Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 4)

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Great to see OV and the whole team picking up their game lately.
Given current pace expect OV to score 30 plus und Caps making the playoffs.
Not the easiest schedule but 9 home games (6 away) left und no more travel to the west coast. :D

Reactions: Randyne

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I still think his back was messed up, and the 10 days off gave him time to actually rest. Remember he wasn't really taking slapshots for the first two months of the season.

Wasn't it also back issues that finally brought Gretzky to retire? Hoping whatever Ovi is dealing with is short term, not major/chronic. Health is the only thing that will keep him from 900.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
8 goals in his first 43 games.
15 goals in his last 22 games.

Needs 7 in his last 14 games to hit 30.
Definitely pretty clear that when the team finally started playing well AOs goal scoring picked up. Caps just did not look good for the first half of the season and without the Outlaw's play would not be where they are now standings-wise.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Meant to post this here but I accidentally posted it on the main board. :laugh: :

I'm rooting for him. If he can get another 10 this season (might be asking too much? Idk) he would only need two 20 goal seasons to grab the all the time.

I just think it would be a great achievement this day & age considering the lost games because of the lockout and covid.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I'm rooting for him. If he can get another 10 this season (might be asking too much? Idk) he would only need two 20 goal seasons to grab the all the time.

And it's great that the young guys have coalesced around him. Finally having the dead weight out is allowing for the youngsters to grow, and they're all showing something. It'll help Ovi these last years having that youth, scrap, and energy throughout the lineup, and we should have some cap space to throw around, too.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Meant to post this here but I accidentally posted it on the main board. :laugh: :

I just think it would be a great achievement this day & age considering the lost games because of the lockout and covid.
People forget that he lost ~2 seasons to lockouts and covid. He'd be well past Gretz and sailing toward 1,000 career red lights by now if not for that. And yeah, it makes this chase that much more noteworthy.

If he can break the record, I want him to push for the last 5 to stand alone at 900.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
While its hard to understand why didnt he score more in the first half of the season... we shouldnt forget that such big negative runs are probable for the remaining of his contract.

If he get to 30 or 30+ this season it will be enough to score about 25 for two more seasons but we are watching how really tough it would be. Small injuries, some other things - and he's not there

Back to believing he will do it though

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
While its hard to understand why didnt he score more in the first half of the season... we shouldnt forget that such big negative runs are probable for the remaining of his contract.

If he get to 30 or 30+ this season it will be enough to score about 25 for two more seasons but we are watching how really tough it would be. Small injuries, some other things - and he's not there

He already only needs 25 for the next two seasons. I also would be shocked if he didn’t play a year after this contract if he was couple short. Get his last 6-7 and then retire.

Reactions: Calicaps

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
If Ovi score 6 more in 12 games, that will be total 854.

Two more seasons for 40 goals to catch Great one, that is very promising.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I tell this story occasionally, but I had dinner with Brooks Laiche as a work thing around 2015 and one of the questions he was asked was about how performances vary. His response was that good NHL players don't just suddenly suck - if a guy is struggling its almost always because he's hurt. NHL players are tough, they don't want to come out of the lineup, but they are often playing at 60-70-80% because of an injury that's not really disclosed.

A good guess here is that Ovi's back was acting up, maybe a knee or possibly he got a wrist slash that needed time to heal. Once he's healthy he's back to being Ovi again. There's almost no way that his increase in production recently is just random variance, or him just deciding to play better. His slump was almost certainly him being hurt.

If he stays healthy he'll get close to 1000, certainly pass 99. He could pot 40 next year and no one should be surprised. If he's healthy.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
People forget that he lost ~2 seasons to lockouts and covid. He'd be well past Gretz and sailing toward 1,000 career red lights by now if not for that. And yeah, it makes this chase that much more noteworthy.

If he can break the record, I want him to push for the last 5 to stand alone at 900.
Pretty interesting that he could end up breaking Gretzky's record in fewer games. It will be close, either way.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I tell this story occasionally, but I had dinner with Brooks Laiche as a work thing around 2015 and one of the questions he was asked was about how performances vary. His response was that good NHL players don't just suddenly suck - if a guy is struggling its almost always because he's hurt. NHL players are tough, they don't want to come out of the lineup, but they are often playing at 60-70-80% because of an injury that's not really disclosed.

A good guess here is that Ovi's back was acting up, maybe a knee or possibly he got a wrist slash that needed time to heal. Once he's healthy he's back to being Ovi again. There's almost no way that his increase in production recently is just random variance, or him just deciding to play better. His slump was almost certainly him being hurt.

If he stays healthy he'll get close to 1000, certainly pass 99. He could pot 40 next year and no one should be surprised. If he's healthy.
Healthy Ovi can score 50+ still on a team with other threats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad