Value of: Alexandar Georgiev to Chicago

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
A modest and realistic deal for Georgiev can be had. If there are no prospects Chicago is willing to give up, what about a 2nd round draft pick or a combination of draft picks?

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Imagine hating a team as much as this Meeqs goofball seems to hate Chicago. Funny to read.

Georgiev would be a nice add but not at 2nd + Vlasic type cost being discussed

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
There should be some good young goalies available this coming year, since teams can only protect one goalie in the expansion draft. Expecting a few to be traded for a lot less than people are expecting.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
A modest and realistic deal for Georgiev can be had. If there are no prospects Chicago is willing to give up, what about a 2nd round draft pick or a combination of draft picks?
I'd say most prospects would be available, it's just not gonna be top ones like Mithcell, Beaudin, Kurashev, or Barratt. Anyone else + a 3rd would be available.

I'd avoid moving our 2nd if possible, but I don't think it'd be entirely off the board.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Rangers don't want to take salary back for Georgiev, so any player that is being traded for needs to be either on an ELC, unsigned draft pick, or yet to occur draft pick

Team needs depth forwards who can make an impact long term at this point.

Jake Wise I'd be interested in, not sure he's available.
You don't want Jake Wise.

A very talented prospect, but the guy has been hampered with injuries. He's played only 45 NCAA games since he was drafted two years ago and has a whopping 15pts in that span. Injuries have more than likely ruined any real chance he had.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
It's no secret Chicago needs to find a replacement for Crawford, and with no standout talent in their system (Delia, Subban, Lankinen), they'll likely have to look at trading for someone.

New York have Shestyorkin as their goalie going forward, and Lundqvist on the books for another year to fill in the mentor role. This leaves Georgiev as an outsider.

It seems the value of a goalie like Georgiev is probably around a 2nd round pick, but the Rangers might prefer to have someone who can step in immediately so I'm not sure what they'd want.

The following players I'd make available for Georgiev:

-Drake Caggiula
-Slater Koekkoek
-Lucas Carlsson
-Michal Teply
-Alex Vlasic

Curious what Rangers fans think.

Take your second round pick and stick it. Will cost a lot more than that. I'll say it for the 500th time here. If you did research, 2nd round picks turn out a good NHL player about 11% of the time. So no. A second rounder will not do it. Plus, I believe Hank will retire after this season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see why Georgiev wouldn't be worth more than a 2nd. I would have guessed something like a late 1st. He's a fairly average goalie now but young enough that he might have more to give. You could also reliably get a good pick back for him at any trade deadline. I'd think there are several teams that would jump on Georgiev at a 2nd round price, it seems like a no-brainer for too many clubs for that to be the real price.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't see why Georgiev wouldn't be worth more than a 2nd. I would have guessed something like a late 1st. He's a fairly average goalie now but young enough that he might have more to give. You could also reliably get a good pick back for him at any trade deadline. I'd think there are several teams that would jump on Georgiev at a 2nd round price, it seems like a no-brainer for too many clubs for that to be the real price.
Goalies don't return 1sts. I'm not even sure that you could get a 2nd for him, because he's unproven.
Only proven goalies or ones with high pedigrees return 2nds. If Robin Lehner couldn't get a 1st at the TDL, then what makes you think that you could get a 2nd for Georgiev?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

what comparable goalie to Georgiev got that return? Only trade that comes to mind is Lehner + Legwand for a 1st. And that trade was made by a god awful GM. Now factor in a flat cap and expansion looming and the market is going to be quite saturated.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
Goalies don't return 1sts. I'm not even sure that you could get a 2nd for him, because he's unproven.
Only proven goalies or ones with high pedigrees return 2nds. If Robin Lehner couldn't get a 1st at the TDL, then what makes you think that you could get a 2nd for Georgiev?

Well Schneider did go for #9, but I'm sure teams have learned not to do that since.

Also in your specific example Lehner was a FA, a little different circumstance. I'm not a fan of either team but I can see Georgiev going for late 2nd early 3rd.

The goalie market is going to be fun to watch, going to be some good ones available very shortly.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
He is 24 years old. Maybe you are thinking of when 29 year old goalies get traded.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He is 24 years old. Maybe you are thinking of when 29 year old goalies get traded.
He's a goalie that hasn't proven that he's of starter quality yet. Not worth a 2nd. Proven goalies as a rental or even under contract go for 2nds.

What did Ben Bishop get when he was traded to the Kings?
Not much, and that's a guy who was under contract and just came off of a SCF appearance and was a Vezina finalist.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
He's a goalie that hasn't proven that he's of starter quality yet. Not worth a 2nd. Proven goalies as a rental or even under contract go for 2nds.

What did Ben Bishop get when he was traded to the Kings?
Not much, and that's a guy who was under contract and just came off of a SCF appearance and was a Vezina finalist.
"Oilers sent the 57th, 79th and 184th picks to New York for Talbot and the 209th pick. Talbot has just 57 games of NHL experience, but at age 27 he could still blossom into a starter."

NHL draft: Rangers trade Cam Talbot for three picks | NBC Sports Philadelphia

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
"Oilers sent the 57th, 79th and 184th picks to New York for Talbot and the 209th pick. Talbot has just 57 games of NHL experience, but at age 27 he could still blossom into a starter."

NHL draft: Rangers trade Cam Talbot for three picks | NBC Sports Philadelphia
Chiarelli doesn't count.

This is the same guy who traded Tyler Seguin for Loui Eriksson and trash, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and Drake Caggiula for Brandon Manning. The 3rd deal on this list got him fired.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Take your second round pick and stick it. Will cost a lot more than that. I'll say it for the 500th time here. If you did research, 2nd round picks turn out a good NHL player about 11% of the time. So no. A second rounder will not do it. Plus, I believe Hank will retire after this season.

No it won’t

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think DET would be interested depending on price, they need a goalie badly.

To NYR - 2020 2nd (Edmonton/Washington), Michael Rasmussen & Dennis Cholowski

To DET - Alexandar Georgiev & Ryan Strome

I'm sure I'm off on value here though.

The above apparently had Deangelo tacked on to Strome as 'and/or'.

Deangelo also is available, but quality is rarely cheap.
I also said if you make a big enough package individual player values can be discounted [premise/precedent in economics is volume discount].

Would oblige but DET fans did not want to cough up assets NY would want for Dea, even w/Ranger adds.

But feel free to try.

-------------

As to a variation on your proposed offer, I have reworked it:
To NYR -
DET 2020 and 2021 2nds
Michael Rasmussen
Dennis Cholowski

To DET -
Alexandar Georgiev
Ryan Strome
Lias Andersson

that should be just enough to top other offers.

deal?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
regardless of extent to which poster is/is not off about Geo's inherent value, that is a moot point here.

Obviously, there will be competition, and it will drive the price up.

there wont be much. The goalie market will be pretty soft and there will be a few high profile UFA (Markstrom,Holtby,Lehner)

Late 2nd/early 3rd for George

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
The sad thing is, teams draft some good players with 2nd rounders. It would be nice to draft a 2nd rounder that's worth a shit for once

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The above apparently had Deangelo tacked on to Strome as 'and/or'.

Deangelo also is available, but quality is rarely cheap.
I also said if you make a big enough package individual player values can be discounted [premise/precedent in economics is volume discount].

Would oblige but DET fans did not want to cough up assets NY would want for Dea, even w/Ranger adds.

But feel free to try.

-------------

As to a variation on your proposed offer, I have reworked it:
To NYR -
DET 2020 and 2021 2nds
Michael Rasmussen
Dennis Cholowski

To DET -
Alexandar Georgiev
Ryan Strome
Lias Andersson

that should be just enough to top other offers.

deal?

neutral fan

this is awful for detroit. they are giving up a top 10 prospect that has developed well, for one that hasnt
they give up a young dman and a pair of early 2nds for strome (who will soon be overpaid) and Georgiev?

Take out Rasmussen or CHolowski and wings still say no thats how bad it is. stop trying to pawn off strome in all your deals lol
He is a 35ish pt 3rd liner that had a career year riding panarins coattails

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Chiarelli doesn't count.

This is the same guy who traded Tyler Seguin for Loui Eriksson and trash, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and Drake Caggiula for Brandon Manning. The 3rd deal on this list got him fired.
Looking at those trades is just horrendous. Imagine getting paid to make those trades? Wow.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad