Player Discussion Alex Stalock

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
KK is 6th in GAA, and 7th in Save % in the AHL. He's doing well, but it's not like he's tearing up the league. He should only be brought up if he can play a significant amount of games.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing him up for a game or two to give him a taste of the NHL, then send him back down for more work. An injury is bound to happen at some point, also.

This all presupposes that Dubnyk gets his act together. He is by no means the only problem on this team, but he is not a strongpoint any more, either.

Reactions: AKL

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How about we wait for the end of the season statistics? 23 is actually really young for a goaltender.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
By being one of the best goalies in the AHL? What is it that you are missing here? Like do you realize that when a player moves to a new level and dominates it right away (17 gamezzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!), it's actually A LOT better than a player struggling for 2 seasons before dominating it? You realize that quick transition displays a way higher talent level than someone who takes a long time to establish himself?

And like I said:

"We'll see what happens in the 2nd half here, but so far he has shown to be ready to play in the NHL next season (one of the best goalies in the AHL)."

Anything can always happen, but if he keeps this up and that bad stretch was only a bit of an anomaly, he should move up next season.

Just because a guy does well over 17 games does not mean he has conquered that level of play. It's a good sign that he has done well, but 17 games of doing well doesn't mean he's ready to make the next jump. Especially a jump as huge as AHL to NHL. It's 17 f***ing games. That's not a statistically significant sample size by any means.

And yeah, you might have said "we'll see what happens", but you're trying to etch his name in stone already, so you're in fact, NOT WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Spending two more years in the AHL will not ruin him. Not even close. And if he does somehow force his way up before then, you can easily dump Stalock. However, it's not like he's going to get a ton of games anyway, because Dubnyk is still under contract playing 60-65 games per season for two more years. It's better to have him in the AHL as the starter than the NHL as a backup. Goalies need playing time to improve.

Come on, this isn't hard.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Just for the record, I never said he should become the backup or starter in the NHL now. I was always talking about next season. Outside that one bad stretch he has done great, and if that continues he ends up with 40-50 games being one of the better goalies in the AHL.

Raanta came over 1 year older than Kaapo and played a total of 25 games in the AHL split between 2 seasons (with worse stats than Kaapo currently), spending the majority of his first 4 seasons as an NHL backup. Now he's one of the best goalies in the NHL (when healthy). Kaapo is not going to re-sign if he keeps playing like this and is buried in the AHL next season, it's not just good for development (or financially).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Remember what the Hamburgler did in 24 games in the NHL in 2015? 20-1-2 record, 1.79 GAA, .941 save %.

That was in the best league in the world. He's played 31 NHL games since then, and not because of injury. It's simply not even close to a big enough sample size.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Remember what the Hamburgler did in 24 games in the NHL in 2015? 20-1-2 record, 1.79 GAA, .941 save %.

That was in the best league in the world. He's played 31 NHL games since then, and not because of injury. It's simply not even close to a big enough sample size.
Again, I'm not waiving Stalock and bringing him up today based on these 17 games. My argument was always related to the possible Stalock extension which obviously goes beyond this season, and contingent on Kaapo continuing to play great this season and possibly having a long playoff run as well, which I think is a reasonable expectation/hope to have (looking at his career so far and talent level).

If he continues to perform, ideally you'd have him, if not the regular backup, at least playing a dozen or so games in the NHL next season. Possibly have him as the regular backup but sending him to Iowa at times to get into some games. Feel like that would be difficult if you are locking yourself to Stalock as the "established backup" for many years.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Again, I'm not waiving Stalock and bringing him up today based on these 17 games. My argument was always related to the possible Stalock extension which obviously goes beyond this season, and contingent on Kaapo continuing to play great this season and possibly having a long playoff run as well, which I think is a reasonable expectation/hope to have (looking at his career so far and talent level).

If he continues to perform, ideally you'd have him, if not the regular backup, at least playing a dozen or so games in the NHL next season. Possibly have him as the regular backup but sending him to Iowa at times to get into some games. Feel like that would be difficult if you are locking yourself to Stalock as the "established backup" for many years.
Sure, makes sense. Stalock is currently on a 2-way, correct? They could just send him to the minors in a year or two. I don't think it's too big of a problem.

Plus, there's a real possibility Fenton doesn't like what he sees in Dubnyk in the next couple years and decides to ditch him as well.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Sure, makes sense. Stalock is currently on a 2-way, correct? They could just send him to the minors in a year or two. I don't think it's too big of a problem.

Plus, there's a real possibility Fenton doesn't like what he sees in Dubnyk in the next couple years and decides to ditch him as well.
Correct, he's on a 2-way currently. But he's been pretty good this year, and if they give him like a 2 year 1-way contract at 1M/yr, suddenly it becomes a lot more difficult to ease in and give minutes to the younger guy.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I don't like the idea of going into next year with Kaakonen as the NHL backup. I do like the idea of getting him a handful of NHL starts. Let him spend the year as the clear #1 in Iowa getting a ton of games, but reward that with some starts for the big club. Having a young kid like that only play ~15 games in a season, is a bad idea. IMO

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't like the idea of going into next year with Kaakonen as the NHL backup. I do like the idea of getting him a handful of NHL starts. Let him spend the year as the clear #1 in Iowa getting a ton of games, but reward that with some starts for the big club. Having a young kid like that only play ~15 games in a season, is a bad idea. IMO
Agreed. And whatever one's feelings on Stalock are, once/if Kahkonen earns his spot in Minnesota it'll be pretty easy to move Stalock if his contract's reasonable.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I think the biggest thing KK needs right now is the ability to see a ton of shots in both practice and games. This really means being the 1. Since Dubynk has two years left on a really team friendly deal that means it would take a trade to open up a spot in the NHL so I would be fine with a two year deal with Stalock as long as its cheap. He's a fine backup, not great who is fun to watch and can kinda pull a Prosser where he doesn't seem to suffer from long sitting spells. KK takes the number one spot this year and next in Iowa puts him probably at about the spot where he would be ready to challenge for an nhl spot at either the backup or starter spot in the beginning of the 2020 year when both Dubynk and Stalock would have one year left on their deal (in this scenario) that's some real quality depth and options to use. KK would need a new deal after his time in Iowa but he could be put on a bridge deal which would pay him back up or minors money depending on how he shook out in the competition.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
In your opinion, how many of the four goals last night were wholly on Stalock?

I think at least two of them he needs to stop, maybe even three (or on a good night, all of them).

I fight like hell to backup any MN-born NHLer (much less from a local community), blood's thicker than water and all that, but he's just not cutting it, IMO.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not trying to make excuses but i doubt the goalie is going to stand on their head when the rest of the team is leaving a brown skid mark on the ice.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
not trying to make excuses but i doubt the goalie is going to stand on their head when the rest of the team is leaving a brown skid mark on the ice.
Nashville's first goal came on their 5th shot of the game. It was 1 minute into the 2nd period. Last night's game was on Stalock

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
That short-sider last night? Oooof...just horrid.

Here's the deal. The good news is they are grinding out wins; the bad news is the goaltending can be so suspect on a given night they have to toss a ton of goals in to get wins.

Stalock, like Dubnyk last I watched him, seems to be slowing down.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Stalock is a mess right now, but since they are winning and the guys seem to like him I wouldn't chance a thing.

Im obviously bit biased, since I've always liked his personality and disliked Dubs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It wasn't just the obvious short sider, but two shots were just off the ice and right in the middle of the net. Both weren't deflected, and one from long distance. No expert here, but, dekes aside, shouldn't the stick be covering the 5 hole, especially for a medium to,long distance shot? It shouldn't be hanging out in the air, should it?

Last edited:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It could be argued Stalock saved the win down the stretch with some huge saves late in the game.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He must save the short-sider. Then I agree, I believe that one where he kind of flopped around afterword (semi-breakaway) - I think he has to save as well, IF he intends to make the NHL a career thing.

The bottom line is: Stalock got a few millions stashed away so he milked enough out of his skills to be done with it (by force or by choice) in the near future and live a comfortable life, perhaps coach in SSP for the rest of his Golden years.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It could be argued Stalock saved the win down the stretch with some huge saves late in the game.

He shouldn't have put the team in the tight situation going down the stretch - he's just got to save that one (and perhaps even two or three) that he let in if he's to be a legitimate tender. Dude reminds me of the literal version on Denis Lemieux on any given night.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do give him credit for not falling apart and being clutch in the last half of the 3rd, though a lot of the "shots" were saved by teammates, not him. He himself said he didn't have a good game, so at least he is aware. In a lot of other games this season he has done the job, though i get that he is not starting material long term.

At least we don't have a lot of money invested in our goalies like they do in FLA and MTL.

Reactions: TaLoN and Bazeek

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yes I agree he does have his moments and when Dubnyk was on, Stalock seemed to do the job as needed (whatever it was 20 or so starts a season). For Stalock to get the job done though, his 'A' game has to always be on, because his 'B' or less game just isn't sufficient enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad