Value of: Alexandar Georgiev to Chicago

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's no secret Chicago needs to find a replacement for Crawford, and with no standout talent in their system (Delia, Subban, Lankinen), they'll likely have to look at trading for someone.

New York have Shestyorkin as their goalie going forward, and Lundqvist on the books for another year to fill in the mentor role. This leaves Georgiev as an outsider.

It seems the value of a goalie like Georgiev is probably around a 2nd round pick, but the Rangers might prefer to have someone who can step in immediately so I'm not sure what they'd want.

The following players I'd make available for Georgiev:

-Drake Caggiula
-Slater Koekkoek
-Lucas Carlsson
-Michal Teply
-Alex Vlasic

Curious what Rangers fans think.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's no secret Chicago needs to find a replacement for Crawford, and with no standout talent in their system (Delia, Subban, Lankinen), they'll likely have to look at trading for someone.

New York have Shestyorkin as their goalie going forward, and Lundqvist on the books for another year to fill in the mentor role. This leaves Georgiev as an outsider.

It seems the value of a goalie like Georgiev is probably around a 2nd round pick, but the Rangers might prefer to have someone who can step in immediately so I'm not sure what they'd want.

-Drake Caggiula
-Slater Koekkoek
-Lucas Carlsson
-Michal Teply
-Alex Vlasic

Curious what Rangers fans think.

Assessment is essentially correct [bold].

In a vacuum perceived consensus of value is ballpark 2nd + small to medium add, which is not a deal breaker.

In reality market shaped by competition will establish the price.

Likely candidates bidding could include:
DET
BUF
CHI

As to return, likely prefer pick(s) as dominant key part of swag obtained.

NY is not crushed atm but we are looking to get ahead of the curve. Want to move on from Deangelo, Strome, Buch, and Geo --- but not give away, for fair market value --- and bank cap while giving those mins to Chytil, Kakko, Krav, etc.

Final observation:
value of Geo can be discounted if it is in a package for NY that makes sense.

So, what is your initial bid?

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
What about Maata. That could be an interesting trade. Younger SAH D to pair with Rangers mobile young defense

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Georgiev to Chicago is a discussion worth having.

The Hawks need a goalie on the young side, and Georgiev doesn't really seem to have a spot on the Rangers next season.

Chi needs a lot of things, they are a bad team. Are there any other good young players you would like to get without giving up anything but garbage no one cares about in return?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Assessment is essentially correct [bold].

In a vacuum perceived consensus of value is ballpark 2nd + small to medium add, which is not a deal breaker.

In reality market shaped by competition will establish the price.

Likely candidates bidding could include:
DET
BUF
CHI

As to return, likely prefer pick(s) as dominant key part of swag obtained.

NY is not crushed atm but we are looking to get ahead of the curve. Want to move on from Deangelo, Strome, Buch, and Geo --- but not give away, for fair market value --- and bank cap while giving those mins to Chytil, Kakko, Krav, etc.

Final observation:
value of Geo can be discounted if it is in a package for NY that makes sense.

So, what is your initial bid?
What's a position of need for the Rangers right now?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What's a position of need for the Rangers right now?

Happy to extend courtesy of full answer, but pls allow slight digress to share my opinion which varies from some conventional thinking.

I see Kravtsov as likely success, esp as a facilitator pivot paired with playing driving beast Kakko on one W and breadman finisher on the other W. [Conventional wisdom has him as a W.]

If that assessment is correct it means our emerging 2C Chytil can be pushed down to 3C, making that a potentially stronger 3rd line. This assumes that move, which also pushes Howden down to 4C, yields more production than Chytil to 2C sliding righty shot Zib to RW, bookended to Kreider at LW.

So F wise we need more high end skill, and just have to hope chemistry meshes that talent to generate a better level of play, but esp scoring.

Our D is a work in progress.
RD, Fox is a keeper, and like it or not, so is Trouba w/his NMC. Nils L will be here late upcoming season or following one. Want to sell high, or at least market, on Deangelo, who in meantime can LD.
LD we have Lindgren = nice pair w/Fox.
My preference is move Geo, Buch, Strome, [give their mins to Kakko, Krav, Chytil, Lemieux, Gauthier]; also deal Dea, and buy out Staal/Smith.
Then I want to play Hajek/Rykov and coupla others.

The exp drft is a wrench in the machine that can't be ignored.

So yes, while more guys for depth usually makes sense, what we really need is higher end talent, both at F [esp W, tho I would not say no to another Chytil] and D [esp LD].

===========
Now, as it stands now, setting aside roster cap mgmt, talent wise we have multiple holes, but as I noted above, we are a work in progress. There is a plan.
What we really need is an elite prospect pref LD [K'Andre Miller at least one season away, maybe 2].

Of course, Geo alone does not fetch that; needs to be a package.

But if you go by players, imo that is where NYR is at, and likely Geo fit is either a significant package or a pick.
Will listen with an open mind, but don't anticipate a coke for pepsi [comparable talent deal] gonna work, esp this yr w/exp drft.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Happy to extend courtesy of full answer, but pls allow slight digress to share my opinion which varies from some conventional thinking.

I see Kravtsov as likely success, esp as a facilitator pivot paired with playing driving beast Kakko on one W and breadman finisher on the other W. [Conventional wisdom has him as a W.]

If that assessment is correct it means our emerging 2C Chytil can be pushed down to 3C, making that a potentially stronger 3rd line. This assumes that move, which also pushes Howden down to 4C, yields more production than Chytil to 2C sliding righty shot Zib to RW, bookended to Kreider at LW.

So F wise we need more high end skill, and just have to hope chemistry meshes that talent to generate a better level of play, but esp scoring.

Our D is a work in progress.
RD, Fox is a keeper, and like it or not, so is Trouba w/his NMC. Nils L will be here late upcoming season or following one. Want to sell high, or at least market, on Deangelo, who in meantime can LD.
LD we have Lindgren = nice pair w/Fox.
My preference is move Geo, Buch, Strome, [give their mins to Kakko, Krav, Chytil, Lemieux, Gauthier]; also deal Dea, and buy out Staal/Smith.
Then I want to play Hajek/Rykov and coupla others.

The exp drft is a wrench in the machine that can't be ignored.

So yes, while more guys for depth usually makes sense, what we really need is higher end talent, both at F [esp W, tho I would not say no to another Chytil] and D [esp LD].

===========
Now, as it stands now, setting aside roster cap mgmt, talent wise we have multiple holes, but as I noted above, we are a work in progress. There is a plan.
What we really need is an elite prospect pref LD [K'Andre Miller at least one season away, maybe 2].

Of course, Geo alone does not fetch that; needs to be a package.

But if you go by players, imo that is where NYR is at, and likely Geo fit is either a significant package or a pick.
Will listen with an open mind, but don't anticipate a coke for pepsi [comparable talent deal] gonna work, esp this yr w/exp drft.
Thanks for the detailed response.

If you're looking for LD and W prospects, I'd offer Alex Vlasic and Michal Teply.

Vlasic, while not elite, was just drafted in the 2nd round. Teply was over a ppg in the WHL this season.

(Also there's Lucas Carlsson instead if you prefer him to Vlasic. He has more experience and is probably ready to step into the NHL now.)

Do those two together get Geo? Or would a pick need to be added?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Georgiev is probably only worth a late 2nd/early 3rd, but none of the guys you are offering have any value

maybe the rangers do Vlasic + a 3/4?

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Vlasic is interesting but we need NHL ready players. How close is he to breaking into the league?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Feel free to contribute with better suggestions. Comments like this don't further the discussion.
Those players all suck he can get a way better start then any of those players. I can almost guarantee Detroit would pay atleast a 2nd and 3rd.

edit- Vlasic could be substituted with a 3rd. So 2nd and Vlasic for Georgie

Reactions: Meeqs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Georgiev is probably only worth a late 2nd/early 3rd, but none of the guys you are offering have any value

maybe the rangers do Vlasic + a 3/4?

bold is refuted
Also, while Wings may want an add,
DET's high 2nd +
for
Geo ++
is a competitive bid here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vlasic is interesting but we need NHL ready players. How close is he to breaking into the league?

NHL ready only works if they are elc/early rfa.
Also, more importantly, MUST
have guys we do not have to protect in upcoming exp drft
THAT is the DOMINANT consideration.

Again, there may be exception fit, but as a rule that is it; what good is acquiring somebody and then we have to expose assets we prefer to keep?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks for the detailed response.

If you're looking for LD and W prospects, I'd offer Alex Vlasic and Michal Teply.

Vlasic, while not elite, was just drafted in the 2nd round. Teply was over a ppg in the WHL this season.

(Also there's Lucas Carlsson instead if you prefer him to Vlasic. He has more experience and is probably ready to step into the NHL now.)

Do those two together get Geo? Or would a pick need to be added?

You are welcome.
Agree/disagree, HFB rolls best when posters extend full courtesy to examine if not consider premise from an OP.

As to our ?, seems like no. As noted herein this thread, competition must up offers.
Do pardon pls while I remain busy outside in real world, and need to catch up a bit on CHI assets/farm.

That said, as to what kind of asset would be desirable, an example is Sabes Oskari Laaksonen, an RD selected 3rd round, unproven but skating talent visible, so his value, imo, in a vacuum, is ballpark 2nd. This is the kind of guy who may be another Sean Day, outstanding skater, but couldn't put it, including playing defense, together; or he eventually shows he cuts it either as a RD or RW over coupla years. And if he only gets 4 games cup of coffee taste of NHL not burning a year off his elc, I want to go there. But the other key is this guy is waiver draft exempt.

So for the answers you want in how to shape a winning package, consider what competition can offer.
Sabes want to unload Hutton. Rangers don't want him but he can be an emergency insurance piece who fills NY need for a schlub to expose on roster for exp drft. Again, Rangers don't have to pay for Hutton to so use him, plenty of schlubs available cheap if we need one. Sabes want to move his 2m+ expiring while adding Geo. Rangers want to unload Smith's 4.35 expiring. Rangers want a 2nd and Laaksonen. Buf has no 3rd this year, Rangers have 2. Lias in the mix. Some combo of these pieces is a win win deal.

You need to clearly top whatever the best version of that package is.
As well as what DET wants to do.

Reactions: Fro

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I think DET would be interested depending on price, they need a goalie badly.

To NYR - 2020 2nd (Edmonton/Washington), Michael Rasmussen & Dennis Cholowski

To DET - Alexandar Georgiev & Ryan Strome

I'm sure I'm off on value here though.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Rangers don't want to take salary back for Georgiev, so any player that is being traded for needs to be either on an ELC, unsigned draft pick, or yet to occur draft pick

Team needs depth forwards who can make an impact long term at this point.

Jake Wise I'd be interested in, not sure he's available.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think DET would be interested depending on price, they need a goalie badly.

To NYR - 2020 2nd (Edmonton/Washington), Michael Rasmussen & Dennis Cholowski

To DET - Alexandar Georgiev & Ryan Strome/Tony DeAngelo

I'm sure I'm off on value here though.
DeAngelo isn't available for anything close to this, let alone adding Georgiev on top of it

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
None of these players look like attractive options for the Rangers.

If Chicago wanted an upgrade in goal next year then they had one... his name is Robin Lehner. Shouldn't have traded him. Instead they opted to keep a 35 year old goalie with no real value. :laugh:

Reactions: Meeqs

its josh

May 13, 2020

-Drake Caggiula
-Slater Koekkoek
-Lucas Carlsson
-Michal Teply
-Alex Vlasic

Curious what Rangers fans think

I'd rather keep using 3 goalies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
None of these players look like attractive options for the Rangers.

If Chicago wanted an upgrade in goal next year then they had one... his name is Robin Lehner. Shouldn't have traded him. Instead they opted to keep a 35 year old goalie with no real value. :laugh:
Crawford was better than Lehner down the stretch. Lehner's play tanked big time at the end of the season. He was asking for what is speculated to be closer to Bobrovsky level money so the Hawks couldn't reach an agreement with him so he got traded. Which was the right move. 8M+ for a goalie that can't win shootouts isn't the key to success. Also Slava Demin was a good add for the Hawks.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Rangers don't want to take salary back for Georgiev, so any player that is being traded for needs to be either on an ELC, unsigned draft pick, or yet to occur draft pick

Team needs depth forwards who can make an impact long term at this point.

Jake Wise I'd be interested in, not sure he's available.
I've always liked Jake Wise so I personally wouldn't want to give up on him, but the Hawks need to do something to do something about the goalie situation. If he ends up being a casualty, I'd understand. I think they'd make him available if it meant fixing the goalie problem here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad