Alexei Emelin - Future # 1 Defenseman?

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
PS just for the record: one should not have to fight after a hard and clean hit but eh… we are chatting about the NHL here!

Say what? Hard or clean so what. If you are going to hit and hit then you better be ready for some payback. You cant play the game hard and expect your teammates to stick up for you.....thats *****.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Say what? Hard or clean so what. If you are going to hit and hit then you better be ready for some payback. You cant play the game hard and expect your teammates to stick up for you.....thats *****.

I completely disagree with you but sadly you perfectly described the cultural gap between the NHL and ALL the other major leagues in the world. I do however agree with you on one thing: in the current context, it could, quickly, become a problem for Emelin... hence my reference to Malone potentially becoming to him what Lucic is for Komisarek.

Again: one should not have to fight after a hard and clean hit (it's insane imo) but I fear charlie is right.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

What a joke..

I completely disagree with you but sadly you perfectly described the cultural gap between the NHL and ALL the other major leagues in the world. I do however agree with you on one thing: in the current context, it could, quickly, become a problem for Emelin... hence my reference to Malone potentially becoming to him what Lucic is for Komisarek.

Again: one should not have to fight after a hard and clean hit (it's insane imo) but I fear charlie is right.

I hope he sticks to his guns, doesn't fight and keep wrecking people. Maybe he'll even be some sort of involuntary agitator on top of that.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
If Johnny Boychuck have become a good top 4 dman at an relatively old age with less natural talent I can see Emelin becoming as far as a number 2 guy, think of Konstantinov which Emelin reminds me alot. Then again maybe he will not be able to reach all his potential in the NHL, we will see.

A number 1 is asking too much since thoses guys needs to carry the offense which I can't see Emelin doing.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I hope he sticks to his guns, doesn't fight and keep wrecking people. Maybe he'll even be some sort of involuntary agitator on top of that.

Have you played sports at all.
Wrecking people and not gettin wrecked just isnt going to work
very well in most male athletes.
You want to play hard you better be prepared.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

If his hits are clean he will be fine. It wasn't much of an issue last year and Emelin was hitting everything in sight. He actually had one of the best season for the number of bone shattering open ice hits I've ever seen. Nobody can force him to fight if he doesn't want to (or can't in his case). I hope all the Don Cherry fanboys with neanderthal mentality get super mad over it too, this will only make it better.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Nope.

Not even close.

The reason why you think that is because the habs have some sort of masochistic tendancy to put young inexperienced players in positions to fail (ie playing a rookie russian dman who doesn't speak much english on his wrong side).

I find some of the comments on Emelin very short sighted. I really hope they play him on his proper side and put him in a position to succeed. He will open a lot of eyes.

Granted, maybe the OP was exaggerating a little but I could see him topping out as a strong #2. Anyone remembers Streit's first season with Mtl ?

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
If his hits are clean he will be fine. It wasn't much of an issue last year and Emelin was hitting everything in sight. He actually had one of the best season for the number of bone shattering open ice hits I've ever seen. Nobody can force him to fight if he doesn't want to (or can't in his case). I hope all the Don Cherry fanboys with neanderthal mentality get super mad over it too, this will only make it better.

Yeah dont get me wrong here I love Emelin and his hard hitting game. I just dont want guys like Max lappiere on this team or in this league for that matter. You going to hit and agitate you better be able to back it up.
And the only reason I say you better back it up is because if you ever played sports and you have a guy running around knockin heads he best be prepared to get some head knockin back.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Gotta love Emelin...
But he is a riverboat gambler with some of those hits... needs to play with a stay at home type, imho...

If he learns better timing he is higher potential.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Yeah dont get me wrong here I love Emelin and his hard hitting game. I just dont want guys like Max lappiere on this team or in this league for that matter. You going to hit and agitate you better be able to back it up.
And the only reason I say you better back it up is because if you ever played sports and you have a guy running around knockin heads he best be prepared to get some head knockin back.

Repeating it doesn't make it true. And that is not an actual reason.

Tell me exactly what is going to happen if he keeps making hard hits ?

I'll tell you what, guys like Richards will cry to the medias after the game how the habs are classless and lack respect for the game and guys like Lucic will thump their chest a little but that's gonna be it. What can they actually do ?

Here's an example.. volchenkov is known for his great open ice hits and he has fought twice in his career...

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Repeating it doesn't make it true. And that is not an actual reason.

Tell me exactly what is going to happen if he keeps making hard hits ?

I'll tell you what, guys like Richards will cry to the medias after the game how the habs are classless and lack respect for the game and guys like Lucic will thump their chest a little but that's gonna be it.

He will be forced to fight. Isnt that what we dont want!

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

:laugh:Not much to say here.

There's a difference between yapping like Lappy did and hard clean hits. I doubt Emelin taunts or insults anybody after his bodychecks since he can't speak english properly. A real hockey player should be able to accept that getting hit is part of the game. All the goons going for players after a big clean hit demean the game of hockey.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
They can't force him to fight. Plus doesn't he wear a full visor ? Eh if guys want to break their hands on his visor and get instigators I'm all for it.

These are grown men making millions and you hit and take out a player making millions. I think he might have to drop the gloves.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
They can't force him to fight. Plus doesn't he wear a full visor ? Eh if guys want to break their hands on his visor and get instigators I'm all for it.

Hey Im not Don Cherry but there is another topic I would love to discuss.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
The arguments brought forth by one "charlie" are completely irrational.

On a more related note, I think that Emelin could become a complementary 1st pairing guy if Markov helps him in his development and if he gets a good chunk of ice time this year. He's a great skater for his size. He can make strong accurate passes. He hits like a truck. He has decent offensive instincts even though his stick-handling and shot aren't up to par to make him an attractive PP option IMO. If he improves his decision making in his own zone which Markov and a lot of playing time could help him with, I think he could reach the level of a great second pairing or complementary first pairing defenseman.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
These are grown men making millions and you hit and take out a player making millions. I think he might have to drop the gloves.

Nope. He has a metal plate in his face and fighting is not something you need to do if you play hockey. It has its place in the game but players who play cleanly should not have to fight regardless of what Pejorative Slured steroid freaks like Malone believe.

BTW here is what happens if people want to fight Emelin :

Malone received a two-minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, five minutes for fighting and an aggressor game misconduct.
What irked Malone is that Emelin did not fight back.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...s-not-old-school-hockey-its-pretty-much-hocke

Poor little baby...

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Nope. He has a metal plate in his face and fighting is not something you need to do if you play hockey. It has its place in the game but players who play cleanly should not have to fight regardless of what Pejorative Slured steroid freaks like Malone believe.

Oh so metal plate in face = no me cant fight
metal plate in face = me can destroy yours though.

lol

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Oh so metal plate in face = no me cant fight
metal plate in face = me can destroy yours though.

lol

It means he can play the game of hockey within the rules. The rules say you can make body checks. The rules say you cannot fight. There is no penalty for giving a body check. There is a penalty for fighting.

Fighting is technically an unwanted behavior within the game. Body checking is not.

If you play hockey you should expect to get hit, sometimes very hard. And if it's clean, the guy who made the check shouldn't be forced to fight, metal plates or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad