Player Discussion Alexei Emelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
well this post is no longer relevant.

Wonder why the discussion has hinged so heavily on why Emelin decided to throw the hit at this juncture in the game, and not on why Colborne decided to drive wide on a guy who is very much a known commodity when it comes to dishing out big hits. Any other team in the league this hit's a non issue, but Emelin plays for Montreal so it's an easy 1k+ posts of ******** on the mains. thank god we have our own insular corner here

Last edited:

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Emelin is ****ing awesome!

Yes he is.

Jaynki was correct in saying Emelin owes nobody any thing...the game is 60 minutes long.

Ohashi mentioned Emelins job is to defend.Imagine if he gave a free pass to Colborne and he ran over Price carrying the biscuit to the net.
The hate for Emelin would be insurmountable.

Emelin has arrived and is doing his job,Habs have been pushed around far too long.

The hip check was fair and clean.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
We can't lose him in the expansion draft. Him and weber have formed a pretty scary duo back there. Players will think twice before entering the zone knowing that there are 2 defensemen willing to crush them. Playing next to Weber has really made him shine defensively. I've never been a huge Emelin supporter but this season he has been great. If only he had a bit of offensive skills

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
The cross-check by Pastrnak on Emelin following the hit should've been penalized. That's an easy retaliation penalty on which the refs decided to swallow their whistle because the Habs had already gotten 2 PPs in a row.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Emelin is a dying breed in todays NHL and some feel that he is over paid, maybe he is but so what, he is a physical presence on a team that could dearly use some more. I like that his hits are clean and he clearly is one of the best hitters in the game, he obviously takes pride in it. I don't mind other fans hating on him, they usually do when a rival team has something that they want.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Emelin is a dying breed in todays NHL and some feel that he is over paid, maybe he is but so what, he is a physical presence on a team that could dearly use some more. I like that his hits are clean and he clearly is one of the best hitters in the game, he obviously takes pride in it. I don't mind other fans hating on him, they usually do when a rival team has something that they want.

Well they must REALLY want him, because he's all they can talk about in the Krug/Shaw thread. :laugh:

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I'm not a huge Emelin fan but I do love how rattled he's got the Bruins fans. They can't understand why he still hits if he won't fight. Easy answer; it keeps making him the millions of dollars he wouldn't make otherwise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Remember when Emelin went down with an injury after the Lucic hit? Back when, Emelin was a very valuable piece of the Habs D and they missed him in the playoffs that year! I believe the year they lost to the Sens in the 1st round.

Turns out Emelin is overpaid due to what they ended up getting after the contract was signed but that's hindsight and having Emelin in the line-up and now playing with Weber is a good story this year for the Habs. He has addressed and filled a hole in the line-up. MB will continue to focus on improving depth in case of injuries regardless but does not have to aggressive go after a top 2D to play with Weber now (and make a big trade which is risky and more than likely a move that requires a NHL player subtraction).

$4.1 for Emelin is not the end of the world and will not affect the teams ability to acquire additional players.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
$4.1 for Emelin is not the end of the world and will not affect the teams ability to acquire additional players.

He is overpaid a little bit yes but make him available on the market and you'll receive offers. And not terrible ones despite what the main board think.

He is the type of guy you can trade without too much troubles as long as you take an equal salary back.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If Emelin didn't cross the line and play with the edge that he does, he'd be a below average defenseman. But the Emelin we see most night is very valuable.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I'm not a huge Emelin fan but I do love how rattled he's got the Bruins fans. They can't understand why he still hits if he won't fight. Easy answer; it keeps making him the millions of dollars he wouldn't make otherwise.

I think it's more that he can't fight as opposed to won't fight. I mean, one punch could end his career (metal place in his face and all).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Emelin didn't cross the line and play with the edge that he does, he'd be a below average defenseman. But the Emelin we see most night is very valuable.

Is there a case to be made that the Emelin we're seeing now, is sustainable? Is this the "real" Emelin? I mean, if he plays with this type of consistency to his game, is he not worth his cap hit?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think it's more that he can't fight as opposed to won't fight. I mean, one punch could end his career (metal place in his face and all).

It's so unfortunate he can't fight ... I'm pretty sure he would be a monster with all the force and strength he has.

A vicious hit + an ass kicking fight would spark the boys every night :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is there a case to be made that the Emelin we're seeing now, is sustainable? Is this the "real" Emelin? I mean, if he plays with this type of consistency to his game, is he not worth his cap hit?

The only answer to that comes in May if we are fortunate enough to be playing then. :sarcasm:
I'm concerned about the pairings lack of footspeed as a top pairing.
Weber has little to no opportunity of putting up even strength goals paired with stoneface.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

He is at his best when given the green light to play on the edge. Therrien took that away from him but this year with Weber he is being given the green light to lay the body and is doing just that.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's so unfortunate he can't fight ... I'm pretty sure he would be a monster with all the force and strength he has.

A vicious hit + an ass kicking fight would spark the boys every night :laugh:

It would spark my interest as a fan of that type of player as well, I wish we had a forward with a similar style.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Not sure fighting would've been Emelin's thing even without the face plate.

There's more to it than being big and strong. See Komisarek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad