Player Discussion Alexei Emelin - The Eliminator Edition

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Loving the thread title, although my name suggestion kept the letters of his name intact: the Emilinator. He has surely become that, a destructive source, old school type hitting that you don't see much of anymore.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
He's been playing well and has been making some solid hits this season. Maybe he will become the most hated player in the league if he keeps it up. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Avalanche Emilinations

Short recap of some Emilinations against the Avs recently:

1fqs30.gif

1fqryo.gif

And on the same sequence, against Iginla who was looking to give Emelin some payback for the above hit:

1fqx69.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bruin Emilinations

output_9EEz8b_zpsk1w6mos4.gif

1fuxp0.gif

1fv2lu.gif

On the same play, Marchand retaliating:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Loving the thread title, although my name suggestion kept the letters of his name intact: the Emilinator. He has surely become that, a destructive source, old school type hitting that you don't see much of anymore.

Emelinator* :yo:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Emelin at 30 years old (turns 31 in April), is making a case for a spot on that Expansion List next year.

Can't wait to see Emelin's brand of physicality in the playoffs.

Emelinator* :yo:

Thank-you, Sir, for the gfy clip above, which I lifted from one of your posts in the Bruin post-game thread. :handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Somehow, that pic gives an impression of refinement that I hadn't imagined could be possible about Emelin. :laugh:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm sure he's a vodka and pickles guy.

From LaPresse:

The Russian who does not like vodka

During his interview with La Presse, Alexei Emelin was preparing to return to Russia for a few days. He had put in his suitcases bottles of his Quebec wine. Would he enjoy his return to Russia to taste vodka?

"No!" He answered plainly.

Although vodka is the national drink of the Russians, number 74 finds that it does not "taste good". The player also does not know the Russian wines because his family comes from Togliatti, a town located more than 1500 km from the Black Sea on which most Russian vineyards are located. But he will not be asked to taste it.

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
I'm glad he's throwing big hits again. Feels like he left that part of his game back with his knee injury vs the B's.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
From LaPresse:

The Russian who does not like vodka

During his interview with La Presse, Alexei Emelin was preparing to return to Russia for a few days. He had put in his suitcases bottles of his Quebec wine. Would he enjoy his return to Russia to taste vodka?

"No!" He answered plainly.

Although vodka is the national drink of the Russians, number 74 finds that it does not "taste good". The player also does not know the Russian wines because his family comes from Togliatti, a town located more than 1500 km from the Black Sea on which most Russian vineyards are located. But he will not be asked to taste it.

I guess he also prefers vichysoisse to borscht.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Fan of Emelin or not...I always doubt his thinking/brain/hockey sense (especially in palyoffs, except vs Bruins, for some reason!), but...according to many Hab fans this season Emelin is having a solid year (also thanks to Weber?). So, not trying to **** on Emelin, but just making a few observations.

This is just for discussion...not another bitter/angry Hab fan vs another bitter/angry Hab fan insulting each other 'cause of disagreements...it's all opinion exchange, that's all.

<Kreider on Price (playoffs):
Emelin was there trailing Kreider...Emelin hacks Kreider's ankle/foot...Kreider falls and slides into Price and injures Price's knee. I blame Kreider for this, but I can't help but notice that Emelin was there and hacked Kreider. Wondering what would have happened if Emelin didn't hack Kreider? (Kreider doesn't fall/slide into Price?). We win in 6-7 games? Weise was also not there (injured) for game 7 (and game 6, as well? I forget), which (imo) didn't help our cause.

<Emelin vs Colorado...10-1 victory:
Emelin throws a huge check/hip-check on Colborne while the game was almost over and 10-1 for us...not the smartest time for this kind of hit, but this is just my opinion. Therrien apparently said Emelin doesn't have a filter for these hits...he just throws them anytime he has the chance...10-1 or 1-0,etc. Smart move? Cave-man move? Not important?

<Tonight/yesterday vs Toronto:
Hyman goes to the net really hard...Emelin is there and bumps Hyman into Price instead of preventing Hyman from crashing the net...this could have been really ugly...so happy Price is fine, but tabarnouche that didn't look good (when Hyman went flying/falling right into Price). The replay showed Emelin clearly bumping Hyman into Price. Was Hyman going to crash the net/Price or Emelin's bump is an excuse?,etc,etc.

Emelin is dangerous to opponents (body-checks/ hip-checks, most of the legal, good-timing, bad-timing, brain-dead-timing, etc)...is he also sometimes dangerous for our own players/goalies? (ex: Price ; retaliation towards our players, ex: vs Colorado if there was more time left in game,etc). I want him to prevent players from crashing our net, not causing them...or maybe I'm worrying too much about our Price...whatever happens will happen...que sera, sera?!).

Cheers

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How do you suggest Emelin prevent Hyman from crashing the net?

I think Hyman was going to crash to the net, but Emelin made it worse by giving him a push.
One thing that I've noticed about Emelin is that when someone is driving towards the net, he pushes them (from behind). That can lead to the player bumping Price.

There isn't any problem if the player is going at a normal speed since Emelin's push might not make him fall down or even if he did it would be a small collision between him and Price.

But when a guy is driving towards the net at max speed (like that p.o.s of hyman did), if Emelin pushes him it's going to have a big effect. The guy will lose balance and end up colliding hard with Price.

That's a habit that Emelin should fix... The reward of making a guy miss his scoring chance is not worth the risk of making the player fall on Price and potentially injuring Price.

In the hyman situation, he got beat at first and then tried to stop the scoring chance by hitting him. Instead of that, he should've just tried to hook him with his stick.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Question was:
How do you suggest Emelin prevent Hyman from crashing the net?
And your answer:
I think Hyman was going to crash to the net, but Emelin made it worse by giving him a push.
One thing that I've noticed about Emelin is that when someone is driving towards the net, he pushes them (from behind). That can lead to the player bumping Price.

There isn't any problem if the player is going at a normal speed since Emelin's push might not make him fall down or even if he did it would be a small collision between him and Price.

But when a guy is driving towards the net at max speed (like that p.o.s of hyman did), if Emelin pushes him it's going to have a big effect. The guy will lose balance and end up colliding hard with Price.

That's a habit that Emelin should fix... The reward of making a guy miss his scoring chance is not worth the risk of making the player fall on Price and potentially injuring Price.

In the hyman situation, he got beat at first and then tried to stop the scoring chance by hitting him. Instead of that, he should've just tried to hook him with his stick.
Now, do you expect Emelin to get out of the way when a player tries to run into Price.

Hook him with his stick?
That is exactly what he did.

BTW, looking at the replay, you can see that most of the impact was not caused by Emelin but Hyman taking a full run at Price and jumping.

Do you really think that if Emelin is not there, Hyman would have avoided contact?
He was going for it all the way, the only thing is that Emelin prevented him to injure Price's knee.
By the way, Hyman had his two feet off the ground when he flew on Price.
He clearly jumped to maximize the impact.
He was not trying to avoid it, he was trying to maximize it.

That is to be expected from Hyman, it is the way he plays.

TBH, I would love to see McCarron do the same on opponents goalies.
Let's see:
  • Gallagher: 5'9"
  • Shaw: 5'11"
  • Hyman: 6'1"
  • McCarron: 6'6"

How would the Blue Jackets or the Wild react if BigMac ran their goalies?

Same with Babcock and Andersen.
From that point on, we should have run over Andersen.
BTW, same applies to the Rangers with Lundqvist after Kreider deliberately injured Price.

Edit: Weber is not a player who loose his control. If he went against Hyman it is because he knew that Hyman wanted to injure Price. I am pretty sure that Hyman will be a target the next time Leafs are playing against us.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Before Weber came to Montreal i said he's the one who made Josi and Suter, now he's making Emelin a first pairing defenceman.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No points in 25 games for Emelin -- the second longest such streak in the NHL right now.

Is this of concern, considering he's being used as a first pairing D? He's in Dale Weise territory right now (Weise currently with no points in 20 games).

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
No points in 25 games for Emelin -- the second longest such streak in the NHL right now.

Is this of concern, considering he's being used as a first pairing D? He's in Dale Weise territory right now (Weise currently with no points in 20 games).

If he even got 1 point it's just a bonus for what he does: defending - which he does really well. I personally don't see much of an issue with that. He's been solid.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
If he even got 1 point it's just a bonus for what he does: defending - which he does really well. I personally don't see much of an issue with that. He's been solid.

Agreed! Emelin has never really been relied upon just to put up points. That being said, I think they should try him on the power play with Petry or Beaulieu. Pair the other one with Weber. He's got a decent shot and cant be any worse than having Barberio on the PP.

RuskiNik

May 19, 2014
Montréal
This might have been discussed before, but why isn't Emelin playing on the 2nd PP wave? From what I see he has a pretty decent vision and not bad shot. He also was more offensif in the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad