Alex Semin II (Mod Warning Post#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I think that Semin is still going to get another opportunity depending on his performance in practice and ability to pick up the system. The fact that Mitchell is on the 2nd line, instead of a prospect or trade shows that he's may get another chance.

I don't believe he doesn't care, he seemed pretty devastated when he got that penalty and jubilant when the won the game in OT. It's not that he's unwilling but unable to make those changes at the moment.

Conversations, video and practice is where Semin needs to focus right now. Skipping that optional was a mistake, and hopefully he sees that now.

That said, I think he's done and the game has sped past him. I would love to be wrong about this, but Semin was acquired on the cheap, and sometimes you get what you pay for. After waiving or buying him out, it would be best for Bergevin to look within the organization as no one is trading right now, and the Habs are doing well enough not to make a desperate deal.

Very good post. Your last paragraphis exactly was I'm thinking.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So back to putting a grinder who's not scoring next to Galchenyuk?..You said Flash is a lefty so Weise would be moving up? But he's not scoring anymore and as you said, that's normal, everyone expects him to come back to earth.
Our three best goal scorers are on the top line (when you exclude Weise who's lucky more than skilled imo). Move one down. Seems painfully obvious to me.

Well you suggested top line was cold and 3rd was on fire so we should swap from top line. I showed you otherwise and now swapping cold lines is no longer good enough.

Either way, what is obvious is Semin won't jump from 3rd line to 1st. Gallagher won't go from 1st to 3rd(they may end up playing 2nd line minutes but no guarantee).

Semin has a better chance of success with a former line mate and DD vs Semin. Not to mention the suggestion you made about using Semin on and off on top line isn't sustainable. We are a legit contender this year. We'd get eaten alive running back and forth adjusting our best line 20 times a game depending on the start.

Either way, we'll eventually try him somewhere else but if he can't handle the pace on his current line I doubt we'll see him move up the lineup that dramatically.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Mitchell is a 4th liner, always been always will be...

it fits with the idea of trying DSP, Byron or Flynn with Galchenyuk on the 3rd...

will it ba ANOTHER failed experiment on MT part ? probably...

Someone has to play with Galchenyuk and Eller and it shouldn't be Semin. Who the hell is MT suppose to try there?

Besides, there really is no rush to find that RW. As long as it's addressed at the trade deadline (which makes sense cap-wise), we're golden.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Someone has to play with Galchenyuk and Eller and it shouldn't be Semin. Who the hell is MT suppose to try there?

Besides, there really is no rush to find that RW. As long as it's addressed at the trade deadline (which makes sense cap-wise), we're golden.

some people need to be reminded that after our amazing 9-0 start, we've only won 5 of the following 10 games...

things can go one way or another pretty fast.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
some people need to be reminded that after our amazing 9-0 start, we've only won 5 of the following 10 games...

things can go one way or another pretty fast.

If Habs only plays for .500 the rest of the way, they'll still make the playoffs. And many games without Price. So yeah, there is no rush.

Mitchell is the last 4th liner to be try with Eller-Galchenyuk. Then Semin could be try a last time. Then the best RW from St-John. Then a trade.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If Habs only plays for .500 the rest of the way, they'll still make the playoffs. And many games without Price. So yeah, there is no rush.

Mitchell is the last 4th liner to be try with Eller-Galchenyuk. Then Semin could be try a last time. Then the best RW from St-John. Then a trade.

that would give the Habs 93 pts...

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I've personally seen & have had enough. Sure there's the Petry Poutine but I want another McDonald's item on the Habs menu...& I want it now. Call up the Mac!

McDonald_s_Big_Mac.jpg

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Mac is playing much better at C than he's ever played at RW, why do we want to call him up, rush him to the NHL and put him back at RW; especially when you have a RW in St. John's who is 27 and one point off the AHL lead.

It makes perfect sense that Holloway is the first call up to try the Semin spot (when they finally give up on Semin, which hasn't happened yet IMO).

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I think Semin will be getting another shot. Either that or there is a trade in the works. Otherwise why not waive him already? Put him on DD's left; Flash left of AG and Eller on AG's right. Seems like DD's line is cooling off a bit so might be the time to mix it up a bit anyway.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Mac is playing much better at C than he's ever played at RW, why do we want to call him up, rush him to the NHL and put him back at RW; especially when you have a RW in St. John's who is 27 and one point off the AHL lead.

It makes perfect sense that Holloway is the first call up to try the Semin spot (when they finally give up on Semin, which hasn't happened yet IMO).

It does make sense Holloway would be the guy but McCarron is a close 2nd.

Even if McCarron is now a center I'm doubtful he'll start at center at the NHL level.

Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller
Mitchell

all signed for next year. You'd have to put 2 at wing or trade 2 to make it happen. Plekanec & Galchenyuk are locks to play C and Eller/DD usually will compete for 3rd line C spot.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think Semin will be getting another shot. Either that or there is a trade in the works. Otherwise why not waive him already? Put him on DD's left; Flash left of AG and Eller on AG's right. Seems like DD's line is cooling off a bit so might be the time to mix it up a bit anyway.

I'm doubtful MT puts a line with 3 Lefties.

Semin/Holloway/DSP/whoever is used in the middle 6 and Weise will always be on 2 different lines.

Flash & Eller will always be on two different lines. The exception is if Eller is the center.

tresHabs

Oct 22, 2015
Been a real shame not seeing Semin out there the last 9.5 games. I'm really pissed Therrien throwing away any potential future developing this guy as Hab. It's likely killed off his confidence sitting him for 9.5 straight, and after such a small sample size of just 9-0!.

He wasn't terrible, he never looked that terrible. And the more he sits, the more I can actually sympathize with him for just not giving a ****.
He's obviously done here now and it's so early and it's a real shame. He's a veteran ffs, give the guy some ice time to help him settle in

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Max Pacioretty about Alexander Semin recent play

“I talk to Semin here and there,†Pacioretty said. “Obviously, the situation right now just presented itself. He’s had a lot of success in this league. If the opportunity comes where I feel like he needs to talk or he says he needs to talk then, obviously, I’m there for him and we’re all here for him. He’s not a guy that pouts or does the wrong things.

“I’ve said it before — he’s a professional for sure,†the captain added about Semin. “I genuinely believe he’s a big part of this group and the guys feel confident that hopefully he can be here for a long time and work out of this and be a big part of this team, because he’s got the skill to do it. And if we can get his confidence going, we feel that he can be a big part of this group.â€

Pacioretty’s wife, Katia, is Russian and is the sister of former NHL player Maxim Afinogenov. As a result, Pacioretty has learned a few standard words of Russian that he likes to try on Semin.

“He always throws a word at me that I don’t understand and I have to ask him what that means,†Pacioretty said. “We’ve got a great Russian community here on the team now (along with Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Alex Galchenyuk). My wife is close with all the Russian families and I know she talks to his wife often. We live in the same community. I feel a little bit of an extra bond with the Russian guys.â€

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/game-day-report-captain-pacioretty-stands-up-for-semin

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Been a real shame not seeing Semin out there the last 9.5 games. I'm really pissed Therrien throwing away any potential future developing this guy as Hab. It's likely killed off his confidence sitting him for 9.5 straight, and after such a small sample size of just 9-0!.

He wasn't terrible, he never looked that terrible. And the more he sits, the more I can actually sympathize with him for just not giving a ****.
He's obviously done here now and it's so early and it's a real shame. He's a veteran ffs, give the guy some ice time to help him settle in

Not sure what you've been watching, but Semin has gotten a bigger chance than most in the role he is in(with Glachenyuk). Guys called up from AHL don't get 20 games to get their feet wet until teams expect them to contribute.

Semin has been repeatedly been put in a position to produce offense and he's done very little of it...spare me the "MT never gave him a chance " BS. He's gotten tons of chances, it falls on him to capitalize, he's nearing the end of his NHL career unless he starts making things happen.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
No forward has gotten a greater percentage of Offensive zone starts than alex semin
No forward has gotten a weaker Qualcompcorsi for his opponents than Alex Semin

He's also played with Galchenyuk and Eller.

Don't give me this B.S. about not being given a chance.

And what has he done with it.

Sure his corsi is good (and those of Galchenyuk and Eller improve with him on the line) but lets dig deeper....

In terms of shooting from good areas... shots from the hexagon region that are considered scoring chances.... Semin is 11th on the team in dangerous shot attempts per minute played (and I only counted forwards... some defencemen are even ahead of him in this).

According to sportlogic as of October 29th, he had 0 shot attempts from the slot on the season (havent' seen an update to that tweet).

So yeah, he's got possession and shot attempts, but they are all from non dangerous areas according to those who track where shot attempts come from.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No forward has gotten a greater percentage of Offensive zone starts than alex semin
No forward has gotten a weaker Qualcompcorsi for his opponents than Alex Semin

He's also played with Galchenyuk and Eller.

Don't give me this B.S. about not being given a chance.

And what has he done with it.

Sure his corsi is good (and those of Galchenyuk and Eller improve with him on the line) but lets dig deeper....

In terms of shooting from good areas... shots from the hexagon region that are considered scoring chances.... Semin is 11th on the team in dangerous shot attempts per minute played.

According to sportlogic as of October 29th, he had 0 shot attempts from the slot on the season (havent' seen an update to that tweet).

So yeah, he's got possession and shot attempts, but they are all from non dangerous areas according to those who track where shot attempts come from.

The fact that he has so few quality shots despite a ton of o-zone starts is a big red flag. Obviously it's easier to have a good Corsi if you have a higher percentage of o-zone starts also as you are 30 feet from the opposing net and about 150 feet from your own when a lot of shifts start...

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Not sure what you've been watching, but Semin has gotten a bigger chance than most in the role he is in(with Glachenyuk). Guys called up from AHL don't get 20 games to get their feet wet until teams expect them to contribute.

Semin has been repeatedly been put in a position to produce offense and he's done very little of it...spare me the "MT never gave him a chance " BS. He's gotten tons of chances, it falls on him to capitalize, he's nearing the end of his NHL career unless he starts making things happen.

Isn't that the point? To give him more opportunities to make things happen? MT might have given him ONE chance but he pulled it from under him pretty quickly, other players have been tried on different lines, with different players, or in some obvious cases left on the same line with the same players much longer for things to unblock. Granted, some lines are untouchable this year, or at least were. He's a veteran sure and more is expected of him but to say he's had all the chances in the world is a little unfair.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Isn't that the point? To give him more opportunities to make things happen? MT might have given him ONE chance but he pulled it from under him pretty quickly, other players have been tried on different lines, with different players, or in some obvious cases left on the same line with the same players much longer for things to unblock. Granted, some lines are untouchable this year, or at least were. He's a veteran sure and more is expected of him but to say he's had all the chances in the world is a little unfair.

He may had only two chancea... But is was a lllooonnnngggg 10 games chance... 12% of the season.... And is comeback was not reinsuring...

He seem to working hard in the practice ( base on articles)... But his execution on ice in a game is very slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad