-prone lately. What I don't get, is making it sound as if we had to carry him through the previous seasons and as if he didn't contribute at all - mentioning that it makes the Cleary signing less awful by not resigning him. Alfie truly did contribute and recognized, when to set an end to his carreer, instead of resigning just to earn some more dollars right away. That's classy all the way and I really appreciate that. That being said, I'd have loved to see him for another season, but I guess both sides are better off with not doing it, considering his comments on that matter.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I didnt say I thought it was good that Alfredsson had to retire, I just think it's good that he has finally come to a decision, and that the Wings now can go on with business with other players, like if there will be a day the Wings actually aquire a good RH defenceman with good PP qualities.

Although I can't say that I'm that emotionally attached to Alfredsson.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It sounded quite harsh tough, that's what led me to the interpretation of your words. But your latest response should have clarified what you meant and I agree on that part.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
One wishes the decision had been fully in his own hands instead of forced by injury. Too bad he didn't get one more season. Even if we're not a contender I still think we could make a decent run if all goes well, especially if we had Alfie.

Hope he gets the sendoff he deserves in Ottawa, there really shouldn't be any hard feelings towards a guy who gave everything he had to that team for 20 years.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It sounded quite harsh tough, that's what led me to the interpretation of your words. But your latest response should have clarified what you meant and I agree on that part.

Great then :). I probably did sound a bit disrespectful, part of not expressing it right, I'm pretty good at english but sometimes I struggle anyway, and part of perhaps getting a bit harsh tone as bad habit you can get when lurking internet forums too much!

Anyhow, I'm fully aware of course how good Alfie was and still probably would have been if not for injuries. :handclap: for him.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
One wishes the decision had been fully in his own hands instead of forced by injury. Too bad he didn't get one more season. Even if we're not a contender I still think we could make a decent run if all goes well, especially if we had Alfie.

Hope he gets the sendoff he deserves in Ottawa, there really shouldn't be any hard feelings towards a guy who gave everything he had to that team for 20 years.

If HF boards is an indicator, the Ottawa fans still loves him.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Iginla isn't so hot this year. I dropped him from my fantasy team faster than flies on poop a couple of weeks ago.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Yeah, they pretty much blame the ownership.

Anyway, sorry it ended this way for him. Even at 41 and with a bad back it was obvious what a quality player he was. Lest we forget, he did lead us in scoring last season.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Yeah, i would think most Ottawa fans still loves him. Of course there are going to be some Ottawa fans that still have a grudge about it.

I expect some cheers and tears from Sens fans on Dec. 4.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@Senators
BREAKING: #Sens can now confirm that Daniel Alfredsson will join the Sens team on the ice for the pre-game warm-up at 7 p.m. on Thursday!

What a traitor! :sarcasm:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Official video from the press conference in regard to his retirement tonight. After joining the team for the pre-game warm-up,
he's gonna have a ceremonial faceoff before the game vs. the Islanders starts.

Have a great night, Alfie. All the best for the future and thanks for your - short but much appreciated - service by wearing a winged wheel.

For those of you interested, an interview with him on swedish.

Outline:

- comparing it to coming home and expecting a nice, sentimental ceromini. Considering it as the end of this (NHL) chapter, before he starts the next one

- planning to take a year off afterwards
- always has been involved with Icehockey, but future will show if it continues to be on Pro level
- not sure yet about his further living place: It's either Ottawa, Detroit or Göteborg - latter one not at last as he won the cup with Frölunda during lockout season 2004-05

- participating in five OS: especially remembers 2006 in Turin, being part of a gold-winning team featuring Sundin, Forsberg, Lidström and Lundqvist
- apart from that, good memories on Nagano 1998
(new experience for him with all the athletes, great feeling)
- started to get called Mr. Ottawa due to his effort & appreciated being called that (grew over time, didn't expect that it led to such an extent and arouse so much attention)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
still bit sad he's not coming back. could have won his cup this year with Red Wings. :sarcasm:

A great player worthy of applause. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad