Confirmed with Link: Alex Volkov on waivers for contract termination

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Never understood the Volkov hype, yeah he scored a couple opportunist goals, but what are his strengths? He looked HORRID all off season not surprised to see this at all, have fun in the K.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Casting no aspersions on where he comes from, but effort's clearly not a word in his personal vocabulary. :laugh:

Again, AT THE TIME OF THE PROSPECTS POLL, we hadn't seen Volkov piss about in preseason yet. He was a capable 3rd / 4th-liner at season's end. Happy to eat crow now, though.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And to think this guy was on the top 25 prospect rankings lol.

When a guy has already reached the NHL and is still prospect eligible, it would be indefensible to NOT have him listed in favor of a bunch of longshot prospects.

The fact remains that the majority of the prospects on that list will not stick in the NHL any longer than Volkov. May even be some who never even end up signing an AHL deal.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Just as a side note, Morand has 16 points in 25 AHL games since being traded for Volkov. Another loss of a trade for Murray.

Eh, he took a shot at trying to improve the bottom six and traded a guy who I think is a career minor leaguer. Doesn't really move the needle much for me either way, unlike some other transactions.

As an aside, cool to see Morand looks better under the coach in Syracuse, who just so happens to be Bo Groulx's dad. Reunification in Anaheim, perhaps? ;)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Eh, he took a shot at trying to improve the bottom six and traded a guy who I think is a career minor leaguer. Doesn't really move the needle much for me either way, unlike some other transactions.

As an aside, cool to see Morand looks better under the coach in Syracuse, who just so happens to be Bo Groulx's dad. Reunification in Anaheim, perhaps? ;)
and that's about all he ever does now. low risk low reward moves.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This is probably the best for everyone. Volkov gets to go home and play hockey in Russia and the Ducks get out of his salary and another contract spot (although they don't seem to have a problem with the 50 contract limit this year)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How is even helping the NHL club at this point? Trade for Fleury, lose him for nothing in the expansion draft. Trade Morand for a guy you're terminating his contract for a year later. all this moves he keeps making don't amount to anything and just end up not even being employed by the team not long after.

I'm curious what Murray defenders like yourself see that he's actually doing to help the team at this point?

WTF are you crying about? You were just crying about Morand, right? Morand is at the bottom of the talent groupings, but you're overinflating this just to say I'm defending Murray because he's trying to improve the bottom talent at the NHL level? Talk about having cognitive dissonance.

and that's about all he ever does now. low risk low reward moves.

ICYMI, we've been in a rebuild mode for the past two seasons and pushing for youths. But all you're looking at is the results as opposed to what Murray has tried to do high reward moves with trying to trade for RHD Justin Faulk, PLD, or Eichel. I thought Murray was going to acquire two top-6 forwards for this season and disappointed when we did nothing. Since those deals didn't pan out, then Murray has taken a longer view for this team, apparently.

Murray has a plan. It isn't one that you wanted. It isn't one that I wanted. It isn't one that many of us wanted, but there actually is a plan and it's going via the scenic route. I can't help you if you think there are two possibilities of hate Murray or defend Murray because there's a whole array in between those two extremes. I guess that's why you can construct cognitive dissonance by crying about a bottom level talent like Morand being given up only to boast that Murray only does low level moves. Why cry about Morand in the first place?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Hopefully management doesn't use this as an excuse to stop going after Russians for another decade plus.
I think the only Russian that Murray would really like drafting in the top5 overall would be Matvei Michkov 2023 because he's gonna be the closest thing to a Ovi level Russian prospect since well...Ovi.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think the only Russian that Murray would really like drafting in the top5 overall would be Matvei Michkov 2023 because he's gonna be the closest thing to a Ovi level Russian prospect since well...Ovi.

Not necessarily thinking first round, just overall. Neglecting all Russians could be passing up the best player. We just went so long without a Russian, hopefully this doesn't mean they'll purposefully pass them up in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad