Player Discussion Alex Stalock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He has been a consistent bright spot in an otherwise odd season. With all the injuries, having consistent goaltending has been a huge relief.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I wonder if he's scored a goal before. I think he has a legit change to get an empty netter in his NHL career. It felt like he was thinking that a couple times against OTT. He wanted to play a puck after he covered it with the empty net but the whistle blew.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I wonder if he's scored a goal before. I think he has a legit change to get an empty netter in his NHL career. It felt like he was thinking that a couple times against OTT. He wanted to play a puck after he covered it with the empty net but the whistle blew.
He definitely has the ability. I remember him getting an unsportsmanlike penalty at the Kohl Center for firing the puck down towards the badger goal after getting scored on.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Guy is just fun to watch out there. He probably skates 10 miles with his little skates to the corners every time he makes a save or there's a whistle :laugh:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo mentioned on the latest podcast (around 27:20) that they might be close to extending Stalock for multiple years. As long as he stays pretty cheap I can't complain. As backups go he's been alright.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo mentioned on the latest podcast (around 27:20) that they might be close to extending Stalock for multiple years. As long as he stays pretty cheap I can't complain. As backups go he's been alright.

How many years is multiple years? 2@750k? Sure, I'm down. Eventually you gotta make room for Kahkonen to have a go though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We'll see on KK. He's come back down to earth in Iowa. Still has promise, though.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I would like to see some God/Hesus -like instant saviours, because building an actual winning team is slow and agonising.

I'm also drunk.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Would be very disappointed if they gave Stalock the backup role going forward. That should be Kaapo's job next season, he has the potential to be the next starter and has to take that next step (moving to NHL). This is not a 20 year old coming from juniors, he's 23 next season with multiple years of pro experience.

Speaking of Kaapo and coming "back down to earth", yesterday he was one minute away from second consecutive shutout again. His stats are actually bizarre. He has played 17 games and let in 42 goals. From December 5th to 21st, in 5 five games, he let in 26 goals (5.2 per game, including a crazy 11 PP goals with 3 on them being 5-on-3). In the other 12 games he has let in 16 goals (1.33 per game). A "tough stretch" would be an understatement.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would be very disappointed if they gave Stalock the backup role going forward. That should be Kaapo's job next season, he has the potential to be the next starter and has to take that next step (moving to NHL). This is not a 20 year old coming from juniors, he's 23 next season with multiple years of pro experience.

Speaking of Kaapo and coming "back down to earth", yesterday he was one minute away from second consecutive shutout again. His stats are actually bizarre. He has played 17 games and let in 42 goals. From December 5th to 21st, in 5 five games, he let in 26 goals (5.2 per game, including a crazy 11 PP goals with 3 on them being 5-on-3). In the other 12 games he has let in 16 goals (1.33 per game). A "tough stretch" would be an understatement.

Kahkonen has to be ready for the backup role before you etch his name into it. No harm in letting him be the starter for a couple more seasons in Iowa.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Kahkonen has to be ready for the backup role before you etch his name into it. No harm in letting him be the starter for a couple more seasons in Iowa.
Like I said, he's 23 next season. "Couple more seasons in Iowa" is simply not an option.

We'll see what happens in the 2nd half here, but so far he has shown to be ready to play in the NHL next season (one of the best goalies in the AHL). He's used to play a lot so the backup role could be a bit of an adjustment but nonetheless, he needs to start playing with NHL speed and shooters.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Like I said, he's 23 next season. "Couple more seasons in Iowa" is simply not an option.

We'll see what happens in the 2nd half here, but so far he has shown to be ready to play in the NHL next season (one of the best goalies in the AHL). He's used to play a lot so the backup role could be a bit of an adjustment but nonetheless, he needs to start playing with NHL speed and shooters.

How has he shown he's ready to be an NHL regular next season? He's played 17 games in North America and 0 in the NHL. I can guarantee you a 23 year old goalie still has aspects to his game that he can work on.

A couple more seasons in Iowa simply IS an option.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
How has he shown he's ready to be an NHL regular next season? He's played 17 games in North America and 0 in the NHL. I can guarantee you a 23 year old goalie still has aspects to his game that he can work on.

A couple more seasons in Iowa simply IS an option.
Because he's 22, was one of the best goalies in the Finnish league last season, and is one of the best goalies in the AHL this season. That simple. You beat one level, move on to the next. Natural progression. Like I'd get it if this was a 20 year old coming off juniors or college learning to play against men, but he's not.

Dude, it's not an option. Just because a player has aspects he can work on doesn't mean he stays in the AHL till his mid 20s. What a laughable suggestion.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because he's 22, was one of the best goalies in the Finnish league last season, and is one of the best goalies in the AHL this season. That simple. You beat one level, move on to the next. Natural progression. Like I'd get it if this was a 20 year old coming off juniors or college learning to play against men, but he's not.

Dude, it's not an option. Just because a player has aspects he can work on doesn't mean he stays in the AHL till his mid 20s. What a laughable suggestion.

17 games.

17 games.

17 games.

How did he beat the AHL in 17 games?

It's common sense. Employ some.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
17 games.

17 games.

17 games.

How did he beat the AHL in 17 games?

It's common sense. Employ some.
By being one of the best goalies in the AHL? What is it that you are missing here? Like do you realize that when a player moves to a new level and dominates it right away (17 gamezzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!), it's actually A LOT better than a player struggling for 2 seasons before dominating it? You realize that quick transition displays a way higher talent level than someone who takes a long time to establish himself?

And like I said:

"We'll see what happens in the 2nd half here, but so far he has shown to be ready to play in the NHL next season (one of the best goalies in the AHL)."

Anything can always happen, but if he keeps this up and that bad stretch was only a bit of an anomaly, he should move up next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad