Player Discussion Alexander Radulov II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
My guess (and hope) is that both sides want to get a deal done but MTL wants to wait until the end of the year so they have a better idea of what he is worth. I believe they will pay the price to sign Radulov to a reasonable contract, but what is reasonable still needs to be determined.

Especially given his ineffective play over the last two months, the Habs simply can't gamble a ~$7M cap hit for the next X years on the hope that they will be getting early season Radulov for the duration of the contract.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Current cap space is not the right number. This is prorated to the whole season - i.e. we could theoretically add a 4M guy today, and still be compliant with the cap at the end of the year, because we were slightly under the cap the whole year.

What you'd want to use is probably projected cap space and we're at around 500k.

Thanks for that info. I stand corrected then with my earlier post.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I would cut his minutes in the remaining games. Habs need him fresh for the playoffs. When Radulov is on he is an elite top line player. Right now and for the past while he has not been on.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He looks like his ego is writing paychecks his body can't cash.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He was a beast earlier in the season but he's looked gassed and tired for the last little while. Not surprising considering the NHL is a different monster compared to the KHL, but it should raise concerns about giving him a super long-term deal, IMO. He's 30-years-old, I'd be fine with 5 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's going to be somewhere in the middle of this... 3 years at $6.75M or 5 years at $6M. However, the only way this is a success story between Radulov/Habs is if the Habs continue to surround this guy with shooters. Habs need to add offense and give Radulov guys to play with. He can't do it on his own.

I also think the RFA guys across the league is going to help dictate the player contract values. There are going to be tons of guys locked up in the $6M-7M range and Radulov/Agent will realize this is the market in the end. MB needs to manage this and ensure the deal is right for both the Habs and Radulov.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Being a fan is fun we get to criticize every play but I draw the line when people criticize Radulov, he's a workhorse out there. Hope we get to keep him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Being a fan is fun we get to criticize every play but I draw the line when people criticize Radulov, he's a workhorse out there. Hope we get to keep him.

I agree. I think people are just searching and waiting for him to fail. The minute he slows down, makes mistakes, or has a bad game, they are all over it. Same with Weber, Price, Patch, and Galchenyuk. It's pretty much playoff hockey now... scoring is going to be tough from here on out!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The term 'current cap space' on capfriendly is misleading as hell. Because my first interpretation was the same as yours.

The most important # is 16 contracts with a committed $51,382,977 for the 2017/2018 season. Then add the contracts of Galchenyuk, Radulov, Beaulieu, Markov. The cap is then maxed out.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Once we clinch a playoff spot, I'd like to see Radu sat out for a couple of games before the real season starts. It's seems to me anyway that he is having trouble dealing with the grind of the longer and more physical season compared to the KHL, which is to be expected. No harm in it.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Once we clinch a playoff spot, I'd like to see Radu sat out for a couple of games before the real season starts. It's seems to me anyway that he is having trouble dealing with the grind of the longer and more physical season compared to the KHL, which is to be expected. No harm in it.
You're going to be delegated to tell him he has to sit. When he says no you're to say ok.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This is what Radulov/Agent are going to be worried about and MB knows this. It's going to be a 4 or 5 year deal at somewhere around $5.75M - $6.5M IMO.

“So it’s going to be fascinating to see if the Montreal Canadiens will go as high as five years, which seems like the mid-point. And if I were Radulov, I would want to try to get something that takes me by my 35th birthday, so that I’m not up for a contract and asking for a 35-and-over deal where most teams then are only going to be prepared to give you a year at a time because of the different rules for players who are 35-and-over in the NHL.â€

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He's not even worth his one-year contract so far and people want to give him more money on a longer contract. WTF ?

123 NHL players have scored more goals than Radulov this year. He's one of the most out-of-shape players in the NHL. To the point where he is a defensive liability out there. He has also been wildly inconsistent, being plain invisible in several games.

Radulov was signed as an unknown quantity on the basis that the floor was Semin II and the roof was some sort of Russian version of Patrick Kane. He's not been a bust like Semin. He's a good player, very talented and certainly a legit top 6 at this point. But he hasn't been great.

I feel that *so far*, he's played like someone who should have been awarded a little less money than he got so *right now*, there's no reason to even think of offering this guy more than $4.75M for his next one-year deal. Like, none whatsoever.

I'm not saying he couldn't have an even better season. But taking his performances this year into consideration and also his age, that's what it is. Of course, this evaluation is subject to change. The picture will be a lot clearer after the playoffs.

I'm just totally stunned that people are talking about 3, 4, 5+ year contract at 6M. That's just goofy.

And don't talk to me about market value. Market value is for chumps. Good GMing is finding the Eric Staals and Paul Byrons of this world.

Jul 6, 2016
Radulov is showing right now why he DOESN't deserve a long term contract.

He better start playing hard again and produce.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Radulov is showing right now why he DOESN't deserve a long term contract.

He better start playing hard again and produce.

Hope your prepared for more of this (lack of scoring). Unless your Crosby or McDavid or play on a team with very good top 6 depth, your going to have a hard time scoring as we approach the playoffs. Radulov has slowed down no doubt, but I'd rather have him than not have him. It's like the wide receiver in Football... he draws double coverage and frees up space for others. ;)

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's not even worth his one-year contract so far and people want to give him more money on a longer contract. WTF ?

123 NHL players have scored more goals than Radulov this year. He's one of the most out-of-shape players in the NHL. To the point where he is a defensive liability out there. He has also been wildly inconsistent, being plain invisible in several games.

Radulov was signed as an unknown quantity on the basis that the floor was Semin II and the roof was some sort of Russian version of Patrick Kane. He's not been a bust like Semin. He's a good player, very talented and certainly a legit top 6 at this point. But he hasn't been great.

I feel that *so far*, he's played like someone who should have been awarded a little less money than he got so *right now*, there's no reason to even think of offering this guy more than $4.75M for his next one-year deal. Like, none whatsoever.

I'm not saying he couldn't have an even better season. But taking his performances this year into consideration and also his age, that's what it is. Of course, this evaluation is subject to change. The picture will be a lot clearer after the playoffs.

I'm just totally stunned that people are talking about 3, 4, 5+ year contract at 6M. That's just goofy.

And don't talk to me about market value. Market value is for chumps. Good GMing is finding the Eric Staals and Paul Byrons of this world.

Excellent post...I've been pretty vocal from the start that he's been a bit overrated amongst Habs fans so far.

He's been good, but it seems a lot of Habs fans are in complete rapture. He hasn't been THAT good.

Said from the beginning, anything beyond 3yrs is something I'm not super comfort with...5yrs and beyond is a non-starter for me

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
mb will offer the farm to an average NHL player, that only stands out because he is on a totally inept team with zero team scoring. Pleks 2.0 coming our way.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Agreed. He's not worth the term or money posters are throwing around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad