Player Discussion Alexei Emelin - The Eliminator Edition

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You play to win the game.

If the other team is still trying hard to score, then you better be trying hard to stop them regardless of the score of the game. The NHL (all pro sports) is such a competitive league, where a bad play or two could leave you watching from the stands, and cost you your spot.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He doesn't throw cheapshots. His two "worst" hits were crosschecks that happen every game, every day, beyond that there were clean but late interference kinda hits. He's a phenomenal hitter.

What's your definition of cheap shot? Can you point to one?

I think destroying Colborne was entirely justified and expected, the fans pay good money to watch the game for 60 minutes and if Emelin let up on Colborn waltzing in his zone he will have let down his team and fans, never mind the scoreline. If Colborne didn't want to get hit, he wouldn't have laced up his skates.

I agree, if you can't take a clean hit stay out of hockey. ******* need to retaliate over every little thing. Emelin is not dirty, although I think he hits to hurt sometimes.

Can't believe that word got stars?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have always liked Emelins physical game. The big hits. Open ice and on the wall.

But its all I liked about his game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's funny seeing how soft these goons are sometimes. Thornton is such as sissy, can't take a clean hit or he has to cry to the media. He talks about the good old days but that idiot started playing in the 2000s. I can't imagine what kind of crying he'd have done playing against Marchment, Kasparaitis or Ulf Samuelsson. That's what being a Bruins too long does to you.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Thread on the maimboard about what Thornton said about Emelin is some good reading. Bruin fans still have their panties in a bunch about anything Emelin related. :laugh:

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
It's funny seeing how soft these goons are sometimes. Thornton is such as sissy, can't take a clean hit or he has to cry to the media. He talks about the good old days but that idiot started playing in the 2000s. I can't imagine what kind of crying he'd have done playing against Marchment, Kasparaitis or Ulf Samuelsson. That's what being a Bruins too long does to you.

I can't imagine Thornton against a guy like Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger at his prime. :D

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Glad to see Emelin find his game again, he's been playing great the last few games.

Emelin got injured (vs Buffalo)...anyone know anything? (anyone with inside sources' info willing to share?!). It was mentioned on CBC Montreal (ch.6) that he got injured in the Buffalo game...no timeline or seriousness of injury was mentioned.

I'm hard on Emelin for his defensive mistakes (or lack of defensive hockey sense), but...I have loved reading (from many here) that he was doing well recently, until I heard in the news that he got injured in the Buffalo game...what timing...$#%*@!*%. I really hope it's not serious...we need him 'cause our D-Depth will get thinner without him (and our physical game might suffer a bit...hope not).

Injuries...real torture for many impatient Hab fans (like me!) when you want to know about a player's timeline and whether it's serious or not?! (it's almost like the organization and the NHL just wants fans to pay for their expensive tickets/beer/jerseys and shut-up and wait!).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He went from being coached by Carlyle, another known thug for the Bruins organisation. Poor dude, its in his veins.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Emelin got injured (vs Buffalo)...anyone know anything? (anyone with inside sources' info willing to share?!). It was mentioned on CBC Montreal (ch.6) that he got injured in the Buffalo game...no timeline or seriousness of injury was mentioned.

I'm hard on Emelin for his defensive mistakes (or lack of defensive hockey sense), but...I have loved reading (from many here) that he was doing well recently, until I heard in the news that he got injured in the Buffalo game...what timing...$#%*@!*%. I really hope it's not serious...we need him 'cause our D-Depth will get thinner without him (and our physical game might suffer a bit...hope not).

Injuries...real torture for many impatient Hab fans (like me!) when you want to know about a player's timeline and whether it's serious or not?! (it's almost like the organization and the NHL just wants fans to pay for their expensive tickets/beer/jerseys and shut-up and wait!).
He won't be playing the last two games and they will reevaluate his chances on Tuesday.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Hope he's ready to go for the playoffs.

He gets **** on a lot around here, but the guy ended the season playing very well. Last time we made the playoffs I thought Emelin/Petry were out best pairing as well and his physical presence adds a lot in the playoffs.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
He won't be playing the last two games and they will reevaluate his chances on Tuesday.

Cheers for info. Hoping we get good news on Tuesday...and if not, hopefully it's not more than 1-2 weeks (compared to 1-2 months+). When he doesn't make mistakes he's a solid/physical #4dman (like his recent play)...but when he makes many mistakes I want to pull my hair out and make him our borderline #6-7dman! Hopefully he comes back soon and as a solid #4dman.

Hope he's ready to go for the playoffs.
He gets **** on a lot around here, but the guy ended the season playing very well
. Last time we made the playoffs I thought Emelin/Petry were out best pairing as well and his physical presence adds a lot in the playoffs.

I'm crossing my fingers BIG TIME for him to be healthy soon.
I **** often on him for his defensive mistakes (and lack of defensive hockey sense),etc, so I'm guilty for that (no doubt), but...I do like him when he keeps it smart/simple defensively like he has been in his last 5-6-7 games and then this has to happen...an injury...#$%^&*@#$%. (Hopefully it's not serious). I just wished he was more consistent defensively like he has been recently (hope he comes back and gives us that same kind of play).

If an extra week (or two) will get him back to 100% (or close), then I'm all for it (vs rushing him for game 1 and he's only at 50% and he makes many mistakes,etc).

Did anyone see how it happened? (or what happened?).
Cheers.

Go Habs Go!!
Go Emelin Go! (please get better:nod:).

Markov-Weber
Davidson/Beaulieu-Petry
Beaulieu/Davidson-Benn
Emelin?
Nesterov
Lernout

Last edited:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Who ever plays with Emelin ends up sucking. He has low hockey iq , puts massive pressure on his d partner. He needs to go play in vegas next year.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Because this team is missing critical defensive depth.

Weber - #2
Markov - #3/4
Petry - #3/4
Beaulieu - #6
Benn - #6
Davidson - #7

Having only one top pairing D means everyone gets bumped up a spot, and Emelin, who should be a bottom pairing guy, ends up in a role he can't handle and gets exposed.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Because this team is missing critical defensive depth.

Weber - #2
Markov - #3/4
Petry - #3/4
Beaulieu - #6
Benn - #6
Davidson - #7

Having only one top pairing D means everyone gets bumped up a spot, and Emelin, who should be a bottom pairing guy, ends up in a role he can't handle and gets exposed.

This team is packed with bottom pairing defensemen and Emelin is the most overpaid.

Honestly, I think Davidson is better than him. Davidson is mediocre but Emelin is criticially stupid, he makes the guy he's playing with worse.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm not opposed to just letting Vegas pick him up. His role on the team can be filled for much cheaper.

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
He has to go this summer. Absolutely no offensive talent, in the offensive zone he is useless.
Defensively he has become a nuisance. Other than a big hit once in a while, he brings nothing and carries a 4 million cap hit.
Last night's OT goal, he has the stick in the way and puck deflects to Zine.
Not a smart player and we need to replace him this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad