Confirmed with Link: Alex Volkov on waivers for contract termination

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Just as a side note, Morand has 16 points in 25 AHL games since being traded for Volkov. Another loss of a trade for Murray.

Limoges has 22 points in 26 AHL games. Points in the AHL mean next to nothing.

I'm more frustrated by the fact that I would take Volkov over Grant 10 out of 10 times. But it seems like Grant's stay in the doghouse was very short lived.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

I'm more frustrated by the fact that I would take Volkov over Grant 10 out of 10 times. But it seems like Grant's stay in the doghouse was very short lived.
not the point I was making but ok. Limoges was a FA, morand was a drafted player we traded for a guy we're terminating his contract.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
not the point I was making but ok. Limoges was a FA, morand was a drafted player we traded for a guy we're terminating his contract.

My point is that a player having points in the AHL means nothing in terms of winning or losing a trade, because points in the AHL means basically nothing.

If Volkov played in the AHL he would probably be doing very well too, but that also wouldn't affect the win/loss factor of the trade. It seems like a wash.

Reactions: duckpuck

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My point is that a player having points in the AHL means nothing in terms of winning or losing a trade, because points in the AHL means basically nothing.

If Volkov played in the AHL he would probably be doing very well too, but that also wouldn't affect the win/loss factor of the trade. It seems like a wash.
It helps our farm team and system...

Reactions: Ducks DVM

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
It helps our farm team and system...

Eh, sure. But I have to say that's a pretty negligible bonus. I'm guessing if Morand was on our currently depleted Gulls he wouldn't be lighting it up and people would be chastising Bob for not taking a chance on a potential high-skill guy like Volkov.

Not that I'm a fan of Bob.

Reactions: Boo Boo

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Eh, sure. But I have to say that's a pretty negligible bonus. I'm guessing if Morand was on our currently depleted Gulls he wouldn't be lighting it up and people would be chastising Bob for not taking a chance on a potential high-skill guy like Volkov.

Not that I'm a fan of Bob.
Players like that help develop players like Perreault, Zegras, Drysdale etc. You are definitely undervaluing having veterans and point producers in the AHL.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Players like that help develop players like Perreault, Zegras, Drysdale etc. You are definitely undervaluing AHL players.

I'm not undervaluing AHL players. They have their purpose. But I think trading an AHL player is worth the chance that a guy like Volkov breaks out with us.

Not to mention Morand had 6 points in 21GP on a stacked Gulls team.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

I can’t get too mad at Bob for this one. He took a chance by flipping a mid-level prospect and a 7th round pick for a winger that looked capable of playing in the NHL. Unfortunately, Volkov had a bad camp.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Just as a side note, Morand has 16 points in 25 AHL games since being traded for Volkov. Another loss of a trade for Murray.

Morand with the Gulls was 6 points in 21 games last year. The year before, Morand had 16 points in 54 AHL games.

I'm kinda lost with this notion. GM Murray is getting berated for doing things to help improve the NHL club. The Fleury trade worked out here (prior to the expansion draft). Volkov didn't work out here, despite producing 8 points (4g, 4a) in 18 games with the Ducks. Volkov has talent, but why he didn't bring it this off-season when there are top-9 positions open for him is frustrating for us Duck fans. It's a low risk gamble to trade for Volkov, who has had NHL burn, for Morand.

In the AHL, Volkov has 1 point (0g, 1a) in two games with a -2. At age 24, he should be looking to be more aggressive and dominating the AHL. It sucks that he doesn't want to try on NA ice, but it doesn't help that the KHL is also there waiting for him.

Talent is there for Volkov. He got his wish to be traded for more playing time, but, unfortunately, his drive just wasn't there going into this season. I was hoping he would have made the team, but his mentality to push himself isn't there.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Morand with the Gulls was 6 points in 21 games last year. The year before, Morand had 16 points in 54 AHL games.

I'm kinda lost with this notion. GM Murray is getting berated for doing things to help improve the NHL club. The Fleury trade worked out here (prior to the expansion draft). Volkov didn't work out here, despite producing 8 points (4g, 4a) in 18 games with the Ducks. Volkov has talent, but why he didn't bring it this off-season when there are top-9 positions open for him is frustrating for us Duck fans. It's a low risk gamble to trade for Volkov, who has had NHL burn, for Morand.

In the AHL, Volkov has 1 point (0g, 1a) in two games with a -2. At age 24, he should be looking to be more aggressive and dominating the AHL. It sucks that he doesn't want to try on NA ice, but it doesn't help that the KHL is also there waiting for him.

Talent is there for Volkov. He got his wish to be traded for more playing time, but, unfortunately, his drive just wasn't there going into this season. I was hoping he would have made the team, but his mentality to push himself isn't there.
How is even helping the NHL club at this point? Trade for Fleury, lose him for nothing in the expansion draft. Trade Morand for a guy you're terminating his contract for a year later. all this moves he keeps making don't amount to anything and just end up not even being employed by the team not long after.

I'm curious what Murray defenders like yourself see that he's actually doing to help the team at this point?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Off ice clubhouse attitude is very important to GMBM especially now with young kids. Grant clearly brings that to the table, a lot of these entitled Russians are the polar opposite in hockey. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad