Player Discussion: Alexander Romanov

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I wouldn’t call Darius Russian to his face, he might no like that. He’s Lithuanian.
He played for Russia in international events - it's his own fault if people think he's Russian. Of course, that was a very different time.

Kaspar was our guy, I suppose, but he exemplified so much that was wrong with how people hit in the NHL - he was almost never level through his hits. You could tell his intent when his timing wasn't perfect, and he jumped prior to the hit. Darcy Tucker probably learned the jumping low bridge from Kasparaitis. I guess people think of him fondly, but I really don't.

Romanov doesn't remind me of Kasparaitis at all. He's not undersized (lol) at all. He's built like an ox, but is very agile for all that. His hits are hard, level, and clean. It's a good thing too, because if he hit like Kasparaitis did, he might kill someone. And while Romanov is often too quick to chuck the puck away toward the blueline, he isn't totally dependent upon the other in his pair like Kasparaitis was.

I can't help thinking of Kasparaitis when watching Romanov play. Romo is relatively undersized at 6'1,
I don't know what to say to a person who thinks 6'1 215 is 'relatively undersized'. Relative to what? Tight ends and defensive linemen?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He played for Russia in international events - it's his own fault if people think he's Russian. Of course, that was a very different time.

Kaspar was our guy, I suppose, but he exemplified so much that was wrong with how people hit in the NHL - he was almost never level through his hits. You could tell his intent when his timing wasn't perfect, and he jumped prior to the hit. Darcy Tucker probably learned the jumping low bridge from Kasparaitis. I guess people think of him fondly, but I really don't.

Romanov doesn't remind me of Kasparaitis at all. He's not undersized (lol) at all. He's built like an ox, but is very agile for all that. His hits are hard, level, and clean. It's a good thing too, because if he hit like Kasparaitis did, he might kill someone. And while Romanov is often too quick to chuck the puck away toward the blueline, he isn't totally dependent upon the other in his pair like Kasparaitis was.

I don't know what to say to a person who thinks 6'1 215 is 'relatively undersized'. Relative to what? Tight ends and defensive linemen?

With the rage for long and rangy defenseman who are 6'3+ in the NHL ranks, I was just implying Romo is not some physical beast. I agree he is very solidly built and very strong, he doesn't rely on sheer size for his physicality compared to others that play as physical of a game as he does.

I do remember Kasparaitis fondly, that 92-93 team was very special for me and probably why my mind gravitates to that Era so often for comparisons. As mentioned before, it's probably why I think of Malakhov when watching Dobson too. I agree that Romo is less reliant on Dobber than Kaspar was on Malakhov back then.

As a budding pair, I am looking forward to seeing the Romo-Dobber chemistry develop for a while.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
From the post dynasty-team up until the Lou/Trotz era, the 1993 team (and Kasparaitis in particular) is one of the few things I remember fondly.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
With the rage for long and rangy defenseman who are 6'3+ in the NHL ranks, I was just implying Romo is not some physical beast. I agree he is very solidly built and very strong, he doesn't rely on sheer size for his physicality compared to others that play as physical of a game as he does.

I do remember Kasparaitis fondly, that 92-93 team was very special for me and probably why my mind gravitates to that Era so often for comparisons. As mentioned before, it's probably why I think of Malakhov when watching Dobson too. I agree that Romo is less reliant on Dobber than Kaspar was on Malakhov back then.

As a budding pair, I am looking forward to seeing the Romo-Dobber chemistry develop for a while.
their future's so bright, they gotta wear shades.

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

In today's NHL, Kaspar would get 2, 5 and 10 and a game with intent to injure and Mario would be awarded 3 penalty shots

"Miss the Net" would call out Kaspar and all of Long Island

Don Cherry would call for the deportation of all Russians in Canada

Jack Edwards would need to change his Depends, with a smile on his face

Ken Burns would make a 9-part series on how Putin was to blame, even though it was well before his time

And the DEI community would call for new courses to combat white supremacy Russians

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
In today's NHL, Kaspar would get 2, 5 and 10 and a game with intent to injure and Mario would be awarded 3 penalty shots

"Miss the Net" would call out Kaspar and all of Long Island

Don Cherry would call for the deportation of all Russians in Canada

Jack Edwards would need to change his Depends, with a smile on his face

Ken Burns would make a 9-part series on how Putin was to blame, even though it was well before his time

And the DEI community would call for new courses to combat white supremacy Russians
And your posts would still be insufferable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad