Alex Semin II (Mod Warning Post#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I really wished Semin would've work out, but it's obvious the penalty he took last night will put him in the doghouse forever. It looked bad to me, so imagine how Therrien saw it. He's done here, unfortunately.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's done here, unfortunately.

He might as well get his start as the new James Bond, in the sequel of Spectre ...

ubfgv.jpg

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I really wished Semin would've work out, but it's obvious the penalty he took last night will put him in the doghouse forever. It looked bad to me, so imagine how Therrien saw it. He's done here, unfortunately.

Therrien himself said that Semin just needs to adjust to how the team plays, I hate Therrien for this team but at least he's giving Semin a way out of the doghouse. Its all on Alex now.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I find it ironic that you used to claim Desharnais playing next to Pacioretty on the top line made sense despite him being worse than Plekanec because it maximized our offence. Yet when the same logic is used for Semin, it's unthinkable.

Both Plekanec and Pacioretty have shown in the past the ability to produce with crappy linemates. Briere and Parenteau got their chances next to both Pacioretty and Plekanec, there's no reason for Semin not too get a similar opportunity.

Desharnais and Plekanec had relatively similar offensive capabilities.

Even if you disagree Desharnais and Plekanec are closer than Semin and Gallagher.

While I wanted to spread the offensive we had less depth, no legit 4th line and 3rd line had no wingers. It was a necessity. Now we have all of those along with talented players in the minors.

Like PAP on top line, it was tried but didn't last long and people rejoiced when Gallagher and Plekanec joined Pacioretty.

Now...MT has kept the line and we want to throw back another PAP type(Semin) and expect different results?

Also, Pacioretty isn't at his best this year. Many speculate his injury left him little time to get his strength back so he's not 100%. So it's a little different, also because that line has defensive responsibility whereas Pacioretty had high OZS in the past.

Oct 22, 2012
These comments are similar to what Bill Peters said last year.

This is what advanced stats dont tell you, and thats not knocking them. I think they are very useful.

Semin can be in the best shape of his life, but it doesnt matter if it takes him that extra couple seconds to make a decision. Its a pity because he still has mad skills.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Desharnais and Plekanec had relatively similar offensive capabilities.

Even if you disagree Desharnais and Plekanec are closer than Semin and Gallagher.

While I wanted to spread the offensive we had less depth, no legit 4th line and 3rd line had no wingers. It was a necessity. Now we have all of those along with talented players in the minors.

Like PAP on top line, it was tried but didn't last long and people rejoiced when Gallagher and Plekanec joined Pacioretty.

Now...MT has kept the line and we want to throw back another PAP type(Semin) and expect different results?

Also, Pacioretty isn't at his best this year. Many speculate his injury left him little time to get his strength back so he's not 100%. So it's a little different, also because that line has defensive responsibility whereas Pacioretty had high OZS in the past.

So why go after Semin or Kassian then? Briere failed. PAP failed. Why go with the same reclamation deal and expect different results?
Why sign a guy coming from Europe hyped up like Holloway after the Sekac scenario??

Does't matter at this point. Semin is here. We tried him on one single line. It hasn't worked. Try another one.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
So why go after Semin or Kassian then? Briere failed. PAP failed. Why go with the same reclamation deal and expect different results?
Why sign a guy coming from Europe hyped up like Holloway after the Sekac scenario??

Does't matter at this point. Semin is here. We tried him on one single line. It hasn't worked. Try another one.

not the first... make no sense to given him that reward... (better line mate, tougher competition, more TOI)

so sense to broke dd line for him...

he is not fit for 4th line dutie...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I don't follow.

Kassian and Semin may be reclamation projects but so was Flash in a way, PTO and all.

Weise wasn't exactly a stud in Vancouver either.

Holloway plays in the AHL and provides leadership and experience so either way he was an asset.

Specifically, Kassian saved us 750k in cap, got us a pick for a broken down 4th liner in Prust. The reclamation project had several benefits.

Semin was a 1.1 million dollar deal, could be buried. Not like PAP and Briere at 4 mil/4.5 mil a season over 2 years each.

It's also about future cap and roster spots. Were they supposed to sign a middle UFA like Frolik(or whoever) and be potentially screwed with another player who doesn't fit the system?

How about the young players in Scherbak, Andrighetto, McCarron, Hudon who were supposed to compete for a spot? Were we supposed to allocate term to stop gaps?

Again, I'm okay with trying Semin on another line but IMO he should be tried with DD if anything. Flash and Semin have experience together as well.

Again, it's not a preference to break up that line but I see no point breaking up 1st line for Semin. It was one thing if Semin were playing like a 2nd liner and you made the swap but Semin hasn't looked like a top 6 player by any stretch. It's a reach from putting him a 2nd/3rd line with OZS to a 1st line who is under heavy checking assignments.

If we do it I'll clearly cheer him on. I actually wanted this guy on the team and was disappointed when MB hadn't made a move for him at the start. We'll have to try him on another line for sure but man oh man it looks like it will be a short experiment that might interfere with other lines.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
yes-wait-wtf.gif

Mitchell to the rescue...

well he has equal stats then Eller and semin... if you add them..

without "PP" and "ZONE START" add what even crap people try to tell us...

Comeone people...

SEMIN <<<<< Mitchell this year

it's start to be ridicule... Posters are worst then Antichambre

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't follow.

Kassian and Semin may be reclamation projects but so was Flash in a way, PTO and all.

Weise wasn't exactly a stud in Vancouver either.

Holloway plays in the AHL and provides leadership and experience so either way he was an asset.

Specifically, Kassian saved us 750k in cap, got us a pick for a broken down 4th liner in Prust. The reclamation project had several benefits.

Semin was a 1.1 million dollar deal, could be buried. Not like PAP and Briere at 4 mil/4.5 mil a season over 2 years each.

It's also about future cap and roster spots. Were they supposed to sign a middle UFA like Frolik(or whoever) and be potentially screwed with another player who doesn't fit the system?

How about the young players in Scherbak, Andrighetto, McCarron, Hudon who were supposed to compete for a spot? Were we supposed to allocate term to stop gaps?

Again, I'm okay with trying Semin on another line but IMO he should be tried with DD if anything. Flash and Semin have experience together as well.

Again, it's not a preference to break up that line but I see no point breaking up 1st line for Semin. It was one thing if Semin were playing like a 2nd liner and you made the swap but Semin hasn't looked like a top 6 player by any stretch. It's a reach from putting him a 2nd/3rd line with OZS to a 1st line who is under heavy checking assignments.

If we do it I'll clearly cheer him on. I actually wanted this guy on the team and was disappointed when MB hadn't made a move for him at the start. We'll have to try him on another line for sure but man oh man it looks like it will be a short experiment that might interfere with other lines.

I don't think Semin has been as bad as he's been made out to be. I think he's created some nice things up front but they weren't completed by his linemates. If he's with Patches-Plek, maybe it's different.
You can also shelter him. When Plek-Patch are deployed in the Dzone, put another RW, when the puck is moving up, put Semin on. If it doesn't work you move on. Not the end of the world.

The DD line is firing on all cylinders. I don't see the point of breaking up a line that is on fire. The Plek line isn't doing particularly well.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Comeone people...

You know you don't have to reply to every posts on the forums right? Especially the one you don't understand.

Mitchell place is on the 4th line.
Semin place is on the waivers.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
While it makes no sense to break DD's line, I would be almost tempted to agree to put Semin there and move Weise or Fleishmann up. As a science experiment. Just to see Semin scoring again....:)

But no, it would be absurd hockey-wise.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
You know you don't have to reply to every posts on the forums right? Especially the one you don't understand.

Mitchell place is on the 4th line.
Semin place is on the waivers.

I will speak sssslllloooowwwllllyyyy since i cannot understand....

Michell is better then Semin this year without a doubt

Mitchell would be on a 3th in most of the team

Semin isn't place on the waivers yet

And I won't post again tonight cause you broke me heart...

(your gif ... "happy they change sometime... but Mitchell :cry:"... maybe that not what you think... but that what I understood... I'm dumb you know...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I will speak sssslllloooowwwllllyyyy since i cannot understand....

Michell is better then Semin this year without a doubt

Mitchell would be on a 3th in most of the team

Semin isn't place on the waivers yet

And I won't post again tonight cause you broke me heart...

(your gif ... "happy they change sometime... but Mitchell :cry:"... maybe that not what you think... but that what I understood... I'm dumb you know...

What you are doing here is called "nivellement par le bas". You are putting the standards so damn low than everyone and everything is susceptible to fit the criteria of acceptability.

Being "better than Semin" is not good enough, because who isn't?

Mitchell is a 3rd liner on a weak team or a team plagued with injuries, we are neither. Mitchell having an hot start doesn't change who he is. He got one point in his last 6 games and 13 games doesn't make a career, the guy is 1 goal away from his last year total and 5 from his career's best. So let's call a spade a spade, he's a 4th liner, a very good one in my opinion, but a 4th liner nonetheless.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't think Semin has been as bad as he's been made out to be. I think he's created some nice things up front but they weren't completed by his linemates. If he's with Patches-Plek, maybe it's different.
You can also shelter him. When Plek-Patch are deployed in the Dzone, put another RW, when the puck is moving up, put Semin on. If it doesn't work you move on. Not the end of the world.

The DD line is firing on all cylinders. I don't see the point of breaking up a line that is on fire. The Plek line isn't doing particularly well.

Weise hasn't had a point in 4 games. While I don't expect much from him he is not exactly on fire.

Pacioretty 6 points in last 5.
Plekanec 5 in last 5.
Gallagher 7 in last 5.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Weise hasn't had a point in 4 games. While I don't expect much from him he is not exactly on fire.

Pacioretty 6 points in last 5.
Plekanec 5 in last 5.
Gallagher 7 in last 5.
So back to putting a grinder who's not scoring next to Galchenyuk?..You said Flash is a lefty so Weise would be moving up? But he's not scoring anymore and as you said, that's normal, everyone expects him to come back to earth.
Our three best goal scorers are on the top line (when you exclude Weise who's lucky more than skilled imo). Move one down. Seems painfully obvious to me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Renaud "Wannabe Bobby Mac" Renaud saying last evening on TVA that Hudon is seeing time on RW lately, suggesting that if Semin's time is up, Hudon is one of the candidates who will get a shot.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Comeone people...

Mitchell is a 4th liner, always been always will be...

it fits with the idea of trying DSP, Byron or Flynn with Galchenyuk on the 3rd...

will it ba ANOTHER failed experiment on MT part ? probably...

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Renaud "Wannabe Bobby Mac" Renaud saying last evening on TVA that Charles Hudon is seeing time on RW lately, suggesting that if Semin's time is up, Hudon is one of the candidates who will get a shot.

The search for the RWer for Galchenyuk+Eller continues...!!!

Hudon: I was just thinking about it and asking people here recently...whether Hudon has ever played RW!! (for the reason above). He could be next (after Mitchell), but I hope they keep searching within the club to give more time to our prospects to develop/progress properly.

Wish Kassian was back already...to get a chance there.
(Eller-Galchenyuk-Kassian).

Semin, Flynn, Byron, DSP, and now...Mitchell!!

You can always try Semin with Flash since they played together once (but if we do this we're playing musical chairs with RWers!! then again...better to do this in regular season VS playoffs):

Pacioretty---Pleks---Weise/Gallagher
Eller---Galchenyuk---Gallagher/Weise
Fleischmann---DD---Semin
DSP---Mitchell---Flynn
Byron

Last edited:

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
I think that Semin is still going to get another opportunity depending on his performance in practice and ability to pick up the system. The fact that Mitchell is on the 2nd line, instead of a prospect or trade shows that he's may get another chance.

I don't believe he doesn't care, he seemed pretty devastated when he got that penalty and jubilant when the won the game in OT. It's not that he's unwilling but unable to make those changes at the moment.

Conversations, video and practice is where Semin needs to focus right now. Skipping that optional was a mistake, and hopefully he sees that now.

That said, I think he's done and the game has sped past him. I would love to be wrong about this, but Semin was acquired on the cheap, and sometimes you get what you pay for. After waiving or buying him out, it would be best for Bergevin to look within the organization as no one is trading right now, and the Habs are doing well enough not to make a desperate deal.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Being said like that make me think that:

Erik Cole
to
Micheal Ryder
to
Daniel Brière
to
PA Parenteau
to
Jiri Sekac
to
Devante Smith-Pelley
to
Zack Kassian
to
Alexander Semin

Bergevin has done a good job overall with the Habs.....but the search for the RW that's been going on for 4 years now has been a total failure. No trade, signing or prospect ever made it on the RW

All we got left is a distraction, a 4th line grinder and a Handicap of $1.3M for 2 years on the cap.

That search is a disaster.
I agree that MB have to stop beating around the bush and hit one right for his RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad