Alfredsson?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Ottawa fan here..

So after seeing him play for a season for you guys.. who do you feel about Alfie as a player? Was he worth signing? Did he bring a lot to the team? Would you want the guy back?

He's always been an intelligent player.. how you compare his on-ice intelligence to a guy like Datsyuk. When he was with Ottawa he never made a bad play it seemed..and I wouldn't be surprised if he carried that trend this past season too

Was just curious seeing how another fan base views him after seeing him first hand

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am praying we sign him for the sole reason that it leaves 1 less spot for Cleary.

Thought he looked good over the 1st half of last season. Thought he showed his age a bit down the stretch, but the Olympics probably didn't help that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was good, but there was too much hockey for a 41-year-old at last season. He should have skipped those olympics to have rest.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Led the team in scoring. We don't make the playoffs without him. You really couldn't have asked for more from a 41 year old. 49 points in 68 games, on pace for 60 over a full season? I'll take it.

If he can even manage a 45 point pace this season, I want him back.

crashman

Alife is still a great player, but his age is definitely catching up with him. He needs to have his IT limited so he can perform in the playoffs, if they make it.

I hope they re-sign him, especially since all the other decent free-agents have been picked over.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Personally, I think Alfie was injured more than he was aging as the season went on. But, he is a great player and I loved seeing him in a Red Wings sweater last year. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I liked alfy a lot and I think he would be even better next year playing with quality linemates like pav and z. He didn't play with much in terms of linemates last season

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yup Alfie played very well for us last year and Alfie and Krownwall were tied for the most points on the team with 49 points. I definitely want Alfie back this year for the right price as long as his back can hold up.:yo:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm a fan. Although he can't skate, carry the puck, protect the puck, or even defend like he could in his glory days, he can still a very useful player. His vision, patience with the puck, and ability to bury chances with his shot are still there. His vision and patience in particular impressed me. Spezza gets a lot of credit for Heatley's big goal scoring seasons, but there's no doubt in my mind that Alfie had a huge role in that as well.

Alfie was and will continue to be at his best when he plays with top tier players. When he was with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg, he didn't look his age. He's one of the few players that has the IQ to play with them. I can only imagine how dominant all 3 of them could have been together at their peaks. When he didn't play with them, however, which pretty frequent due to their injuries, he wasn't nearly as noticeable/effective. His age won't allow him to carry a line anymore. But as a weapon on the right line, he can be a great asset.

The ultimate goal would be for him to play alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg a lot this year, play on the PP, an rest some games since he is up there in the age.

I'm hoping and expecting him back.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I want him back, he's still got a good shot. If he's put with Pav and/or Z they will get the most out of him. When he was with Helm or Sheahan down the stretch he was pretty useless.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I want him back, he's still got a good shot. If he's put with Pav and/or Z they will get the most out of him. When he was with Helm or Sheahan down the stretch he was pretty useless.

Yeah Alfie playing with Pav and Z is far more better then Abdelkader playing with Pav or Z that's for sure. A healthy Alfredsson could still give us about 20 goals Abdelkader 10 goals at the very most.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I want him to retire.

He is pointless on this roster and will open up a roster spot for Jurco.

Time to play for the future. This year is already circling the drain.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He makes the team better, so yeah I want him.

He makes more sense than either Cleary or Quincey, but they were priorities, which I don't understand.

Johnz96*

Led the team in scoring. We don't make the playoffs without him. You really couldn't have asked for more from a 41 year old. 49 points in 68 games, on pace for 60 over a full season? I'll take it.

If he can even manage a 45 point pace this season, I want him back.

Held back better players from producing more than he did, while taking up a big chunk of cap.

No thanks

Johnz96*

Yeah Alfie playing with Pav and Z is far more better then Abdelkader playing with Pav or Z that's for sure. A healthy Alfredsson could still give us about 20 goals Abdelkader 10 goals at the very most.

Babcock likes a heavy guy on all lines. I think Jurco with Pav and Z would score more than 20 and also provide more size and a physical presence while not taking up so much cap.

Johnz96*

Which better players would have produced more than he did but were held back?

Nyquist and Tatar
And with some improvement combined with Alfredsson's deterioration due to age, I think Jurco should be better than him this year as well.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Nyquist and Tatar
And with some improvement combined with Alfredsson's deterioration due to age, I think Jurco should be better than him this year as well.

Nyquist and Tatar should've be on the Wings regardless of having Alfredsson.

1. No way the Wings should've went into the season with 3 rookie top 6 forwards.
2. They shouldn't have been rookies, except for Jurco.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nyquist and Tatar

They should have been on the roster regardless of Alfredsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad