Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
First time seeing Romanov, really like the way he played today and what a great shot!
I remember on draft day nobody knew who he was and many were concerned that it was a wasted pick. When Timmins was questioned about Romanov after the draft, he had a huge smile on his face and was genuinely excited about the pick.

He does play with a certain flair. That flair reminds me of Dumba and Subban. We'll see whether it translates to the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When they drafted him, they said they were hoping for an Emelin type of d

I think that's what turned a lot of people off of the pick. I think Timmins was talking about his ability to hit, as opposed to his overall game - I hope at least he wasn't projecting Romanov to have Emelin's hockey sense, positional play, and puck skills, or lack thereof.

When I bring Subban and Dumba up, I'm talking about the flair he plays with, not any other aspects of his game. Would be shocked if he's anywhere near as good as them offensively.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I think that's what turned a lot of people off of the pick. I think Timmins was talking about his ability to hit, as opposed to his overall game - I hope at least he wasn't projecting Romanov to have Emelin's hockey sense, positional play, and puck skills, or lack thereof.

When I bring Subban and Dumba up, I'm talking about the flair he plays with, not any other aspects of his game. Would be shocked if he's anywhere near as good as them offensively.
I hope his ceiling is higher as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It seems we have another rich set of d prospects.

The first wave: Subban, McDonagh, Emelin, Y. Weber, Fischer, Carle, O'byrne, Torp ended up having a few gems.

The second wave: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Lernout, Dietz, Morgan Ellis, Koberstein, Didier, Mac Bennet, Nygren, Thrower were real duds.

The new wave: Juulsen, Sergachev, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Tsyka, Walford, Romanov, Harris might not have as many high end guys as the 1st wave, but may have more depth.

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
It seems we have another rich set of d prospects.

The first wave: Subban, McDonagh, Emelin, Y. Weber, Fischer, Carle, O'byrne, Torp ended up having a few gems.

The second wave: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Lernout, etc... were real duds.

The new wave: Juulsen, Sergachev, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Tsyka, Walford, Romanov, Hillis might not have as many high end guys as the 1st wave, but may have more depth.

Hillis is a forward. Add Harris, who has more upside than Walford and Tyszka imo.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
couldn't watch the game but 1 goal 2 assits for romanov is impressive even if it's agaisnt the danes

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Great to see another one of our prospects playing so well. Maybe it's wishful thinking but things really seem to be going right for Montreal lately.

To be fair we had 11 picks last year, 6 in top 71...

Another 5 in the top 87 the year prior.

If we didn't see some good prospects come up I'd be concerned. 11 picks in first 3 rounds over 2 years, nearly double what most teams get(6).

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Romanov was great, excited to see more.

WTH with our Swedish scouting. The league is full of top 6 Swedish players, and we have not found one since Mats Naslund.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Mac Bennet was drafted because his relatives were big and they thought he might grow while still skating well.

Romanov was picked for his all around game, only question is whether they could have taken him 2 rounds later and taken another good prospect early. Impossible to know so just have to hope he works out.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Mac Bennet was drafted because his relatives were big and they thought he might grow while still skating well.

Romanov was picked for his all around game, only question is whether they could have taken him 2 rounds later and taken another good prospect early. Impossible to know so just have to hope he works out.

My understanding is that Habs thought another team just above them was going to take him so they felt they had to move on him earlier to ensure they drafted him. Not ideal but given we still got Ylonen, it worked out just fine.

Reactions: dralaf

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Romanov was great, excited to see more.

WTH with our Swedish scouting. The league is full of top 6 Swedish players, and we have not found one since Mats Naslund.

We seem to be focused on other parts of europe. I like the Finns, I like da Rooksies

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
They said an Emelin with more jump... That comparison was mostly made because of his physical game...

This, and I think because of his skating style, great balance and lower body strength already.

But I also remember someone bringing Markov into the mix when the comparison game came up... at least, just the way he skates with the puck, he's damn fluid and he sees everything at all time.

It was against the Danes, but still can't wait to see what he can do in his next game.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It's funny, Romanov was probably the most hated pick this last draft (which was fair), it's very early but right now this looks like the pick that could make Timmins look like a genius.

There's legitimate concerns about his upside, his offense so far has been lacking against better competition. However..the tools are definitely there. He's a pretty complete player from what I can see, and he already shows plenty of smarts on the defensive end. The only real question I see is whether or not he has any offensive vision.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Looks like Russia's #1D and he'll be back next year. Not to imply anything about their future/potential, but he looks better than Sergachev ever did at the WJC

Reactions: Redux91

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's funny, Romanov was probably the most hated pick this last draft (which was fair), it's very early but right now this looks like the pick that could make Timmins look like a genius.

There's legitimate concerns about his upside, his offense so far has been lacking against better competition. However..the tools are definitely there. He's a pretty complete player from what I can see, and he already shows plenty of smarts on the defensive end. The only real question I see is whether or not he has any offensive vision.

He would be racking up points like crazy right now if he would be playing in the CHL! There's clearly some hidden offense in this guy, a great slap shot and the ability to pass the puck with quite some accuracy and offensive mindset.

Timmins might've hit a good one with this kid.

His offensive KHL stats are irrelevant, the thing that he's playing D at 18 years old in the KHL is already quite an accomplishment.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Not worried about his lack of offense in the KHL as an 18 year old D man. We can't forget that it was amazing that he made the league at all on a very good team to boot. We'll see how he does against better teams. He also had that really nice goal in the pre-tourney as well. Forgot who it was against.

My concerns were that he just didn't have the puck skills and/or creativity to get excited about taking him that high. Loved his skating, strength, shot and compete but thought skill and creativity were lacking. Can't just go on one game but he just flat out looks better with the puck on his stick than I thought. I don't know about his passing/creativity in the O zone but the puck skills are there. They're not incredible but quite good.

God forgive me for the comparison but he looks like a less skilled young PK. The dynamic skating (when PK was a rookie), big shot, strong and how competitive he is. Doesn't have the superior puck skills or the great passing. I'm pretty excited.

Reactions: dralaf and Belial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad