Confirmed with Link: Alexander Burmistrov Retires from the NHL

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't get the "he didn't get a good shot" or "was treated poorly by Van". He's not good enough to play in the NHL, he checks all the boxes for why players cannot make it to the NHL.

-can't skate
-can't hit
-too small
-doesn't compete

Rather have Dowd if we're going to suck. Dowd isn't the player I'm looking for to protect our young players, but he's better suited for it than Burmistrov. Good teams don't have Burmistrov's on their team, so this is a positive for the Canucks.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I’m not sure how this would reflect badly on our organisation with free agents. Surely the fact that we facilitated his retirement with no ill will would make us seen as a place you would want to take a chance on if you were thinking of switching leagues? It’s not like we pulled a Vegas.

Even if we (hopefully) have new management, that perception should stick a bit.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Well duh. Everyone there seems to still like the team and are trying to have fun despite a bad situation.

Everyone here seems dead set on hating the Canucks and taking everything they do personally, even though at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

I also don't know why everyone is deadset on thinking this is a bad look for the Canucks and that this team is going to have problems attracting Russians in the future. Tryamkin clearly wasn't ready to make the cultural jump to playing in a foreign yet and realized that after a year here, is it suddenly Jim Benning's fault that Canada isn't Russia?

Burmistrov went through three different NHL teams and clearly hasn't been able to put anything credible together. The Canucks were likely always going to be his last NHL stop if he couldn't make it work, and that's exactly how it turned out. Again, how is it Benning's fault that Burmistrov just couldn't cut it as an NHL player and would rather cut his contract and potentially earn a chance at home to play in the Olympics?
Benning is the GM, the talent scout that didn't know how to make a "yokel" from a small village, that couldn't even speak the language feel comfortable or help adjust to the big city.
In Burmistrov, he evaluated him to be an addition to the team and it was him that signed the contract, nobody was twisting his arm forcing to sign this particular player.

If it is not Benning's overall responsibility for these jobs, then who's is it?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No loss whatsoever. The trend of having Russians and then losing them to the KHL is troubling though.

...as is the trend of American players signing here and then deciding that they don't like playing in Canada. Miller, Luongo, Kesler...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
...as is the trend of American players signing here and then deciding that they don't like playing in Canada. Miller, Luongo, Kesler...

Alright, now you've jumped the shark.

roberto-luongo-canada.jpg

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You do know that Luongo is Canadian right?

He's as American as Mom and apple pie. He's about as Canadian as Brett Hull. Canadian by birth but that's about it. I thought he had become a US citizen but that was Brodeur. Lives in the states, married an American, kids are all American blah blah. His wife certainly didn't want to live (or have her kids) here.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
talk about over reaction. a nearly meaningless signing that didn't work out .... how in"hell" do you go from there to your last remark?
It was embarrassing having a NOTHER defector on the team. I wish him a bad future unless he changes his craptastic attitude

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
To lose one Russian may be regarded as a misfortune; to loose both looks like carelessness.

Last edited:

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
He's as American as Mom and apple pie. He's about as Canadian as Brett Hull. Canadian by birth but that's about it. I thought he had become a US citizen but that was Brodeur. Lives in the states, married an American, kids are all American blah blah. His wife certainly didn't want to live (or have her kids) here.
you sound bitter.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
BY MY METRICS LUONGO IS A US AMERICAN AND ALSO HE IS A JELLYBEAN AND I AM GOING TO EAT HIM UP

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Another Russian driven away. Up next is Goldobin. I don't blame them for taking advantage of the KHL option if they're going to be treated poorly.

It also really sucks for Utica. Our poor forward depth just got worse.

Their not being treated poorly... their just not performing at a high enough level, this is the NHL. Look at how Boeser handled being benched for the start of the season, or Virtanen with how he’s been handle. This is why I wouldn’t want to draft a Russian high, they quit too quick if they don’t get their way, they demand ice time and not to play in the AHL, they fly back home to Russia if they don’t make it here. Too much drama with most of them.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Like most Canadians who play a long time in the U.S.

Reactions: racerjoe

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Burmistrov isn't good enough to represent Team Neutrals at the Olympics either. That's how bad he is.
Burmistrov was struggling to be in the lineup on a squad missing Bo Horvat and Brandon Sutter. He signed with the Canucks with the belief that he could take one last jab at being an NHL player.

Henrik Sedin, Sam Gagner, Brendan Gaunce, Nic Dowd, and Markus Granlund are all ahead of him on the center depth chart.

When both injured centers return to the lineup, his season might as well have been done.

Burmistrov's NHL career is over. He just didn't want to wait until the end of the season to begin the next chapter of his hockey career.
Another Russian driven away. Up next is Goldobin. I don't blame them for taking advantage of the KHL option if they're going to be treated poorly.

It also really sucks for Utica. Our poor forward depth just got worse.
Goldobin's agent, Igor Larionov, advises against his players leaving for the KHL.

It's going to take Goldobin firing Igor or a disastrous stint in the NHL to push him over.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad