Confirmed with Link: Alexander Burmistrov Retires from the NHL

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Worth a shot, good luck to him in the K. Always felt he had more to give when he played, but also not talented enough to make up for uninspired play at times

When we are completely healthy does Goldy have a spot? Don't think so because they will never scratch Gagner...

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
It is amazing how much more fair the comments are here in this forum with regards to this retirement.

C*C is flaming him with all kinds of negativity and Russians in general. It is amazing that the mods there aren't trying to keep a handle on this.

Mind you there is a fair amount of sterilization and sanitation of management failures there and definitely bias to some posters. Some posters are allowed to astro surf threads and troll without fear.

This is just another player that didn't like the method of communication, "you will perform and you will obey" without explanations, I guess maybe it is outside management's responsibilities to talk and explain to players outside of the rink.

Undoubtably "he was homesick" is the real reason. BTW, I have beachfront property for sale, best seen at low tide.
I find it interesting that their support comes at the cost of xenophobic posts over there. Wow. Just wow.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Shows how pointless the Dowd trade was. Basically just drove an equal player away whom you'd just signed. Looks pretty bad.
How does it look bad?

Re Burmistrov....Travis Green wasn't happy with him. He had a huge opportunity to step up and completely came in listless and useless. He was worth a shot at his age as a depth player, he's Russian with other options. 2 of the worst teams in the league gave him a shot and he couldn't raise his play. Dowd has been better even though he's a marginal player as well but i doubt he just stands and looks scared while his teammates get attacked.

The only thing that looked bad at the end of his brief tenure was the lack of heart for a player about to be bounced from the NHL.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
How is he treated poorly? I thought he showed well in a few games, poorly in others. Overall he’s a fringe NHL player and these kinds of players that happen to be Eastern European have a much better option playing in the Korrupt Hockey League.

Did i miss something? how was he treated poorly?

Maybe treated poorly was the wrong choice of words. But I understand his frustration with ice time, much like Tryamkin. Yes, he's a depth forward, and he was far from perfect, but there were times where he was benched for most of a period and he continued getting very low ice time despite all the injuries. Equal or worse players called up were given more ice time/chances, and Benning also went out and acquired another mediocre depth forward that pushed him further down in the lineup.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
How does it look bad?

Re Burmistrov....Travis Green wasn't happy with him. He had a huge opportunity to step up and completely came in listless and useless. He was worth a shot at his age as a depth player, he's Russian with other options. 2 of the worst teams in the league gave him a shot and he couldn't raise his play. Dowd has been better even though he's a marginal player as well but i doubt he just stands and looks scared while his teammates get attacked.

The only thing that looked bad at the end of his brief tenure was the lack of heart for a player about to be bounced from the NHL.
They both suck. Neither is/was doing anything to make me want them around. If any half decent player shows up on waivers, I'd happily free Dowd to play in his homeland (AHL).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe treated poorly was the wrong choice of words. But I understand his frustration with ice time, much like Tryamkin. Yes, he's a depth forward, and he was far from perfect, but there were times where he was benched for most of a period and he continued getting very low ice time despite all the injuries. Equal or worse players called up were given more ice time/chances, and Benning also went out and acquired another mediocre depth forward that pushed him further down in the lineup.
oh ok i agree with this.

A player who was doing a terrible job and without a history of doing good things for the organization should not be given any kind of special treatment.

The opportunities were there and he has no one to blame but himself.....extremely disappointing career.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They both suck. Neither is/was doing anything to make me want them around. If any half decent player shows up on waivers, I'd happily free Dowd to play in his homeland (AHL).
Sure why not?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah I'm not really understanding the posts saying he got a "huge opportunity" and he bungled it. Maybe I missed it as I haven't paid close attention to him all season. What was the huge opportunity? Was he playing on a line with Horvat and Boeser? Oodles of PP time with the Sedins?

From what I can see he was given an "opportunity" to play as a 4th liner depth forward and he was doing okay in that role, no better or worse than anyone else. If he wants to go home it's not a big loss but why we needed to trade a marginal prospect for Dowd just to drive Burm out I don't really get. Seems like throwing away a lottery ticket just for the opportunity to re-arrange a couple deck chairs.

Oh well.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
That’s where discussion goes to die, reading their PGTs and the ones here are night and day

Pretty meh on him but it always sucks losing some depth
Well duh. Everyone there seems to still like the team and are trying to have fun despite a bad situation.

Everyone here seems dead set on hating the Canucks and taking everything they do personally, even though at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

I also don't know why everyone is deadset on thinking this is a bad look for the Canucks and that this team is going to have problems attracting Russians in the future. Tryamkin clearly wasn't ready to make the cultural jump to playing in a foreign yet and realized that after a year here, is it suddenly Jim Benning's fault that Canada isn't Russia?

Burmistrov went through three different NHL teams and clearly hasn't been able to put anything credible together. The Canucks were likely always going to be his last NHL stop if he couldn't make it work, and that's exactly how it turned out. Again, how is it Benning's fault that Burmistrov just couldn't cut it as an NHL player and would rather cut his contract and potentially earn a chance at home to play in the Olympics?

Reactions: Nomobo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well duh. Everyone there seems to still like the team and are trying to have fun despite a bad situation.

Everyone here seems dead set on hating the Canucks and taking everything they do personally, even though at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

I also don't know why everyone is deadset on thinking this is a bad look for the Canucks and that this team is going to have problems attracting Russians in the future. Tryamkin clearly wasn't ready to make the cultural jump to playing in a foreign yet and realized that after a year here, is it suddenly Jim Benning's fault that Canada isn't Russia?

Burmistrov went through three different NHL teams and clearly hasn't been able to put anything credible together. The Canucks were likely always going to be his last NHL stop if he couldn't make it work, and that's exactly how it turned out. Again, how is it Benning's fault that Burmistrov just couldn't cut it as an NHL player and would rather cut his contract and potentially earn a chance at home to play in the Olympics?

Ahahah thought the first two lines were sarcasm, oh boy.

As a standalone event, this means nothing. Player that Arizona didn't look to retain clearly couldn't cut it in the NHL and is now prioritizing his family over giving up everything to attempt establishing himself as a marginal player. Hardly shocking.

But between Tryamkin, Rodin and now Burmistrov, that's three players that have left the Canucks organization to pursue playing overseas...in the last 6 months. It's not Benning's fault, but there's a trend regarding retention of players that a bunch of people - who love hockey (and the Canucks) so much that they're discussing it on a message board on Christmas Eve - are simply observing and noting.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well it is either the AHL or KHL for him as he isn’t a NHL forward. More money in the KHL.

Was likely told he was being sent to the AHL following break and this is the decision he made.

Goldobin...who knows. Thus far I’m struggling to see his fit in the NHL. He has another 30-40games to change that impression before he begins making the decision.

Thank you for summarizing my thoughts.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

There’s absolutely zero analysis going at all there, threads with over 100 replies with zero substance whatsoever. It’s 95% high schoolers posting memes, if that floats your boat then yeah sure it’s “fun”

I’d rather read complete break downs involving multiple view points than “omg brock hard lul”

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It does also seem to me that this could be cost of living related. At least in part. Vancouver would not be a destination of choice for NHL minimum wage earners looking to sock away something for retirement. The high cost of living. I have been wondering for a while how long it will be before Alex Biega either asks for a raise or looks for a cheaper place to ply his trade.

I'm sure ice time and home sickness, the Olympics etc were all contributing factors in the decision...

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It does also seem to me that this could be cost of living related. At least in part. Vancouver would not be a destination of choice for NHL minimum wage earners looking to sock away something for retirement. The high cost of living. I have been wondering for a while how long it will be before Alex Biega either asks for a raise or looks for a cheaper place to ply his trade.

I'm sure ice time and home sickness, the Olympics etc were all contributing factors in the decision...

He was on a 1 year deal making how much? I know it’s expensive here but I’m sure the 1600-1800 dollar a month apartment wasn’t a deal breaker

Reactions: billvanseattle

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Hmm. Everyone's "dead set on hating the Canucks" eh? Well I haven't seen that around here and I sure as heck don't hate the Canucks. In fact I pretty much consider myself a 'Nucklehead among 'Nuckleheads here and the driving force on the Brendan Gaunce bandwagon. Between the Gaunce thread, the fun and frivolity of the live game threads and various other side endeavors I'm having a fabulous time here.

I'm sorry you seem to have missed the boat friend.

Reactions: Nomobo

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He was on a 1 year deal making how much? I know it’s expensive here but I’m sure the 1600-1800 dollar a month apartment wasn’t a deal breaker
Pro athletes don't play for ever though, most of them try to put something away for later and there would be less left over after taxes and cost of living here than just about anywhere else on the circuit. I just think it has to be a factor, particularly for bottom wage guys.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
People shouldn't assume there is any ill-will coming from Burmistrov towards the Canucks. It's not like every retirement is predicated on drama. My guess is that he was just done, and felt like it was time to go back home. It's a real slog when you're bouncing around, up and down from the minors and barely making the team, especially when you're in a foreign land. It's no ones fault, really. It's just how it went. I'm sure he was appreciative towards the Canucks for being a part of his NHL career.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad