Alex Semin II (Mod Warning Post#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Continue here.

Also, a quick warning for this thread. We've seen enough Semin innuendo jokes to last us until the end of the year. Please refrain from using them here. Ditto for any Condon jokes.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2010
But I liked the Condon jokes :(

Semin is now a low energy player but he's smart and effective at both ends. Sometimes he needs to put a little more effort but he's usually well positioned and makes up for it. My favourite part is that he pulls off passes that no one expects and keeps the D on their toes knowing he can snipe.

That line is full of dangles.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He looks better each game. He's getting used to Eller and Galchenyuk's tendencies, and you can see him adjust his passing. He's a creative player. I like how he's pass first to be honest, despite his shot. It makes him much more dangerous in a defender's eyes. He should shoot more, but the approach he seems to have makes the line less predictable and more fluid.

I do want to see him have a more open ice chance just to have a clear look at his current skating ability. It's hard to tell in traffic with him being so tall.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Wonder what happened to that laser shot? Wrist injuries took their toll?

Regardless, he pulls off passes I wouldn't expect and makes that line better so yay for semen!

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009

Regardless, he pulls off passes I wouldn't expect and makes that line better so yay for semen!

Auto-correct strikes again (follows tendencies after all)

I think defenders are still extremely wary of his shot so he has very few opportunities to let it fly.

But as long as Galchenyuk and Eller keep scoring it's only going to be a matter of time before they loosen up their coverage and BAM! straight in the kisser

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

He damn near beat O'Connor on a "Troll Shot" from well out. A matter of inches.
The goalie picked it up at the last second.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

He still has a great shot, he took a couple of dangerous shots in the games he's played. I think, right now, that it's not that he's lost his shot just that he's trying to force passes a bit too much. I remember last game on the PP when he had a great chance for a one-timer and then just passed it off, maybe he's trying a bit too hard to create the perfect play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He definitely lost some power and accuracy on his wrist shot, but I think the slap shot is still there.
He beat Price with a huge one-timer from the slot in practice.

If he can score on Price, he can score on anyone.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
This guy won't last long the way he is playing. Expect to see someone like DSP or Flynn to take his spot on the Galchenyuk line.

No effort whatsoever, fancy plays that never work. So slow with his hands to make a play. He is dragging his line down.

The problem is, we don't really have anyone to replace him.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
He's not shooting enough. He's not getting any looks on the PP. Overall he's playing good but he can do more.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's not shooting enough. He's not getting any looks on the PP. Overall he's playing good but he can do more.

I'm still waiting to see him shoot more, but in the meantime. His passing and vision have been tremendous.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's allergic to scoring/shooting but his skill level and passing is a welcomed addition to Eller and Galchenyuk. He's made several nice plays defensively so although he makes some soft plays with puck he has the defensive zone presence to not be a PAP/Briere type.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011

He can't shoot because his hands aren't fast enough. He also loses a ton of puck battle along the boards. Maybe it was just one of those bad games, but with Therrien as coach, he won't have the luxury to have many of those.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He can't shoot because his hands aren't fast enough. He also loses a ton of puck battle along the boards. Maybe it was just one of those bad games, but with Therrien as coach, he won't have the luxury to have many of those.

Now that's a new one. I've seen every aspect of Semin's game criticized before but not his hands.
Ask the hundreds of defensemen he's undressed in his career.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think he's trying too much with the puck...sometimes he'll be mid-deke and someone will come pokecheck the puck away or just steal it. It's funny to see, but I'd rather he be more careful.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
How was he last night? I only caught parts of the game. Benched yet ? :sarcasm:

He didn't have a bad game last night, but he wasn't noticeable either. His linemates work ethic put him to shame. I wish he wouldn't 'float' around as much but I guess we knew what we were getting with him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He creates half the scoring chances on that line even when he's floating. He has not been bad by any measure.

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
This guy won't last long the way he is playing. Expect to see someone like DSP or Flynn to take his spot on the Galchenyuk line.

No effort whatsoever, fancy plays that never work. So slow with his hands to make a play. He is dragging his line down.

The problem is, we don't really have anyone to replace him.

No effort is completely out of realm comment. He is fighting a lot to get the puch, and to keep it. And to get it to his linemates. It's not easy to know each others way of playing for such players. They are east-west players, they have to learn how to play togetter. Look at Crosby - Kessel. Two of the best offensives players in this league, and still they can't find each other on the ice. Asking for Semin - Galchy and Eller to have instant chemistry is plain ridiculus. They have some, still they have work to do, so would have any new created combo.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I'll give him at least 15 games before passing a judgement. He's getting used to his linemates and seems to be still adjusting to MT's system.

For now I'd just wish he'd shoot more and stop trying to deke the entire D before making a pass/shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad