Alexei Emelin - Future # 1 Defenseman?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Probably not

It's not like he's a 19 year old with huge upside, he's 26 with a full year on the smaller ice. He looked good at times last year but he also was directly responsible for a lot of goals on plays where a good defensive defenceman would not have been beaten. I hope he's just crap on his offside and Therien, or Therien's replacement, knows enough to play him on the side he can play.

At times last year I thought all the habs were missing was a healthy Markov. If he can play 30 solid minutes a night again (or even 25 pretty solid ones) and Subban does about the same there are not that many minutes left over for the other pairings and lots of opportunities for those guys to look good. We 'll see.

If he looks OK but not great pair him with Markov, pad his stats, and deal him at the deadline. If he becomes a number one the team will be good.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
Subban is and will be the number 1 dman on this team for a long long time. I'll be happy if he becomes a great #5.

Reactions: MC94

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He could be used as a #2 if paired with the right defenseman, but that's about it. Ideally, he'll turn into a top 4 shutdown dman, who could, ideally put up a few points every now and again.

Myron Gaines*

He could be used as a #2 if paired with the right defenseman, but that's about it. Ideally, he'll turn into a top 4 shutdown dman, who could, ideally put up a few points every now and again.

I'd be ecstatic if Emelin becomes a 25 pts hard hitting shutdown defenceman.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
maybe a top pairing guy because of his complimentary skills...but I think he'll be one of the best at what he does in a couple years once he makes all the adjustments. really, really enjoy his style of play.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Personally the day the NHL decides to join ALL the major leagues in the world and ban fighting, I will be a happy fan. Until then, Emelin will carry a huge target: the guy plays an extremely physical game but, for medical reasons, he can't fight. I expect him to become a solid contributor to this team but I hope Malone won't become for Emelin what Lucic is for Komisarek.

That being mentioned... I wish Therrien intends to use him as a LD.

PS just for the record: one should not have to fight after a hard and clean hit but eh… we are chatting about the NHL here!

Habtchum*

Hopefully he makes the step up from a #6 to a #5 defenseman this year, then we can talk.

The guy will be 27 next April.

I am expecting him to be a solid #5 this year with lots of hits ans a better +/- stat.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
not #1, but with the return of markov i expect nice progress from him this season. they will make a nice combo

if he can get some pp time with markov i expect him to get more goals, he has a good shot.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Personally the day the NHL decides to join ALL the major leagues in the world and ban fighting, I will be a happy fan. Until then, Emelin will carry a huge target: the guy plays an extremely physical game but, for medical reasons, he can't fight. I expect him to become a solid contributor to this team but I hope Malone won't become for Emelin what Lucic is for Komisarek.

That being mentioned... I wish Therrien intends to use him as a LD.

PS just for the record: one should not have to fight after a hard and clean hit but eh… we are chatting about the NHL here!
Prust can take care of Malone

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I think he has great potential, last year he was getting used to a new style of play, playing on the wrong side, new culture, language, etc. But we will see.

Yozzy

Feb 19, 2012
Diaz ftw. Anyone think if something happened, and either Subban, Gorges, or Markov couldn't play, Diaz and Emelin could form a solid second pairing?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Diaz ftw. Anyone think if something happened, and either Subban, Gorges, or Markov couldn't play, Diaz and Emelin could form a solid second pairing?

I see the potential to be a good 2nd pairing from both, depending on how well they learn from past mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad