Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I hadn't seen Romanov play until last night and I must say I'm impressed. He's a smooth skater, keeps things simple and has got a decent vision. The goal he scored was a hell of a shot. I guess I'm going to have to follow Team Russia's games afterall haha

Reactions: cphabs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It seems we have another rich set of d prospects.

The first wave: Subban, McDonagh, Emelin, Y. Weber, Fischer, Carle, O'byrne, Torp ended up having a few gems.

The second wave: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Lernout, etc... were real duds.

The new wave: Juulsen, Sergachev, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Tsyka, Walford, Romanov, Harris might not have as many high end guys as the 1st wave, but may have more depth.

You forgot Patch he was drafted the same year as Subban. This was a very good wave of prospects and personally i feel like we should have done better than we did with it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's funny, Romanov was probably the most hated pick this last draft (which was fair), it's very early but right now this looks like the pick that could make Timmins look like a genius.

There's legitimate concerns about his upside, his offense so far has been lacking against better competition. However..the tools are definitely there. He's a pretty complete player from what I can see, and he already shows plenty of smarts on the defensive end. The only real question I see is whether or not he has any offensive vision.

He was but at the same time i feel like it was more the position he was drafted than the player. Anyway for me it was. I mean we had four 2nd round picks and i felt back then that he would still be available at the end of the 2nd round where we had two picks. Even if he pans out it doesn't mean it was the right choice if he was still going to be available at the end of the 2nd (we will never know) and one of the player drafted right after him becomes elite.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You forgot Patch he was drafted the same year as Subban. This was a very good wave of prospects and personally i feel like we should have done better than we did with it.

He is talking about defenseman I believe in the post you quoted.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Kind of hard to do that, once you've traded the 2nd best player in the bunch for Gomez.

Reactions: LaP

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He looked better yesterday than Mete looked at any point as a 19 year old...

Maybe Romanov isn't that far away....

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's funny, Romanov was probably the most hated pick this last draft (which was fair), it's very early but right now this looks like the pick that could make Timmins look like a genius.

There's legitimate concerns about his upside, his offense so far has been lacking against better competition. However..the tools are definitely there. He's a pretty complete player from what I can see, and he already shows plenty of smarts on the defensive end. The only real question I see is whether or not he has any offensive vision.

And understandably, it had to be the most hated 'cause what's Timmins record with out of left field picks? But right now, he is the one, today, that looks the best. Now....it's mostly because he is playing great. But also because the 2 guys that should shine in Suzuki and Brook don't. Concerning? Nope. Just saying how it is right now in this tournament. Whatever that means....positively or negatively.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I was just talking about the d prospects.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Emelin also looked good aside from the offense. But it turned out he didn't know how to play defense either.

Romanov is big time on my radar. But I'm going to have to see him in the AHL or NHL before I really believe he's good enough defensively and/or offensively to be a top 4 NHLer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And understandably, it had to be the most hated 'cause what's Timmins record with out of left field picks? But right now, he is the one, today, that looks the best. Now....it's mostly because he is playing great. But also because the 2 guys that should shine in Suzuki and Brook don't. Concerning? Nope. Just saying how it is right now in this tournament. Whatever that means....positively or negatively.

There's a lot to be excited about this latest wave of prospects (2015-2018). They could all bust, but we'll see. My sense is there's more depth than the 2003-2007 years, but less high end players:

d prospects: Sergachev, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Romanov, Fleury, Harris, Tyszka, Walford.

offense: Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Ylonen, Olufsen, Ikonen, Fonstad, Stapley etc...

goalie: Primeau

Plus MB added Suzuki and turned Sergachev into Drouin.

As per usual with Timmins, the D prospect pool looks better than the offensive pool. Thank god for Kotkaniemi. If Sergachev, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Romanov, Fleury are all top 4 that's some serious drafting. But it will be interesting to see how many really make it. Guys like Tinordi, Dietz, Ellis, and Beaulieu never took the next step after junior or the AHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Markov. Maybe I'm wrong.

But more realistically, you're looking at a step below that and a bit more physical.
Kid is a player and disciplined. IMO? He’ll be as good as we allow him to be. Too much skill and discipline to project.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Like most of you I was a little apprehensive with this pick. The more I see and read about Romanov, the more I'm looking forward to what the future holds for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Redux91

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Markov. Maybe I'm wrong.

But more realistically, you're looking at a step below that and a bit more physical.

That's my opinion also. Very similar skater to Markov and he's also as calm as Markov when making plays. A little bit more physical but nothing over the top. Just need to see if it'll translate to the NHL.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Markov. Maybe I'm wrong.

I see Vladimir Konstantinov in him.

A bit undersized, yet good and balanced skater, physical and annoying to play against, yet skilled enough to consistently contribute on the scoresheet.

Do I think he'll be as good ? I try to stay grounded, so no.

Do I hope he will be as good ? Damn right I do.

Reactions: cphabs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Haven't seen him play. Which player does he remind you of?

I personally think he looks like a less skilled PK but my references are pretty habcentric.

I see him more than Markov which I don't get. Romanov has the big shot, strength/physicality and compete that PK did. I don't see Markov's playmaking or ridiculous IQ. He seems smart but not overtly cerebral like Markov.

Reactions: No More Subban

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I personally think he looks like a less skilled PK but my references are pretty habcentric.

I see him more than Markov which I don't get. Romanov has the big shot, strength/physicality and compete that PK did. I don't see Markov's playmaking or ridiculous IQ. He seems smart but not overtly cerebral like Markov.
No dman will ever be as smart as Markov for a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->