Player Discussion Alexander Radulov II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

“it’s still too early to talk about the next contract and alexander is concentrating on his play,” said agent maxim moliver, per la presse (quotes have been translated). “he wants to have a good season so he can show that he’s able to play in this league.

“i don’t see why this relationship can’t continue in the future.”

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
not worried about his contract - it'll get done in due time, it's too early to start talking about that right now.

Just focus on hockey, the rest will sort itself out in due time.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
not worried about his contract - it'll get done in due time, it's too early to start talking about that right now.

Just focus on hockey, the rest will sort itself out in due time.

I have faith the Radulov will continue to produce, but we saw last year when Plekanec had that great start, when MB extended him, everything went into the toilet. Anyhow, Radulov can't be resigned/extended until January I believe so plenty of time.

That said, he is skilled, spectacular and a real fighter. IMO, slap a C on him, I go no issue with it (though I think Weber is the man). He is exactly what we've needed from a top-6 perspective and given he apparently loves it here and the fans clearly love him, MB would be brain-dead to let him go (unless somebody throws him 7x$10.5 or something stupid crazy).

Holding off getting a Radulov jersey, but as soon as he is signed, I'm picking one up.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Rads is a veteran championship type of team player, the wins and the losses he takes personally, love seeing that type of passion in our players, win, lose or Draw MFer!!!...:yo::yo::yo:

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
sure. agent mentioned brent burns's contract as an example of what rads would want:laugh:

From what I read it was on a term level, not money level. Spoke about being a family man, obviously he doesn't want to uproot everyone constantly. Or at least as a family man, I wouldn't.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
From what I read it was on a term level, not money level. Spoke about being a family man, obviously he doesn't want to uproot everyone constantly. Or at least as a family man, I wouldn't.

Give him a big term but front load it so that he can be easily traded to a cap floor team later in his career to reduce the risk. I dont mind 5 years * 7

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
sure. agent mentioned brent burns's contract as an example of what rads would want:laugh:

What an agent asks and what he gets are two different things though. Do you really think Rads is getting 8 x 8?

Love the guy, but if that's the demand.... C ya!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Give him a big term but front load it so that he can be easily traded to a cap floor team later in his career to reduce the risk. I dont mind 5 years * 7

While I don't expect Radulov to hold out for 8 years like Burns that would take him to 39, going on 40, he might want 6+ years as a minimum to buy some of that later in the 30s security (36 and 37).

I have no problem with 6 years at 40 Million total, between 6.5 Million and 7 Million. Front loading the contract, as much as possible isn't a bad idea either.

I do appreciate the concern that Radulov won't be able to continue playing pedal to the metal into his late 30s. Only time will tell, but the next three or four years shouldn't be a problem.

Comparing to Plekanec is an insult to Radulov, IMO. Plekanec was always a little soft to begin with, so the reduced effort into his 30s isn't unexpected, even if it is insulting and frustrating after the 6Million gift he received last year. Radulov has never been soft, nor is he injury prone, so there's no reason to anticipate a let down.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'd give him a little more term and a and a little less salary if possible...He's 30 now, so i'd give him 4 or 5 years at 6 million per year.

I think with Price and Galchenyuk needing new contracts soon, some players will need to make little sacrifices to keep the core intact...

The good news is that Desharnais's contract is coming off the books at the end of the year and Plekanec's contract is coming off the books at the end of next year when Price will be do for a raise.

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Knowing Bergevin and his sly ways, he'll have a deal in place with Rad but only sign it July 1st. This way, we don't need to protect him for the expansion draft. The way Radulov seems to love Montreal I doubt he'd be tempted to sign anywhere else.

agree, i doubt habs will make the best offer to him. he'll be playing for another team come next season.

The Habs didn't make him the best offer this summer either. He had more than one offer for 2 years. Ultimately, Radulov decided where he wanted to play the most and that was Montreal. It's no longer a question of money for him, as long as we don't lowball him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
From what I've read, Radulov wants a lot of stability and he really wants to play in Montreal, I don't think the money is as important.

I wouldn't be surprised of a relatively cheap 8 year deal, myself.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Radulov is the most important player to this team after Weber, Price and Galchenyuk.

I would trade any other player if we need to in order to get Radu under contract.

Such a great presence. Reminds me of when he was playing with the Remparts.

GO RADU !!!

Semin 2.0

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just as I was very confident that Radulov would perform very well before we even signed him, I'm still confident he'll keep this up for many years (with a gradual decline due to age which is normal).

I'd sign him in January if possible for 5-6 years at 6-7 millions per.The bottom line is we need him and won't get another player of his caliber with our current prospect pool.We have Weber and Price who will probably play for us at a high level for the next few years, we need Radulov too if we are to stay competitive and have a window for the cup.Sergachev will eventually replace Markov (fingers crossed) and Galchenyuk is only getting better.If we lose him stupidly, what the hell will we do? It's obvious Radulov is among the best Free Agent signing.Most such signings ends up as nightmares.I doubt we'll get another opportunity for the next 5 years window.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see him getting a 6 year deal, hopefully under 7M, maybe 6M which wouldn't be bad. He's 30, so the problem would be how well he will hold up over the last years of the deal. But with the way he's playing, we got to keep him long term imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad