Player Discussion Alexei Emelin - The Eliminator Edition

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
for some players as they get older, the game gets fasters.

you can see plekanec and emelin. especially plekanec as he seems one step slower, he's trying to read the play but the other guys are too fast he looks out of place. the same thing is happening with emelin.

guys like markov are different because they use their intelligence to predict where the puck will be. like the famous gretzky quote. something like i don't go where the puck is, i go where its going to be.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Because he's playing really bad and is overpaid. It's not hard to understand

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Because he isn't good offensively or defensively and hits aren't really inherently valuable when context isn't taken into consideration (ie, many are runs at players his partner has already covered).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
for some players as they get older, the game gets fasters.

you can see plekanec and emelin. especially plekanec as he seems one step slower, he's trying to read the play but the other guys are too fast he looks out of place. the same thing is happening with emelin.

guys like markov are different because they use their intelligence to predict where the puck will be. like the famous gretzky quote. something like i don't go where the puck is, i go where its going to be.

"I go where Partner is"--- Emelin.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If you had watched the last game & the Rangers game you wouldn't need to ask that question. It isn't a case of DD's gone therefore we need a new scapegoat. People have always complained about Emelin because he goes through long periods where he's beyond bad. He's awful.

Many people wanted him traded after that atrocious series he had against the Rangers in the final four, which followed a great series he had against the Bruins.

The guy is bad. I mean really bad. He needs to sit, and hopefully, be gone this summer.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
He's been awful for a little while now. He's not even hitting. He's just being super dumb out there.

Of course, he's not the only one but he's been out worst player in the past few weeks.

I just hope he comes back to a respectable level. When he plays up to his capabilities, he's a pain to play against and useful to this team.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He's been awful for a little while now. He's not even hitting. He's just being super dumb out there.

Of course, he's not the only one but he's been out worst player in the past few weeks.

I just hope he comes back to a respectable level. When he plays up to his capabilities, he's a pain to play against and useful to this team.

You can't put him in a time machine and recapture his best seasons. He can't check players he can't reach and sometimes he goes after the wrong player, not to mention that he doesn't contribute as much to the offense as an elderly Markov. Sooner or later he'll cede his position to Sergachev, and I'm betting on sooner,

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You can't put him in a time machine and recapture his best seasons. He can't check players he can't reach and sometimes he goes after the wrong player, not to mention that he doesn't contribute as much to the offense as an elderly Markov. Sooner or later he'll cede his position to Sergachev, and I'm betting on sooner,

Time machine? He was decent 20 games ago! It's in his head, it's not some sort of physical decline... He should go get some help, where's Gainey when you need him? He should go with him for a walk... :laugh:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Time machine? He was decent 20 games ago! It's in his head, it's not some sort of physical decline... He should go get some help, where's Gainey when you need him? He should go with him for a walk... :laugh:

Seriously. He's not slower than usual or anything like that, he's just playing dumb.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In general, Emelin is a decent 4-5th D.
However, the past 10-15 games, he has been playing like an ECHL defenseman, and that's why he's getting a ton of hate right now.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Seriously. He's not slower than usual or anything like that, he's just playing dumb.

Reading the thread about him is pretty funny... People complimenting him for his solid defensive play and bone crushing hits. Talking about protecting him in the expansion draft and why we're not using him on the PP... :laugh:

Wake up Emelinator!!! You're better than this! :rant:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He is absolutely NOT worth his 4.1m cap hit. He is being paid as a top 4 dman, and he is not playing like one. He is playing like a bottom pairing dman at BEST. That is where the hate is coming from.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
1: DD is gone, need to hate on someone else
2: this board is insane
3: like petry, he isn't consistent enough, great at the beginning, kinda crap now. the truth lies somewhere in the middle

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
1: DD is gone, need to hate on someone else
2: this board is insane
3: like petry, he isn't consistent enough, great at the beginning, kinda crap now. the truth lies somewhere in the middle

I mean you have to be pretty delusional if you dont think Emelin is god awful. That or you dont watch Habs games. He hits well, thats about it.

Also im pretty sure ppl hated Emelin even when DD was here. He played well at the start of the season cus Weber was carrying him, no one was saying anything about him back then.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Because of the Suckage, mainly.

The game against Chicago was pretty even. Until Emelin was directly responsible for two back-to-back goals against the Habs. He first let a player go by like a pilon. Secondly he checked his own player! You would tell me he is a Russian agent and I wouldn't portray you of being a CNN Conspiracy Theorist. I would say it's a resonable assumption.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Following the acquisition of Weber, plus the trade deadline trades (Benn, Davidson, Ott, King, Martinsen)... Emelin's physicality is not as important as it used to be.

He used to be needed cause that physical play was irreplaceable.

Now it isn't.

If he plays well, we can use it. If his positioning sucks, we can survive without his physical play. There are other areas to pick up that slack.

I think it's as important cause Emelin's big hits is never not needed. But that's the thing, his last big hit was against the Avs with the 10-1 win. He doesn't hit at all anymore. Earlier in the year, he was a killer and he hardly does that now.

As far as his overall play, it reminds me of Subban last year where in the span of a couple of games, it felt like he completely lost it and he kept falling on the ice, costing goals and games. It was like a curse and it's happening to Emelin now and it's almost unexplicable. It's weird that this is happening again to a Habs defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad