Alexei Emelin - Future # 1 Defenseman?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
If he can become a darius kasparaitis aka a 3rd shutdown dman that can dish out big hits and put up 15-25 points i would be happy.

I would pair him with Markov this year and see what he can do when playing 18 minutes per game. He was good last year but there is much room for improvement.

I think our d will look good when tinordi matures and become the big top 4 shutdown dman we desperatly need.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Dear lord, there's lots of Rec hockey and non violent curling you people can watch for all you anti fighting people. Hard to believe it's become that popular to hate fighting that's always been part of the game. I can only imagine how much you people would have cried when Rocket Richard was playing.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Dear lord, there's lots of Rec hockey and non violent curling you people can watch for all you anti fighting people. Hard to believe it's become that popular to hate fighting that's always been part of the game. I can only imagine how much you people would have cried when Rocket Richard was playing.

you may not know, but there's this thing called evolution.

Last edited:

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

Hard to believe its become popular to hate slavery, thats always been a part of life! You guys would have cried when the Egyptians whipped thousands to death to build pyramids... :shakehead

- Random guy in southern USA, 19th century

(In other words its possible to appreciate the past but we have to accept that things change, sometimes its for the better. I appreciate Maurice Richard's courage but wouldn't it have been better if he didn't have to fight and play while being concussed? It makes for great stories but these guys risked their friggin lives and health)

hogtownhabsfan*

Emelin and Diaz will be a luxury on the third pairing going forward.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
anyone know what he was like in KHL so far this year didn't see anything on him

He was outperforming Markov in the KHL

Emelin
2012-13 Kazan Ak-Bars KHL 24gp 2g 7a 9pts 40pim

Markov
2012-13 Chekhov Vityaz KHL 21gp 1g 4a 5pts 16pim

I could easily see these two forming a great pairing together. Emelin has the size we need on D at 6'2 and 225 pounds. The guy makes opposing players think twice before going into the corners or cutting across the middle. I think he has great upside this year after adjusting to the NHL game last season. He'll be even better with Markov to mentor him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Emelin

Markov

I could easily see these two forming a great pairing together. Emelin has the size we need on D at 6'2 and 225 pounds. The guy makes opposing players think twice before going into the corners or cutting across the middle. I think he has great upside this year after adjusting to the NHL game last season. He'll be even better with Markov to mentor him.
Both made KHL all star team oddly enough (one was a media pick, the other was a league pick).

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
He's barely a bottom pairing defenseman. He still has a lot of adaptation to do. Right now he's all big hits but very little of everything else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's barely a bottom pairing defenseman. He still has a lot of adaptation to do. Right now he's all big hits but very little of everything else.

I disagree completely. He was settling in nicely until he started getting flipflopped around by the coaches. You also have to consider the fact he came from the KHL.
Room to improve, definitely, but he had a good season considering everything last year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I disagree completely. He was settling in nicely until he started getting flipflopped around by the coaches. You also have to consider the fact he came from the KHL.
Room to improve, definitely, but he had a good season considering everything last year.

Subban and Gorges aside, everyone on D was.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal

Emelin

Markov

You have to consider that Emelin is used to this league, he played there the last 8 years or so. Markov is a better defenceman right now.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Emelin is baaaad.

Still can't believe we gave him a 2 years contract.

Would we have been better off letting him walk for not immediately adapting to the NHL on what was a terrible team?

Emelin started off very bad, got progressively better for a while, and then had an awful end to the season where it was very likely he was either injured or merely exhausted (Similar to Diaz). A 2 year contract for little money was ideal.

Would you rather see more Boullion or Weber?

NewHabsEra*

Emelin has everything to become a very good third defenseman..

NewHabsEra*

Emelin is baaaad.

Still can't believe we gave him a 2 years contract.

Hopefully thats sarcasm cause if not, thats a very bad lack of hockey knowledge, the kid progressed extremmely well last year and you clearly can see the potential..

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Why do prople sayins he's a 5th dman ? I don't see who is better than him except for Markov , Subban and Gorges .he's already a 4th dman.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why do prople sayins he's a 5th dman ? I don't see who is better than him except for Markov , Subban and Gorges .he's already a 4th dman.

Because he's ideally a 5th defender on a good team. Obviously we don't have a very good team.

He definitely has a good chance to establish himself as a legit Top 4 guy though.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I expect Emelin and Diaz to be quite a bit better than last year. Add the return of Markov and the defense should be improved substantially compared to last year.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Emelin is an interesting case since he has a lot of great tools to work with. He's a furious hitter, has some good hands and showed he could potentially contribute offensively.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Definitely has all the tools to become a solid top 4 defenseman, doubt he can be a first pairing guy but he should become a very solid second pairing guy.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

Emelin

Markov

It's funny how relatively high is penalty minutes get in KHL. NHL he barely gets any. I know NHL is more physical league but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->