Player Discussion Alexei Emelin - The Eliminator Edition

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Emelin has played a lot of good hockey this season, the upcoming stretch run with the Ottawa games should see him rebound. The games against the more physical teams like Ottawa, are when Beaulieu & Emelin's games will elevate, IMHO. The Habs now have the depth on defence, to play against teams that thrive in physical series. See how the Habs fare by the end of Saturday, 25th of March, 2017, after the Montreal/Ottawa 3 games in 8 night series ends. I have a feeling that Emelin's detractor's will fade into the shadows by then, awaiting another victim for their venomous remarks. So many players I've witnessed become targets for these types of tirades, many have gone onto become HOFers.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Emelin's played a lot of hockey this season already, far more than his usual icetime, physical play takes a toll over an 82 game schedule, a long playoff run is almost a certainty, a fresh Emelin will be much appreciated in those games, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is your answer for the thread question: Emelin provides no offense and his Cap Hit is $4.1M. He needs to be solid on D and reliable. If he's not doing this, he's useless and extremely over paid!

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
He was critizied before, but MT and DD took the majority of it so it sort of slipped under the radar.

He played OK with weber for a while, to only fall off the face of the earth. He is very bad, and its noticeable.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
The thing is, he jsut seems to be making such poor rookie level mistakes.

Blown coverage that are leading to goals so its even further scrutinized.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hes been crap all year. The only difference is that weber is no longer covering his mistakes.

Agreed. Some thought when he was playing with Weber, he should of been protected over Beaulieu because LV will take him and then trade him for a 2nd round pick at next years trade deadline. lol.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Because of the Suckage, mainly.

The game against Chicago was pretty even. Until Emelin was directly responsible for two back-to-back goals against the Habs. He first let a player go by like a pilon. Secondly he checked his own player! You would tell me he is a Russian agent and I wouldn't portray you of being a CNN Conspiracy Theorist. I would say it's a resonable assumption.

He was responsible for the third goal against too by wandering way the hell away from his assignment for no good reason.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Its interesting that we've seen probably the best and worst of Emelin this season. He was very strong to start the year, but he's been pretty much directly responsible for the last 4 non-empty net goals against for Montreal. Considering he doesn't drive offense or transition, that's unacceptable.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The thing is, he jsut seems to be making such poor rookie level mistakes.

Blown coverage that are leading to goals so its even further scrutinized.

That's what a lack of confidence will do to you.

When you struggle you start to overthink things and usually it just get worse from that point.

I've played hockey for a long time and the mental game is probably just as important as the physical one.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With tonight's game, Emelin hits a career high in games played at 73. Needs to score 1 more goal though after breaking his streak last year of scoring exactly 3 goals in every season. His production keeps dropping each year the more games he plays,

'13-'14 - 59 games 17 pts
'14-'15 - 68 games 14 pts
'15-'16 - 72 games 12 pts
'16-'17 - 73 games 10 pts

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Google translation from French:

Emelin's issues on the ice recently were because of issues off the ice

Alexei Emelin quietly leaves the storm. A few days ago, number 74 sought out its landmarks and multiplied the gaffes. But he did not completely mind hockey.

"There was a reason, but it was personal," said Emelin on the eve of the game against the Florida Panthers. I will not go into the details. I was a little sick too. "

Emelin reached the bottom of the barrel during two meetings in particular. He played two of his worst NHL games on March 9 against the Flames in Calgary and on March 14 against the Blackhawks in Montreal. Both times he finished with a record of -3. He looked like a totally disoriented defender.

Asked about this empty passage, the Russian refused to identify the element that preoccupied him. There could be a multitude of reasons, but it should be remembered that the 30-year-old defender is the happy dad of a third girl since December. He took advantage of a two-game holiday on December 22 and 23 after his daughter was born.

"I still manage to sleep," he told the Journal de Montréal. She's a good baby. "

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/03/29/emelin-se-replace

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Google translation from French:

Emelin's issues on the ice recently were because of issues off the ice

Alexei Emelin quietly leaves the storm. A few days ago, number 74 sought out its landmarks and multiplied the gaffes. But he did not completely mind hockey.

"There was a reason, but it was personal," said Emelin on the eve of the game against the Florida Panthers. I will not go into the details. I was a little sick too. "

Emelin reached the bottom of the barrel during two meetings in particular. He played two of his worst NHL games on March 9 against the Flames in Calgary and on March 14 against the Blackhawks in Montreal. Both times he finished with a record of -3. He looked like a totally disoriented defender.

Asked about this empty passage, the Russian refused to identify the element that preoccupied him. There could be a multitude of reasons, but it should be remembered that the 30-year-old defender is the happy dad of a third girl since December. He took advantage of a two-game holiday on December 22 and 23 after his daughter was born.

"I still manage to sleep," he told the Journal de Montréal. She's a good baby. "

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/03/29/emelin-se-replace
I was saying - guys, it's confidence issues, he didn't suddenly forget how to play. And now we know.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
He's been playing great the past few games, especially last night and the previous game against Dallas. When he's hitting out there and has his head in the game, the guy is a total pest that throws the opposition off their games.

Thornton must have had tears in his eyes while chasing Emelin around last night.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
He's been playing great the past few games, especially last night and the previous game against Dallas. When he's hitting out there and has his head in the game the guy is a total pest that throws the opposition off their games.

Thornton must have had tears in his eyes while chasing Emelin around last night.

Actually....
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...thornton-je-nai-aucun-respect-pour-emelin.php

"Thorton: "I have no respect for Emelin. He is good enough as a Defense but I don't like his way of playing. He plays short side of dirty and doesn't stand up for consequences"

:laugh:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Actually....
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...thornton-je-nai-aucun-respect-pour-emelin.php

"Thorton: "I have no respect for Emelin. He is good enough as a Defense but I don't like his way of playing. He plays short side of dirty and doesn't stand up for consequences"

:laugh:

http://www.tsn.ca/thornton-rips-idiot-emelin-after-elbowing-penalty-1.711472

TSN has this story on Thornton calling Emelin up too.

I consider the source .... he's a one dimensional player who needs an emotional catalyst to be even remotely effective ... so while I don't care much for his opinion, there is some truth to what he says (not the marginal hits).

Should Emelin be the type of player that plays on the edge if he is physically incapable because of his injury of answering the bell for playing on that edge? I say Thornton's definitely being a bit of a crybaby and he can't let go of years of ********. I particularly like how Thornton doesn't acknowledge the fact that Emelin's hit came seconds after his own teammates marginal hit, but that's a different topic. Is it only the enforcers like Thornton who have this a opinion or is it widespread?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Emelin is probably the best hitter in the NHL, he hits hard and clean. Guys are pissed off because he doesn't fight, but Emelin doesn't owe that to anyone.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
http://www.tsn.ca/thornton-rips-idiot-emelin-after-elbowing-penalty-1.711472

TSN has this story on Thornton calling Emelin up too.

I consider the source .... he's a one dimensional player who needs an emotional catalyst to be even remotely effective ... so while I don't care much for his opinion, there is some truth to what he says (not the marginal hits).

Should Emelin be the type of player that plays on the edge if he is physically incapable because of his injury of answering the bell for playing on that edge? I say Thornton's definitely being a bit of a crybaby and he can't let go of years of ********. I particularly like how Thornton doesn't acknowledge the fact that Emelin's hit came seconds after his own teammates marginal hit, but that's a different topic. Is it only the enforcers like Thornton who have this a opinion or is it widespread?

A dinosaur comment from a dinosaur player, can't wait till all these "Goons" are out of the NHL. Fighting still has it's place in the game but not goons IMHO

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
Ya, I guess that ugly monkey forgot about squirts water on PK from the bench being a manly thing to do. That's how I remember that goof. 5 year old trying to sound moral and important. Just quit you freak. Or what about showing the slit your throat sign to Ryan o'brny in the penalty box like an angry isis fighter during the after math of a scrap. Ass hole!!!! Just retire *****!

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I wish Emelin would quit with the cheap shots and hits that are not necessary, like when the game has already been decided. Why instigate the other team's goons especially knowing you can't back it up? Is he expecting his teammates to have to do his fighting for him?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Emelin has had an up and down year...............recently, in the last few games, he seems much more himself. There was something on H/IO that said Emelin was the last guy on the team D who did not understand CJ's swarm type of system in his own end...he was really picking the wrong spots to use the system...ie the Hawks game where he left the front of the net open and his man scored.
He now understands the system better...and it seems to be showing...

The guy throws alot of hits, and he hits hard...guys don't like it, but if it's a clean hit he should not have to fight...........if it's a dirty hit, that's another matter.

As for off ice stuff, these guys are people...we forget that, we really do.........he has 3 kids at home, and one a brand new baby...he would be easily distracted, unlike the kids who do not have families, and can solely concentrate on hockey...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I wish Emelin would quit with the cheap shots and hits that are not necessary, like when the game has already been decided. Why instigate the other team's goons especially knowing you can't back it up? Is he expecting his teammates to have to do his fighting for him?

He doesn't throw cheapshots. His two "worst" hits were crosschecks that happen every game, every day, beyond that there were clean but late interference kinda hits. He's a phenomenal hitter.

What's your definition of cheap shot? Can you point to one?

I think destroying Colborne was entirely justified and expected, the fans pay good money to watch the game for 60 minutes and if Emelin let up on Colborn waltzing in his zone he will have let down his team and fans, never mind the scoreline. If Colborne didn't want to get hit, he wouldn't have laced up his skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad