Player Discussion Alexander Radulov III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
His wife divorced him last month. She preferred Mother Russia. Said that their values differred.

She hated Montreal. Left in the middle of the season with the kid. Explains his sulking during mid-season. People thought he was injured. Losing your family suddenly must not help.

Could be a good reason wh he doesn't want to sign a very long deal? He might want to go back in Russia in 3-4 years to live close to his kid?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How can someone honestly hate Montréal? I get they were in Moscow before, but come on.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Radulov and his wife splited a couple of times during his time in the KHL. Not sure it has to do with Montréal.

Apr 28, 2010
His wife divorced him last month. She preferred Mother Russia. Said that their values differred.

She hated Montreal. Left in the middle of the season with the kid. Explains his sulking during mid-season. People thought he was injured. Losing your family suddenly must not help.

Holy ****

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Laraque didn't say that Radulov signed a deal, he said he's heard rumors that Radulov's signed a 3-year deal with the Habs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Laraque didn't say that Radulov signed a deal, he said he's heard rumors that Radulov's signed a 3-year deal with the Habs.

Sure thing.

I never said Laraque is an attention *****. I just heard one of my friends over at the BBQ yesterday saying he's got solid proof that Laraque is an attention *****. Don't shoot the messenger and so on...

You either put your balls on the table, or you shut up. When it comes to Laraque, it's hard to tell what's he's trying to pull.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If he signs could Vegas pick him up?

Yes. That is why if this report is true, they won't put pen to paper until after the draft.

He can't sign until Thursday at the earliest, after the expansion draft is completed.

There is a trade freeze and moratorium on contract signings right now while the expansion draft is taking place. No team other then Vegas can sign a player to a contract. And no teams can make a trade that doesn't include Vegas as one of the trade partners.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
We have to look at history.

Back in 2008, Radulov was not happy with the contract offered to him by Nashville.
So he left for Russia.

We know there was an offer for two years on the table from the Wings.

Maybe he is going to go for the highest total: Term + Money.
So he took one year to prove his value.

Now he is ready for UFA.

BTW, there is a reason why a lot of Russian players are coming to NA.
The rouble was a 3.3 cents in 2013 now it is a 1.7 cents.
Also teams are closing in KHL and they now have a SCap.
Mettalurg has ceased operation and Zagreb is now in another league.
Seven of the KHL’s 29 teams are “regularly†late with salaries and some players have been waiting over six months for payment.

“The KHL will not stand for this,†Chernyshenko said.

From 27 teams next season, the KHL will cut three more for the 2018-19 season, Chernyshenko said. A statistical rating system measuring teams’ on-ice ability, their finances and crowd appeal will be used to determine who quits the league.

The league also plans to lower the salary cap and close some loopholes which help big spenders. That could make the league more competitive and reduce the dominance of wealthy teams like CSKA Moscow and SKA St. Petersburg, which are funded by state-owned oil and gas companies.
BTW, Novokuznetsk Metallurg is closing but Magnitogorsk Metallurg won championship last year.

This is why Shipachev, Panarin, Radulov, Dadonov, Zaitsev, Jerabek, Kovalchuck are leaving.
Also a lot of young Russian players come here to play their last season before the draft in the CHL.

Point I am trying to make is that Radulov should go after the most money if his past behavior is to be used to determine where he is going to sign.

As for Bergevin, he does not want to have a player that is too old to perform.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I hate it. Great for a weekend or a week. More than that I just cant.

Okay but I presume you are from a smaller area because the only city larger in Canada is Toronto. I find it weird that people can love a booming metropolis like Moscow over a more quiet, yet still large, Montreal. But to each their own.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I heard about the divorce but how true is Radulov's wife not liking Montreal and leaving half way through last season? Where did you hear this?

cap10bfl

Apr 18, 2007
Laval, Qc
I never believed Radulov would get 7 or 8 years given his history. Because being 31 a team couldn't get out of the contract if it goes bad. The 35+ rule.

The 35+ rule only applies if the player signs a contract at 35 or older

Radulov wouldn't count as a 35+ contract if he signed a 7-8 year deal today

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
3 years allows him to sign a final contract afterwards, before he's 35. So it also helps him in ways.

Also I think 3 years takes his contract to the new CBA. There might be big changes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
3 years allows him to sign a final contract afterwards, before he's 35. So it also helps him in ways.

Also I think 3 years takes his contract to the new CBA. There might be big changes.

I'd give him a 4 or 5 year deal. That takes him to age 34 or 35 and he gets likely somewhere around $26-33M in that span. He then can decide to head back to Russia or sign another 4 or 5 year NHL contract and avoid the 35+ issue.

I'd also give him a 6-8 year deal but then the AAV goes down a lot! 8 years at $5M max. That's a very manageable cap hit for a top 6 player over that span. Of course I would avoid a contract over 5 years but if he pushes for it, what do we do? Let him walk? If Radulov is being reasonable in the AAV (depending on term), Habs need to make the deal happen

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Have you ever moved before? It has nothing to do with the city itself.

Further, moved to a city where almost no one speaks your first language and your second language is that cities second language. I love Montreal but even for an anglo Canadian it can be an intimidating city. Construction everywhere, street signs in french, cabbies that barely speak english. Its my favourite Canadian city to visit but would not live there, and I can see why a Russuan family would feel alien there.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
BTW, there is a reason why a lot of Russian players are coming to NA.

Yes, there ARE reasons. Every player has his own.

The rouble was a 3.3 cents in 2013 now it is a 1.7 cents.

That is not a reason though.

Also teams are closing in KHL

No teams are closing. Two teams left the league to play in different leagues.

and they now have a SCap.

There was always a salary cap. But it is no NHL salary cap. There is a "luxury tax" for teams spending over the cap.

Mettalurg has ceased operation and Zagreb is now in another league.
Canadian press is no a good source on Russia it seems. There are two Metallurgs and they don't mention it. Metallurg Novokuznetsk does not cease operation. It is like Zagreb in another league now.

This is why Shipachev, Panarin, Radulov, Dadonov, Zaitsev, Jerabek, Kovalchuck are leaving.

Just no, and here is why.

Let's start with Kovalchuk. Who says he is leaving at all? Right now it looks more likely that he is not going anywhere and there is nothing but rumours out there.

For european players who haven't made it right through the draft-CHL/AHL path(mostly older players(like Jerabek 26y.o.)) playing in the KHL is a prime opportunity to showcase themselves for the NHL from the get go. Jerabek was obviously successful at that. There is no connection to anything else. For those players that is the plan.

Everything as planned also for Panarin and Shipachev. Young players who were planning to play in the NHL anyway. And after winning the Cup in the KHL the go.

Same for Zaytsev. Only he couldn't win the title.

But it is all about age and nothing else. Tis is the stage n their development were they should go to the NHL.

For Dadonov it is a bit different because he has already played in the NHL. For him it is his last chance to have a successful career in the NHL.

Radulov always wanted to return to the NHL. He won the Cup with one team and wanted to repeat with another. Tried hard but failed. He is not getting younger. So it was also an age issue.

Also a lot of young Russian players come here to play their last season before the draft in the CHL.

...and it's the most stupid thing they do.
[/QUOTE]

So check your facts about Russia. I giess for Radulov there are two major factord now. It's money and his family life.

Radulov and his wife splited a couple of times during his time in the KHL. Not sure it has to do with Montr�al.

They married in August 2015. What time in the KHL are you talking about?

I heard about the divorce but how true is Radulov's wife not liking Montreal and leaving half way through last season? Where did you hear this?

I don't know where people get that she didn't like Montreal from. She simply wasn't happy with their family life for obvious reasons. Radulov wasn't exactly a faithful husband based on the information available.

And yes, she left during the winter and she stated that they went trough a tough half year period in a recent statement about the divorce.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
We have to look at history.

(...)
Point I am trying to make is that Radulov should go after the most money if his past behavior is to be used to determine where he is going to sign.

Only problem is that you left out of his "history" an important thing, he signed in Montreal exactly 1 year ago despite having better offers elsewhere, thus leaving money on the table to play here. He did the exact opposite of what you're saying here.

He chose Montreal once, I'm still highly confident he's staying here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad