Prospect Info: Alexandre Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I'm a 100% Quebec music guy. Including Kain. Apart from that group, I don't have anyone in particular. I'm going to see the successes on iMusic and that's what I'm listening to.”

“Younger, I got sick and spent time in the hospital. It made me realize that domain fascinates me. That's why I put a lot of effort on my studies because I know that my passion is really there. It keeps me doors open. I don't remember about the pourcentages about my spinal cord tumor in 2013. But the paralysis was very possible. I told them (doctors) to take it off as soon as possible. I didn't think at that moment, I'll earn my living as an athlete. I wasn't able to walk. It was a stressful sensation. It goes into the body, you feel yourself helpless. The cancer is a war against oneself.”

“To be a family guy, having the chance to be close to my girlfriend and my friends and play in front of them is a huge plus for me.”

“I like the open-air activities including hiking. Of course, outside of sport the medical world interests me a lot.”

“Growing up, I watched players like Patrice Bergeron who's from Quebec like me. On summer time, I train with Jonathan Marchesseault and Yanni Gourde, two players who showed a lot of perseverance, having never been drafted. These are examples to follow. To train with them, it really allows me to push myself.”

“I took two distance learning courses at Laval University. One in nutrition and the other in entrepreneurship. If I go back to medicine or physiotherapy program, they will be credited. On the other side, at this moment I'm focusing more on hockey. To be the spokesman of Saint-Jerome College and to promote studies it's such an honor.”

“I needed to this adaptation (QMJHL to AHL) and I just wanted to do it as quickly as possible. In my opinion, I played well since the beginning of the year. But to contribute offensively, it's certainly fun for me. But also for the team.”

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-9_13-12-35.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Cerebral forward Alexandre Alain blossoms with Rocket

“When I signed my contract two years ago, continuing school was part of my plans since the beginning. My mother always told me if I work hard in hockey, I need to put the same amount of effort in school.”

“At least I know I've a backup plan (medicine or pharmaceutical). Everyone says it’s a Plan B, but I’m going to have to quit hockey at some point and it’s going to become my Plan A.”

“It’s possible to do both (sports/studies). Some think they can’t go to school because they’re playing hockey. If you (make excuses) it’s not good for you. You can do both if you want to … if you do the work. It’s hard. You need to be organized.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
In my opinion, soon or later Alain could be a potential choice for captaincy with the Laval Rocket...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Laval Rocket season review: Alexandre Alain took another step forward

“Alain finished top-five in both goals and points among Rocket players. his was despite him not really having a top-line role, and even a top-six role for the vast majority of the season. In a way, that makes Alain’s potential path to the NHL clearer. Undrafted players like Alain don't end up in top-six roles in the NHL, and he doesn’t have that kind of offensive upside to do so. Yet a lot of his impact does come offensively. He has a great shot that he uses in multiple ways, and he does have a good amount of skill. The biggest strength of his game may be his shot. It’s something that he used a ton in Junior. It’s perhaps at its best from the left circle where he can fire off one-timers.”

“Alain contributes to the Rocket on the second power-play unit, and also plays a significant role on the penalty kill. but Alain is a player whose effort all over the ice complements his skill level, and the combination could make him a potential depth player on an NHL team.”

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
In my opinion, soon or later Alain could be a potential choice for captaincy with the Laval Rocket...
I don't know of a captain, but I could easily see him wear an "A" for most of his tenure. I kinda see him maybe making the NHL as P-A Parenteau. He's a very smart kid and if his offense doesn't develop, I can see him as a role player, whether it's in the AHL or NHL. 5th in scoring with limited minutes. A good shot.
Anyway, considering Xavier Ouellet is the captain and there are no Weber caliber leaders in Laval (on top of my head), Alain could turn out to be the captain after all.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't know of a captain, but I could easily see him wear an "A" for most of his tenure. I kinda see him maybe making the NHL as P-A Parenteau. He's a very smart kid and if his offense doesn't develop, I can see him as a role player, whether it's in the AHL or NHL. 5th in scoring with limited minutes. A good shot.
Anyway, considering Xavier Ouellet is the captain and there are no Weber caliber leaders in Laval (on top of my head), Alain could turn out to be the captain after all.

Ouellet is apparently a pretty decent Captain.

Rocket captain Xavier Ouellet earned call-up from Canadiens | Montreal Gazette
“He deserves to be up here and that’s what we’re doing. There’s no doubt he’s been a great leader for them there. A great captain, good person. He has all those qualities, so I’m happy that he’s getting another opportunity here because as much as he’s happy there and being that leader, I’m sure he’s happier being in the NHL.”

Xavier Ouellet shone as the Laval Rocket’s veteran leader
That might be the most important part of Ouellet’s game this year in Laval. He was the defensive leader for the young prospects, and allowed them to bloom a bit while playing with him.
He was named captain of the club after Byron Froese was traded to Philadelphia before the deadline, and it’s obvious that his leadership on and off the ice was great for the team.

At this point, I'm not 100% on giving Alain another NHL contract in 2021. Next season is key for him to earn an NHL contract instead of an AHL one. Especially since Fairbrother, RHP, Ikonen and Leguerrier will all need deals in addition to Caufield and Harris probably signing deals, things will get tight with contract space. He needs to show he has either NHL or at least great AHL vet potential considering he may get the vet status after 2021-2022 depending on games played (128 games left to vet status, so 64 per year to be a vet in 2022-2023).

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Ouellet is apparently a pretty decent Captain.

Rocket captain Xavier Ouellet earned call-up from Canadiens | Montreal Gazette
Xavier Ouellet shone as the Laval Rocket’s veteran leader

At this point, I'm not 100% on giving Alain another NHL contract in 2021. Next season is key for him to earn an NHL contract instead of an AHL one. Especially since Fairbrother, RHP, Ikonen and Leguerrier will all need deals in addition to Caufield and Harris probably signing deals, things will get tight with contract space. He needs to show he has either NHL or at least great AHL vet potential considering he may get the vet status after 2021-2022 depending on games played (128 games left to vet status, so 64 per year to be a vet in 2022-2023).
I don't know how many 2-way contracts can be given, but I would also wait before giving Alain a 2021 a 2-way contract.

A few years down the line maybe, but right now? - In a full season, he might hit 20 goals if things go right.
Oh and I'm not too familiar vet status and all but he maybe works out like a Gabriel Dumont. Now a AHL vet who can check in when injuries hit the big club. Bouchard and Alain have been working together for a few years now so it looks like he's here to stay.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't know how many 2-way contracts can be given, but I would also wait before giving Alain a 2021 a 2-way contract.

A few years down the line maybe, but right now? - In a full season, he might hit 20 goals if things go right.
Oh and I'm not too familiar vet status and all but he maybe works out like a Gabriel Dumont. Now a AHL vet who can check in when injuries hit the big club. Bouchard and Alain have been working together for a few years now so it looks like he's here to stay.

There is no limit of 2-way contracts themselves, but there is a 50 NHL contract limit (1-way or 2-way).

For the vet status, you can have 6 skaters that have 320 or more AHL/NHL games including at least one between 260 and 320. All calculations are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

My brain farted and I thought it was 260, so Alain would be a 320 vet in 2023-2024.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

No loss and frees a contract spot up.

Pretty much. He was a good depth player for Laval. But with the influx of prospects about to start their pro career (also some to make their NA debut like Ylonen and Khisamutdinov), as well as the returning players from last year, it makes sense that there was no room for Alain.

And he's been very good with his academic studies. He was named Student of the Year in the QMJHL and he also spoke about how he continued his studies while playing for the Rocket. So even if he opts to not return for a hockey career, this kid is going to have a bright future.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Good for him. At some point, you got to see that the dream is over, and for some of us mere mortals that dream doesn't include a stop in the NHL. At least he got to play pro, plus I'm sure the university he goes to will love having him on their team.

Reactions: QuebecPride

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is a kid, depending on what he wants to do.. that you keep tabs on, and if he comes back with a very useful degree and intelligence, would be the type of person you bring into the organization and groom.

Not f***ing.. Steve Ott who just finished licking a visor and is suddenly developing prospects.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This is a kid, depending on what he wants to do.. that you keep tabs on, and if he comes back with a very useful degree and intelligence, would be the type of person you bring into the organization and groom.

Not f***ing.. Steve Ott who just finished licking a visor and is suddenly developing prospects.

:laugh:

This made me burst out laughing.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Interesting choice, maybe he's just taking a year off t0 stack up on some certifications or academic credits. This would be the right year for him to sit out, who knows if the AHL season will happen and he won't be in the NHL. Maybe he's just making a smart choice and taking care of his academics in a year where he wasn't going to play anyway. If he loves hockey he'll come back. But for right now I'm happy because it helps out the Habs short term

He could still play in the AHL or a nice country like Switzerland or Sweden for the next decade

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Was never a kid with a legit shot. Just a response from the organization for the lack of Q players. But like @WeThreeKings said, type of guy you most definately keep an eye on depending if later he wants a job in the organization in any capacity. Kudos to him for realizing where he is at.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
that's a good point about having him work for the organization down the road if he wants to go that route. We know Bouchard likes him and hopefully he's here for a long time

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Interesting timing on his decision. Curious why he waited until the announcement of our training camp roster. Perhaps that was the writing on the wall when he didn't get an invite. Curious if he went back to University in September as a trial and decided he wants to stick with it with second semester starting soon.

In the end, I don't think we we're going to renew his contract next year so a plus to have one more contract (I believe we're at 47/50 now) and more ice time in Laval for some of our CHL guys if their seasons don't resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad